Roald Dahl - your favourite book

Started by Puckoon, January 03, 2008, 08:55:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which Roald Dahl book was/is your favourite?

James and the Giant Peach
3 (4.5%)
Charlie and the chocolate factory
8 (12.1%)
The magic Finger
2 (3%)
Fantastic Mr Fox
18 (27.3%)
Charlie and the great glass elevator
4 (6.1%)
Danny, the champion of the world
24 (36.4%)
The wonderful story of henry sugar
3 (4.5%)
The Enormous crocodile
0 (0%)
The Twits
10 (15.2%)
Georges Marvellous Medicine
5 (7.6%)
The BFG
10 (15.2%)
The Witches
9 (13.6%)
Matilda
2 (3%)
Boy
2 (3%)
Going Solo
1 (1.5%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Puckoon

So with a little insomnia and thoughts of the hunting thread and my sister in laws resemblence to Miss Trunchbull running through my head, I arrived at a discourse Ive had with myself many more times than is possibly normal. It'd be nice to have someone elses opinion.
Im sure many of us read Roald Dahl growing up and Im wondering what the rest of you think is his greatest childrens book. Ive only polled the ones Ive read, as they appeared to be the most mainstream from what I can remember. Ill add any others upon request.

Its impossible for me to pick one, so everyone gets two votes and an honourable mention.
#1. Fantastic Mr Fox
#2. Danny the Champion of the world

Honourable mention - the somewhat biographical Boy.

his holiness nb

Fantastic Author and I imagine the votes will spread out amongst many of the books.
Ask me holy bollix

Puckoon

Stick down which books you voted for folks, if you wouldnt mind and have the time.
Cheers.

his holiness nb

Quote from: Puckoon on January 03, 2008, 09:07:55 AM
Stick down which books you voted for folks, if you wouldnt mind and have the time.
Cheers.

So many good ones so I voted the ones I remember most, the Twits and Boys.
Ask me holy bollix

Billys Boots

Danny, the champion of the world
The wonderful story of henry sugar
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

his holiness nb

Its like being asked to pick your favourite beatles songs, so many good ones.

While on the topic of this thread I made a vow a few months back when it was discovered that Her Holiness was expecting that I would put a Roald Dahl book away every few weeks for when he / she is old enough to read. Priceless imagination.
Ask me holy bollix

Puckoon

Quote from: his holiness nb on January 03, 2008, 09:30:49 AM
Its like being asked to pick your favourite beatles songs, so many good ones.
While on the topic of this thread I made a vow a few months back when it was discovered that Her Holiness was expecting that I would put a Roald Dahl book away every few weeks for when he / she is old enough to read. Priceless imagination.

So do you think this is a fruitless exercise? Im just hoping to get plenty of opinions and maybe confirm fantastic mr fox as the best childrens book of all time. ;)

his holiness nb

Fruitless? Not at all, actually a very interesting one and I have no idea which will come out on top.
No votes for Charlie or James yet, probably the most well know.
Ask me holy bollix

Puckoon

My memory of james and the giant peach is not liking it. That and the great glass elevator were probably my least favourite.

Deal_Me_In

Had to go eith Danny the Champion of the World and the BFG. Was a very tough decision having to leave out Fantastic MrFox and the Witches.

stpauls

for me it has to be The BFG, with The Twits following a very close second! great memories reading them as a kid!

supersarsfields

Fantastic Mr Fox by a right distance!!

The Real Laoislad

Charlie and the Chocolate factory and Charlie and the glass elevator for me...
Though i did prefer Enid Blyton when i was a young lad
You'll Never Walk Alone.

ziggysego

Was a big fan of the Twits when I was younger. When to Coleraine University one year from school, to see them perform it in a play. I loved it.

Also a fan of The Witches. Excellent book and the film's not bad either.
Testing Accessibility

Sky Blue

Some fantastic books there! He has a very unique style. Is he dead or something?