Guardian short film about the GAA club in Ballyhaunis

Started by seafoid, July 15, 2017, 06:45:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thefont

Crete Boom

Quote from: seafoid on July 15, 2017, 06:45:02 AM
https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng-interactive/2017/jul/14/pitching-up-ancient-sports-for-children-in-irelands-most-ethnically-diverse-town

They might find a few forwards !
Great stuff

Maybe we will and maybe ye might win another championship match in Croker some time this century!

Super effort by Ballyhaunis Gaa, just shows what can be achieved.

seafoid

Pure dĂșthracht. A super advertisement for the town.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

sligoman2

Great stuff.  Well done to all involved - and it's not that short of a film. 

We need a few of those lads in Sligo...
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Denn Forever

Good to see that.  What is it like sswhen play other clubs?  A bit of division here when the kids play against opposion clubs.  Not good at all.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

theticklemister

Itchy

Tremendous. Every club should reach out to any kid they can in their community.

magpie seanie

I saw that yesterday and it was brilliant. Thoroughly enjoyed it, especially the Pakistani hurler with the thick Mayo accent. This is a prime example of what the GAA is really about. Well done Ballyhaunis. Keep it up.

Syferus

Honestly, knowing the area well already Toreen (Ballyhaunis' opponents in the county final) is a more compelling story. People don't realise how tiny a club it is, or that it only plays hurling. It's a club that has no right to exist yet there it is every year competing with the best clubs at Intermediate in Connacht.

Ballagh, a short trip down the road through Brackloon and Lisacul, have had to try to integrate as much diversity as Ballyhaunis has so the bloviating by the lad at the start came across a little disingenuous.

Ballaghman

Quote from: Syferus on July 17, 2017, 05:12:41 PM
Honestly, knowing the area well already Toreen (Ballyhaunis' opponents in the county final) is a more compelling story. People don't realise how tiny a club it is, or that it only plays hurling.

Ballagh, a short trip down the road through Brackloon and Lisacul, have had to try to integrate as much diversity as Ballyhaunis has so the bloviating by the lad at the start came across a little disingenuous.
Ballagh is nowhere near Ballyhaunis' level  for immigration and integration Syf........yet. With the influx of Syrians the town will be similar to Ballyhaunis in time but is many years behind. Butler was dead right in saying Ballyhaunis is the most cosmopolitan and diverse town in Ireland, has been the case especially since the convent was converted into a refugee centre back in the 90s or thereabouts.

Syferus

Quote from: Ballaghman on July 17, 2017, 05:17:07 PM
Honestly, knowing the area well already Toreen (Ballyhaunis' opponents in the county final) is a more compelling story. People don't realise how tiny a club it is, or that it only plays hurling.

Ballagh is nowhere near Ballyhaunis' level  for immigration and integration Syf........yet. With the influx of Syrians the town will be similar to Ballyhaunis in time but is many years behind. Butler was dead right in saying Ballyhaunis is the most cosmopolitan and diverse town in Ireland, has been the case especially since the convent was converted into a refugee centre back in the 90s or thereabouts.

The Syrians will be transient and few if any will remain in the area once their time in the hotel is up because they will be rehoused elsewhere. Ballagh has had a large Muslim community for nearly as long as Ballhaunis, and in the last twenty years many eastern Europeans have settled locally too. And with everyone under 20 leaving as fast as the ink dries on their Leaving Cert results thank God for them all or the town would be totally dead now.

I don't see why you're trying to defend what was simply a lad who saw a camera and decided to pump up his town a little. Unless he has census data on hand I'm sure he wasn't comparing Ballyhaunis scientifically to all the even more diverse small towns in the commuter belt in Leinster..

Tubberman

Quote from: Syferus on July 17, 2017, 05:23:25 PM

The Syrians will be transient and few if any will remain in the area once their time in the hotel is up because they will be rehoused elsewhere. Ballagh has had a large Muslim community for nearly as long as Ballhaunis, and in the last twenty years many eastern Europeans have settled locally too. And with everyone under 20 leaving as fast as the ink dries on their Leaving Cert results thank God for them all or the town would be totally dead now.

I don't see why you're trying to defend what was simply a lad who saw a camera and decided to pump up his town a little. Unless he has census data on hand I'm sure he wasn't comparing Ballyhaunis scientifically to all the even more diverse small towns in the commuter belt in Leinster..

I don't see why you have to turn it into a competition and completely miss the bigger picture.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Tubberman on July 17, 2017, 07:21:19 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 17, 2017, 05:23:25 PM

I don't see why you have to turn it into a competition and completely miss the bigger picture.

Pointing out something and someone responding to it is hardly missing the bigger picture. What they're doing is lovely, but let's not think other communities haven't done the same.

It should also be noted that the Ballyhaunis team that won the Mayo county title last year contained no minorities at all - that is as much a sign as anything as to how incomplete a project the whole endeavour is.

Much more needs to be done, which is why all the back-patting this Guardian documentary is getting is a little harder to swallow as someone who knows how big the divisions remain in Ballyhaunis, Ballagh and I'm very sure throughout the country.