Muineacháin v An Dún 5ú Meitheamh Ulster GAA Football Senior Championship

Started by babarino, May 11, 2016, 10:55:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DownFanatic

Very low key build up to this game from a Down perspective.
Can see us sticking with Monaghan for about three quarters of the game.
I would worry about us at midfield and the containment process of McManus.

Aristo 60

When was the last time we won a championship game in clones against any county?

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Aristo 60 on June 01, 2016, 11:53:08 AM
When was the last time we won a championship game in clones against any county?

Was the semi final in 2012 v Monaghan in Clones?

Mourne Rover

We beat Fermanagh at Clones in the USC semi final of 2003, 2-10 to 0-11. It was the game in which big Paddy sent on Shane King as a sub against his former county, and then quietly introduced wee James while the Fermanagh players were queuing up to jostle King. James inevitably got the decisive goal, which got us through to the drawn final when Gregory McCartan was the victim of an outrageous red card against Tyrone. We will draw a veil over the replay.

twohands!!!

Quote from: DownFanatic on June 01, 2016, 10:55:50 AM
Very low key build up to this game from a Down perspective.
Can see us sticking with Monaghan for about three quarters of the game.
I would worry about us at midfield and the containment process of McManus.

Hardly a surprise given the league campaign - the record of team's relegated from Division 1 tends to be very poor in that year's championship and if anyone is going to buck that trend I'd say Cork have a far better chance as they did get 3 wins but 7 losses from 7 is just abysmal form heading into the championship.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: OgraAnDun on June 01, 2016, 03:40:39 PM
Quote from: A man from Down on June 01, 2016, 01:10:19 PM
No the Athletic Grounds in Armagh

That's right. The escape from Armagh.

That was a sore day from a Monaghan perspective, ye were 9 points down at half-time if I remember correctly.. Laverty was absolutely everywhere and on fire!

It was also Eamonn McEnaney's last Ulster Championship game as manager, which wasn't a bad thing in most peoples opinion..

Maguire01

Quote from: armaghniac on June 01, 2016, 01:29:02 AM
Quote from: 5 Sams on May 31, 2016, 10:50:51 PM
Buying in advance from Supervalue saves you money. Where's the hassle?

maybe the time taken to find the nearest Supervalu that actually sells tickets?
Have they been hidden?

Maguire01

Quote from: Boycey on May 31, 2016, 10:45:13 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on May 31, 2016, 09:58:03 PM
Quote from: Boycey on May 31, 2016, 09:16:56 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on May 31, 2016, 07:31:14 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on May 30, 2016, 04:11:44 PM
Rearing a squad of wains for the past 5 years has put me out of touch with such things. But the pay on the day price of €30 for a seat in the stand raised an eyebrow. When did we start getting charged day-out-in-croker prices for 1st round Championship matches?

The Association has lost the run of itself.
The advance purchase prices for 2016 are the same as the prices in 2010. 7 years without a price rise is unheard of for just about anything. I think it's great value for money. No excuse for not buying in advance.

The only thing that I don't understand is the vast difference between the price to sit and stand. It's also an issue that a covered seat and an uncovered seat cost the same, especially if the weather is bad.

€25/€30 for any 1st round Ulster Championship match is poor enough value in my book..
So stand for €15/£12 then.

I will stand but not on account of the price rather that I prefer to stand at a match... For what it's worth that's also poor value at €15 or €18 at the gate.
Compares very favourably with other sports.

Maguire01

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on June 01, 2016, 05:39:39 PM

That was a sore day from a Monaghan perspective, ye were 9 points down at half-time if I remember correctly.. Laverty was absolutely everywhere and on fire!

It was also Eamonn McEnaney's last Ulster Championship game as manager, which wasn't a bad thing in most peoples opinion..
Yep, if we'd won this we may well have had the same fate as Down in the Ulster Final, which would have been no help. It all worked out!

OgraAnDun

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on June 01, 2016, 05:39:39 PM

9 points up after some absolutely criminal refereeing decisions.

SHEEDY

nil satis nisi optimum

Mourne Rover

Paddy Power's first/last goalscorer odds for Sunday will be based on a combination of research and insider information. They suggest that we will be starting with O'Hare and Barry O'Hagan in the full forward line, with Poland and Murphy behind them, McKernan and Conall McGovern in sweeper roles and Turley and Brown at midfield.  We cannot be certain that they are on the right track, but it is fairly close to the line-up we might have expected. The PP list also includes Carr and O'Hanlon, who were always likely for the half backs. We can be fairly sure that Kane will be in goals, Gerard McGovern and Darren O'Hagan will be in front of him and McArdle should be there somewhere. That leaves one final defensive slot, which could go in a number of directions depending on Howard's fitness. It's all speculation of course and Burns might like to throw in a couple of surprises along the way.