Roald Dahl - your favourite book

Started by Puckoon, January 03, 2008, 08:55:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which Roald Dahl book was/is your favourite?

James and the Giant Peach
3 (4.5%)
Charlie and the chocolate factory
8 (12.1%)
The magic Finger
2 (3%)
Fantastic Mr Fox
18 (27.3%)
Charlie and the great glass elevator
4 (6.1%)
Danny, the champion of the world
24 (36.4%)
The wonderful story of henry sugar
3 (4.5%)
The Enormous crocodile
0 (0%)
The Twits
10 (15.2%)
Georges Marvellous Medicine
5 (7.6%)
The BFG
10 (15.2%)
The Witches
9 (13.6%)
Matilda
2 (3%)
Boy
2 (3%)
Going Solo
1 (1.5%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Orangemac

BFG and Danny Champion of the World for me.

Books will stand the test of time for all generations.

Dahl seems to have had an amazing life. Worked for secret services during WWII in America and allegedly slept with every rich woman on the East coast of America.

Invented some kind of tube for brain illnesses and developed his own rehabilitation method for his wife after she had stroke in between writing books.

His granddaughter is a nice piece as an aside.

tyssam5

Quote from: Orangemac on September 14, 2010, 12:08:10 AM
BFG and Danny Champion of the World for me.

Books will stand the test of time for all generations.

Dahl seems to have had an amazing life
. Worked for secret services during WWII in America and allegedly slept with every rich woman on the East coast of America.

Invented some kind of tube for brain illnesses and developed his own rehabilitation method for his wife after she had stroke in between writing books.

His granddaughter is a nice piece as an aside.

This bit from his wiki page is quite funny.

"There he fell in and out of love with a nurse, Mary Welland. Dahl had fallen in love with her voice while he was blind, but once he regained his sight, he decided that he no longer loved her.

Rois

The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar (and six more)

I still can't decide if it's true or not.

Billys Boots

Quote from: Rois on September 14, 2010, 09:26:31 AM
The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar (and six more)

I still can't decide if it's true or not.

Now that is one wonderful book.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

deiseach

Am I the only one who treats Boy and Going Solo as mostly fiction? The stories about his mother* ring true, but much of the rest has a Forrest Gump quality, anecdotes that he picked up along the way

*I hope my wife never reads either. His mother is quite simply the greatest creature who ever lived. If my wife were to read them she'd get even more ratty about the nature of the relationship a mother will have with her son . . .

Aerlik

By a couple of country miles my favourite was "The wonderful world of Henry Sugar".  We read it in 3rd. year English at St.Pats with wee Paddy Joe Doherty our teacher.  I loved that book.  I even started "practicing" "tunnel focussing", where you hold your eyes steady enough at a distant object and eventually you will be able to blank everything out that lies between you and the object you're focussing on.  Works, but still I haven't managed to see through the cards on the poker table.  Damn.  Back to training.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

J OGorman

Brilliant author.

Bought my wee girl a spindle of Roald Dahl audio books on CD (all the classics) a few years ago, best present I ever got anyone

http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/the-roald-dahl-audio-collection--27-cds

Danny the Champion of The World for me...great memories of my Da reading it to me

delboy

Danny champion of the world and amazing Mr fox.

Honourable mention: 'Tales of the unexpected' if only because they are completely different from the kids books and I can conjur up the theme music and the the outline of the woman dancing against the tarot card background instantly upon the mention of it.

Yer Ma

Has to be Charlie And The Chocolate Factory - I remember near drooling when Charlie and his Grandpa sail across a chocolate lake.

The Twits was fantastic too, and I feel guilty not giving George's Marvellous Medicine a vote. I remember Rik Mayall I think telling that one on Jackanory.