Brexit: Stop border controls petition

Started by snatter, May 25, 2016, 05:52:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snatter

Please sign our petition to stop border controls.

Please share @Irish4Europe

https://t.co/mPzeeoWZR9

No wides

snatter

Can't agree with you "No Wides".

I want to stop this happening again.

Sign the petition at https://t.co/mPzeeoWZR9 and share.

AZOffaly

Why would we stop border controls? Unregulated free movement is a good thing?

LeoMc

So you want a petition to stop something that isn't happening and that there are no plans to introduce?

Can we get a petition to stop Warwickshire winning the All-Ireland and one to stop Bolivia invading Rockall?

Rossfan

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 25, 2016, 11:31:12 AM
Why would we stop border controls? Unregulated free movement is a good thing?

If the Border between 6 and 26 Cos.is closed you'll have some effin delays anytime Offaly play up North.
Probably have contractors on full time work rebuilding them every week as the locals demolish them ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

AZOffaly

I presume he means throughout Europe? To be honest I'm glad someone checks my passport etc when I go to a different country. Although as you say, I'm not sure driving from france to spain, or spain to portugal, you'd see this. I know you don't see it in dundalk anyway :)

Rossfan

Wait till ye're playing Warwickshire....
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

AZOffaly

Apologies, I just read the actual petition now. I can't see border patrols being brought back in here.

armaghniac

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 25, 2016, 11:37:11 AM
I presume he means throughout Europe? To be honest I'm glad someone checks my passport etc when I go to a different country. Although as you say, I'm not sure driving from france to spain, or spain to portugal, you'd see this. I know you don't see it in dundalk anyway :)

He is clearly talking about this island and it isn't something to sneer at just because you don't live near the border.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

AZOffaly

See my post above. I didn't read the petition, and the picture made me think he was on about Europe in general. Apologies for the confusion. And I don't think there is going to be any new border patrols between NI and ROI.

armaghniac

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 25, 2016, 11:51:38 AM
See my post above. I didn't read the petition, and the picture made me think he was on about Europe in general. Apologies for the confusion. And I don't think there is going to be any new border patrols between NI and ROI.

One hopes that Brexit will fail. If it does not there might not be any problems in Ireland at the border, but presumably the Brits want to change something in relation to borders, otherwise they would not have all this palaver, and that change is hardly likely to be positive, however limited it might be.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

GJL

Quote from: armaghniac on May 25, 2016, 12:04:36 PM

One hopes that Brexit will fail. If it does not there might not be any problems in Ireland at the border, but presumably the Brits want to change something in relation to borders, otherwise they would not have all this palaver, and that change is hardly likely to be positive, however limited it might be.

I'd be amazed if Brexit gets a yes. I predict at least 60% vote to stay.

general_lee

Could you imagine the British army returning to South Armagh. Sitting ducks springs to mind.

snatter

Quote from: GJL on May 25, 2016, 12:15:26 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on May 25, 2016, 12:04:36 PM

I'd be amazed if Brexit gets a yes. I predict at least 60% vote to stay.

A Brexit will only get a No vote if people actually get off the sofa and vote for it, or even better campaign against it.
That's why I want people to sign and share the petition.

A Brexit might seem moronic to most sane people, paticularly young, or degree educated.
Particularly so in Northern Ireland which would bear the brunt.

A Brexit would have to mean some form of border control between Ireland and Northern Ireland, in terms of both trade and immigration.

The problem is that in England, particularly SE England, there's a huge constituency, a lot of it little Englander, and anti-migration, that believe the diet of anti-EU garbage coming from the likes of the
Mail/Sun/Express. And they don't give a sh1t about Northern Ireland or anywhere else tbh.

That's why the threat is real - particularly if enough young people don't vote.