The Whiskey Thread

Started by gallsman, December 08, 2014, 03:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HiMucker

Quote from: macdanger2 on June 09, 2015, 02:04:28 PM
Can anyone recommend a nice peaty whiskey?? I've tried Connemara but was wondering if there are any other options around?

Irish if possible but if not, what would you recommend from other countries?
Bit late, but I got a bottle of Jura superstition at duty free and thought it was lovely.  Very smokey.  The first sip of a glass always seems harsh but lovely and smooth after.  A few of the mates who would be die hard Irish Whiskey drinkers were convinced enough to buy a bottle.

Tony Baloney

Have never really got past the smell to contemplate drinking whiskey. However I was in a bar in Edinburgh a couple of weeks ago called Whiski and it was full of young people and tourists drinking it so I thought maybe I'm missing something.

Anyone suggest a decent starter whiskey that won't put me off for life?

gallsman

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 11, 2015, 08:46:35 AM
Have never really got past the smell to contemplate drinking whiskey. However I was in a bar in Edinburgh a couple of weeks ago called Whiski and it was full of young people and tourists drinking it so I thought maybe I'm missing something.

Something smooth, but not overly pricy - Black Bush, Crested Ten, the Irishman. I used to buy a (then) cheapy one in Tesco in the north called Coleraine that was Bushmills stock I believe. More than acceptable.

Tony Baloney

Being traitorous and bought Aberlour 10 y.o. on recommendation of a fella in work who said it was 20 quid in Sainsbury's. Have yet to tackle it. He said a couple of drops of room temperature water will "open it up". Not sure what any of this means  ???

Jell 0 Biafra

Don't listen to him.  Never yet had a whiskey that was improved by adding water. 

ashman

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on December 05, 2015, 08:23:08 PM
Don't listen to him.  Never yet had a whiskey that was improved by adding water.
[/quote

Putting water in whiskey or whisky should be criminalised.

gallsman

Utter bollocks. In plenty of cases it improves it by releasing different flavours. Take cask strength whiskey for example. Drink it neat and the only taste you get is burning because of the alcohol content. Drop of water is perfect.

gallsman

Speaking of cask strength whiskey, got a present of Nikka from the Barrel a few months ago. Beautiful stuff.

5 Sams

Had my first drop in quite a while last night at a Christmas do. Bog standard Jameson with one small cube of ice. Gorgeous.
The Aristocrat Years

Tony Baloney

Quote from: hardstation on December 05, 2015, 09:54:15 PM
Tony Baloney - find out for yourself. Out of 100 d**kheads, 50 will tell you water, 50 will tell you no water. Trial & error it.
Aye I'll have a rattle now and report back  ;D

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Tony Baloney on December 05, 2015, 10:01:04 PM
Quote from: hardstation on December 05, 2015, 09:54:15 PM
Tony Baloney - find out for yourself. Out of 100 d**kheads, 50 will tell you water, 50 will tell you no water. Trial & error it.
Aye I'll have a rattle now and report back  ;D
Didn't mind it without as I didn't get much burn from it. Still not sure whiskey is for me though.

JoG2

Quote from: gallsman on November 11, 2015, 09:16:18 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 11, 2015, 08:46:35 AM

Something smooth, but not overly pricy - Black Bush, Crested Ten, the Irishman. I used to buy a (then) cheapy one in Tesco in the north called Coleraine that was Bushmills stock I believe. More than acceptable.

In a toddy or Irish coffee maybe,  it's rough enough straight imo!

annapr

Quote from: 5 Sams on December 05, 2015, 09:12:20 PM
Had my first drop in quite a while last night at a Christmas do. Bog standard Jameson with one small cube of ice. Gorgeous.
The only whiskey worth drinking IMO.

sans pessimism

Glanmorange single malt is like mozart playing on your throat
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

muppet

Quote from: sans pessimism on December 05, 2015, 11:54:47 PM
Glanmorange single malt is like mozart playing on your throat

What if you're not an anaconda?
MWWSI 2017