The end of Comrade Pat

Started by Donagh, August 23, 2007, 01:19:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donagh

I suppose it was on the cards

RTE saying Pat is making a "major announcement" at 3.30. Speculating he will resign.

Declan

Step forward Eamon Gilmore or will one of old Lab get it???

Gnevin

I thought this was about Pat Kenny till i heard the news
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Shamrock Shore

No surprise there. I can see Gilmore in the running alright or Lady Wicklow. Howlin is a spent force but may be persuaded by the Old Labour comrades to try again.

As long as it's not that Auld Moaney Hole Joan Burton. Lectured me in College of Commerce in Rathmines in 1986 and 1987 and my feelings for her can go no lower.

magpie seanie

QuoteAuld Moaney Hole Joan Burton

How apt.

Declan

QuoteAuld Moaney Hole Joan Burton

Voice that's only good for scaring crows as some contributor on politics.ie put it.

Though mind you SS if she helped get you through college she must be a miracle worker ;) ;)

Teeling Gael

Would imagine Willie Penrose will be close to getting the job also.

john mcgill

And here was me thinking it was Pat Spillane from the Sunday Game.  Wishful thinking.......

Shamrock Shore

Quote[Though mind you SS if she helped get you through college she must be a miracle worker]

It was the likes of her that made me quit full-time education, take up training in an accountancy practice and go to evening/weekend lectures. Standard of lecturers in the private colleges like Grffith College were miles ahead of the full-time alternative.

Penrose may indeed be seen as a 'Jack Lynch' type compromise candidate and may well go for it. Media profile though may count agin him as it's pretty low.

Donagh

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on August 23, 2007, 02:46:40 PM
No surprise there. I can see Gilmore in the running alright or Lady Wicklow. Howlin is a spent force but may be persuaded by the Old Labour comrades to try again.

As long as it's not that Auld Moaney Hole Joan Burton. Lectured me in College of Commerce in Rathmines in 1986 and 1987 and my feelings for her can go no lower.

Had a cup of tae with her and Tuffy during the election campaign and was very impressed by both. Very intelligent and forward thinking in their approach to the 'Tiger' economy (as opposed to the old school Sticky ideologs that seem to dominate the Party).

Billys Boots

Quotethe old school Sticky ideologs

I hear the party faithful have had their fill of that mob, and a return to Dimples-O'Deary-mode is inevitable.  :P
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on August 23, 2007, 02:46:40 PM

I thought the thread was about pat SPILLANE resigning
thats how much I am into politics !

as for moany joan burton (tried to give herself a bit of a makeover before and during the last election)
I had her canvassing as am in her constituency.
Dont think she will be back door stepping on my road again , I was completley nice but gave her a littany of things that she needed to investagate and rectify in the area/country. She couldnt get away quick enough. I even bore politicians.

Mentalman

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on August 23, 2007, 03:58:36 PM
Penrose may indeed be seen as a 'Jack Lynch' type compromise candidate and may well go for it. Media profile though may count agin him as it's pretty low.

In fairness, in the modern media era, poor old Willie would need a serious re-modelling. Great constituancy TD though, truly excellent, but wouldn't have the media profile. Pity.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

we are blue... etc

No matter who gets the job I don't see anything changing in the Labour party any time soon. Even the unions in this country don't vote for them