Dublin v Mayo - AISF

Started by Jinxy, August 04, 2012, 08:45:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosnarun

i think the truth is we know very little about Mayo this year .
i have seen every game they played so far FBD league and championship  but could not connect the dots . they went in a few weeks from being humiliated by donegal to hammering Dublin to gettting a beating off cork in the final . same in championship very poor against sligo and then hammering Down.
the only thing id say is none of my money will be going on the game on sunday as its a real anything can happen Game.
As for dublin not sure who it was said it but 'they are stumbling along waiting for some one to put them out of their misery'
No wonder they are getting the Bonfire ready in the Hills.
ive a feeling the wont be a dole cheque cashed in Letterkenny this winter
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Greenabovethered

I just hope we can keep the ball kicked out to the Dublin lads and to give them a good workout before they meet Donegal.

bucko

Quote from: Greenabovethered on August 29, 2012, 12:05:40 PM
I just hope we can keep the ball kicked out to the Dublin lads and to give them a good workout before they meet Donegal.
Bloody hell, some pessimism in that post re our chances on Sunday!!! I'd class us as having a chance but only if we up our performance again from the Down game. If Freeman starts, O'Connor and Conroy will have to work a lot harder to win their own ball and get their own scores as Freeman won't provide the options that Andy was setting up.

Hound

This is a match where I'd expect every single supporter to be reasonably confident that if their lads play well, they'll progress to the All Ireland Final.

From a Dublin perspective, I'm hoping for the minimum of changes.

Bernard and Connolly in the full forward line.

Cullen-Alan-Flynn as the half forwards.

3 man midfield of Macauley, Fennell, Bastick. Macauley having the most freedom to attack and the least to do defensively (he's an awkward looking tackler anyway, arms and legs flailing, which doesnt usually go down well with refs.) Some say Fennell should be dropped, but he fielded very well against Laois, so I think we need him competing in there against the big Mayo lads.

Defence to be left as is, I hope. No place for Ger, although there is a lot who'd want him back. Not that I've anything against him, but the other 6 are doing well.

Expecting a good exciting clean game, which should be relatively easy to ref. Hopefully the ref is hardly noticed and isnt handing out soft frees to either side.

Crete Boom

Quote from: Hound on August 29, 2012, 02:16:57 PM
This is a match where I'd expect every single supporter to be reasonably confident that if their lads play well, they'll progress to the All Ireland Final.

From a Dublin perspective, I'm hoping for the minimum of changes.

Bernard and Connolly in the full forward line.

Cullen-Alan-Flynn as the half forwards.

3 man midfield of Macauley, Fennell, Bastick. Macauley having the most freedom to attack and the least to do defensively (he's an awkward looking tackler anyway, arms and legs flailing, which doesnt usually go down well with refs.) Some say Fennell should be dropped, but he fielded very well against Laois, so I think we need him competing in there against the big Mayo lads.

Defence to be left as is, I hope. No place for Ger, although there is a lot who'd want him back. Not that I've anything against him, but the other 6 are doing well.

Expecting a good exciting clean game, which should be relatively easy to ref. Hopefully the ref is hardly noticed and isnt handing out soft frees to either side.

That's the key Hound. It seems to be feast or famine in the last couple of years with refs. You either get a game where everything is let go i.e cynical fouling on and off the ball, or a free given everytime a player breathes near the opposition which only ends up ruining the game for both sets of players and supporters.

camanchero

Quote from: heffo on August 29, 2012, 10:17:43 AM
The prevalent view in Dublin from what I can see if that Dublin will edge a tight game. If Dublin can recapture their form from last year, I'd agree with that.

If Dublin play like they have all year then Mayo will win provided their form is right.
thats what I'd think too Heff.

Though Dublin hadnt actually hit form last year coming into the Tyrone game- and they just rocketed off that night - which took me by surprise a bit.
It is prob unrealistic to think they can just turn it on again.
This could be a dogfight and Mayo could edge it !

An Gaeilgoir

Was speaking to one of the Mayo lads last night, the confidence and belief in both the system and the manager, as he spoke i have to was astonishing............ i know this lad for quite a while and i can't put my finger on it, but he seems supremely confident in himself and the lads around him, no heads down this time or any trace of self- doubt............. it is some turn around from Longford!

Captain Obvious

Quote from: ck on August 29, 2012, 09:35:25 AM
I think Mayo will suprise a few people even without their best forward. That said, they won't beat Dublin. Dublin who are not the team they were last year will still romp home by 6 points. Donegal will beat Dublin in the final
Surprise a few and then lose by six? most here are expecting Mayo to win or least go down fighting.

Crete Boom

I think Horan & co believe this is a great opportunity not just to beat Dublin but go all the way. He probably feels he's got his backroom team and tactics in place and he seems to have great faith in his panel at the moment despite Andy's injury. For me I'm only thinking of Sunday and how we can win?
  Firstly I would guess Horan will go for Freeman at fullforward to replace Andy. Assuming we stick to our gameplan used so far or at least a close variation of it ,it'll be quick, accurate direct ball into the inside line with runners peeling around the corner with goals in mind first and points second mixed with a running game with McLoughlin ,Vaughan and Boyle expected to punch holes in the Dublin rearguard. This will mean the burden of scoring from distance will probably rest with Dillion and hopefully our midfield and wing backs can chip in with a few as well.
Midfield will be where we will try to gain an edge and even a slight edge here will relieve pressure off our backs allowing Keane , Higgins and Caff to get tight and frustrate whoever they mark. Keegan will probably have the unenviable task of marking Alan Brogan and hopefully he'll relish it. Breaking ball as always will be key to the midfield battle so Doc , Dillion and Kevin Mac will have to work hard to back up the two big men and our half backs in this.
So allowing that things go well and our backs can keep a lid on what can be potentially an explosive Dublin forward line (with plenty of goals in them) , midfield and our inside line is where we could potentially come a cropper.
Can Conroy get his radar consistent for the game? Can Jason Doc add a few more scores to his high workrate? Can we neutralize the influence of Flynn and McCauley in the middle third and cut off Dublin primary possession?
Will we be able to create scoring chances if Dillion is curtailed ever so slightly at periods during the game/ Can O'Shea and Moran dominate at all in the middle?
Lots of questions to be answered I know so I'll try and keep it short! I think we could possibly get the possesion we need in the middle and just about manage the Dublin attack but will be caught short up front probably due to relying too heavily on Dillion and O'Connor for scores. This I think will lead to a narrow loss of a couple of points and the lack of unspectacular but consistent score getter who can win say 50% of his own ball in the full forward position is the reason while we will come up short this year , if not in this game then the final.
Just to add I fully expect the Dubs to be on top form and the above assessment is based on us playing to top form also. If we slip back to say our league final performance I expect a convincing Dublin win.

saffronandblue

Varley to start from what I hear with only Feeney an outside chance on the half forward line with Doherty moving up. 

Have never been a fan of Horan as people on here know, but would love to say that I had it all wrong.  I believe that management has some blame to take for us not having forward options available.  I believe that Mortimer and Kilcoyne are better players that have been over looked for inferior ones.  Only Horan can tell us why.  I hope Sunday informs me differently.

I would love Horan to make a brave call and put McLoughlin at Full Forward.  He has played there before and would be a real hand full for any full back.  The fact that we have no cover for him on the half forward line shows how poor our bench options are.  I would also like to see Evan Regan from Ballina involved.  Has been playing well and might well squeeze his way into the 26.

Looking forward to the trip up with the clan.  I just hope that all this confidence in Horan proves to be correct.

Up Mayo!!!!!!!!!

Farrandeelin

Quote from: bucko on August 29, 2012, 01:16:59 PM
Quote from: Greenabovethered on August 29, 2012, 12:05:40 PM
Bloody hell, some pessimism in that post re our chances on Sunday!!! I'd class us as having a chance but only if we up our performance again from the Down game. If Freeman starts, O'Connor and Conroy will have to work a lot harder to win their own ball and get their own scores as Freeman won't provide the options that Andy was setting up.
I see it as a sarcastic post not a pessimistic post.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

bucko

Quote from: saffronandblue on August 29, 2012, 06:39:51 PM
Varley to start from what I hear with only Feeney an outside chance on the half forward line with Doherty moving up. 

Have never been a fan of Horan as people on here know, but would love to say that I had it all wrong.  I believe that management has some blame to take for us not having forward options available.  I believe that Mortimer and Kilcoyne are better players that have been over looked for inferior ones.  Only Horan can tell us why.  I hope Sunday informs me differently.

I would love Horan to make a brave call and put McLoughlin at Full Forward.  He has played there before and would be a real hand full for any full back.  The fact that we have no cover for him on the half forward line shows how poor our bench options are.  I would also like to see Evan Regan from Ballina involved.  Has been playing well and might well squeeze his way into the 26.

Looking forward to the trip up with the clan.  I just hope that all this confidence in Horan proves to be correct.

Up Mayo!!!!!!!!!

Would it be realistic for Kilcoyne to be involved if he's working in the UK? It must be hard enough travelling over and back for Knockmores club matchs, to do it to the extent needed to be involved with the county would be nigh on impossible and of no benefit to Kilcoyne or the squad. IMO Mortimer's non involvement with the squad is as much to do with himself as it is with Horan. Whether Horan should try and mend bridges with him is a whole other topic. As it stands we've got to make do with what we have and hope that the guys who start up front as whole can deliver a performance to make up for Andy's loss.

ballinaman

Quote from: saffronandblue on August 29, 2012, 06:39:51 PM

Up Mayo!!!!!!!!!
Don't fancy Varley from the start IMO. Kerry had him sussed after 10 mins last year,i think he's better off the bench running at corner backs in the 2nd half.

highorlow

Anything official on the team news.

Varley is flying in training.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

moysider

Quote from: Crete Boom on August 29, 2012, 05:14:06 PM
I think Horan & co believe this is a great opportunity not just to beat Dublin but go all the way. He probably feels he's got his backroom team and tactics in place and he seems to have great faith in his panel at the moment despite Andy's injury. For me I'm only thinking of Sunday and how we can win?
  Firstly I would guess Horan will go for Freeman at fullforward to replace Andy. Assuming we stick to our gameplan used so far or at least a close variation of it ,it'll be quick, accurate direct ball into the inside line with runners peeling around the corner with goals in mind first and points second mixed with a running game with McLoughlin ,Vaughan and Boyle expected to punch holes in the Dublin rearguard. This will mean the burden of scoring from distance will probably rest with Dillion and hopefully our midfield and wing backs can chip in with a few as well.
Midfield will be where we will try to gain an edge and even a slight edge here will relieve pressure off our backs allowing Keane , Higgins and Caff to get tight and frustrate whoever they mark. Keegan will probably have the unenviable task of marking Alan Brogan and hopefully he'll relish it. Breaking ball as always will be key to the midfield battle so Doc , Dillion and Kevin Mac will have to work hard to back up the two big men and our half backs in this.
So allowing that things go well and our backs can keep a lid on what can be potentially an explosive Dublin forward line (with plenty of goals in them) , midfield and our inside line is where we could potentially come a cropper.
Can Conroy get his radar consistent for the game? Can Jason Doc add a few more scores to his high workrate? Can we neutralize the influence of Flynn and McCauley in the middle third and cut off Dublin primary possession?
Will we be able to create scoring chances if Dillion is curtailed ever so slightly at periods during the game/ Can O'Shea and Moran dominate at all in the middle?
Lots of questions to be answered I know so I'll try and keep it short! I think we could possibly get the possesion we need in the middle and just about manage the Dublin attack but will be caught short up front probably due to relying too heavily on Dillion and O'Connor for scores. This I think will lead to a narrow loss of a couple of points and the lack of unspectacular but consistent score getter who can win say 50% of his own ball in the full forward position is the reason while we will come up short this year , if not in this game then the final.
Just to add I fully expect the Dubs to be on top form and the above assessment is based on us playing to top form also. If we slip back to say our league final performance I expect a convincing Dublin win.

Good stuff as usual Crete Boom.

I d disagree with the bit in bold a bit. The quick accurate ball inside was used to keep defenses honest but was entirely dependent on the presence of Andy Moran being inside. I know a lot of people want to be optimistic and want to move on from the Andy injury but we dont have the resources to replicate Andy s qualities inside. End of.

I detected a change in emphasis after the Ballyshannon fiasco. Maybe I was imagining things but the penny seemed to drop with the Mayo management that kicking ball into the corner men was just gettin us beat on turnovers - especially against likes of Donegal who snaffle spilled ball and turn it into a score at the other end in a shot.

Andy  Moran meant we could keep defenses guessing by using him as a target man to mix it up with our preferred running game.

The Dubs should be able to comfortably leave their markers to look after our inside men with some degree of confidence and concentrate and stopping our runners, who will be the main threat.

Horan has to find a way to give us another edge. Cant see a direct replacement at 14 getting any joy. Maybe a 2 man ff line but what exactly does he get the extra man to do. Another big man to counteract Dublins big trio in the middle? Another runner like Feeney or Gardiner?