Brawl Before Cork Clare Game

Started by agorm, May 28, 2007, 08:40:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Galwaybhoy

The GAA should stand up to Clare here and warn them if they do pull out there will be severe punishment for pulling such a move mid-Championship.  It's a disgrace if they do pull out.  Sure the suspensions don't hurt Clare half as much as Cork.  The players will only miss one match and that's against Laois I think.

johnpower

Agree if Clare pull then there should be severe cpnsequences . This is very serious and I hope that their county board keep a calm head

didlyi

Punish Clare? What can they do to them if they are not in the competition? I dont think Clare will go this far and Mcdonagh is just blowing off steam. But who knows maybe Cork will join them.

johnpower

There is allways next years championship / I hope they keep calm none of the persecution nonsense of 98

Lecale2

What happened to Tipp footballers when they pulled out of the football championship a couple of year ago? Fermanagh got a bye (and nearly lost it!).

agorm

I agree with those saying that video evidence should not just be reserved for incidents that the ref failed to properly see or deal with. Some clearer guidines need to be developed for next years championships to prevent counties going down the legal route to get their man off.

Galwaybhoy

Ways of punishment could include suspending them from next years championship, threaten the county board that they wont allow the winner from their club championship to take part in the All-Ireland club championship.  I'd say they would change their mind pretty quickly then.

Hardy

Tony Considine was on Radio 1 this morniing, saying there was no way he or his team were withdrawing from anything and suggesting that the chairman would be better minding his own business and doing something useful for the team, such as re-scheduling the club championship.

So it seems all the disagreements and animosities in Clare have been sorted out!

Silky

I heard Considine on the wireless. The first he heard of McDonagh's suggestion that we withdraw from the championship was when one of the support staff got a text message during training. He clearly wasn't happy. There are major splits all over the place. He  has no time for McDonagh and slagged him off big time.

Galwaybhoy

I hear rumours that Considine has walked, anyone know if theres any truth to this?

darbyo

Haven't heard if he has walked, but he was going to walk anyway, over club championship fixtures. A full round were fixed for the week before the first qualifier games, he wasn't happy about this and was threathening to go if it wasn't resolved to his satisfaction. After the CB statement last night I'd go if I was him, infact if I was a player I'd leave aswell. Whatever about the rights and wrongs of the Davy Fitz situation, from what I can see the Clare CB have behaved atrociously and don't deserve the commitment of any of the players.

bugs bunny

Quote from: armaghniac on June 12, 2007, 09:35:02 PM
It suggested on the news that Clare were considering withdrawing from the hurling championship. Even to say this is losing the plot completely. There is no doubt what happened, rules were broken, the punishment wasn't excessive.

A lot of comments on this thread mention a variety of other incidents. Two wrongs don't make a right. If you are driving along the road at the speed limit and some guy whizzes by you that doesn't remove from you the obligation to slow down at the next village. 
What a load of shite,of course the suspensions were excessive,the gaa clamping down on the so called bad boys of hurling again.From what I saw there was'nt one red card offense from either county displayed in the melee.Purely before game shenanigans that should have been overlooked.

slow corner back

Clare seem to be in dissaray with all the fighting between the county board and the manager. All in all it appears that the manager is being badly let down by his county chairman. Club championship less than a week before a county championship match!!! Can,t see that happening in Cork or Kilkenny. As for the pulling out, load of old guff they won,t do it because they know they would be hammered especially if Cork take the suspensions and play on Sunday. Cork are in a no loose situation. If Waterford beat them they have a ready made excuse and a comfortable passage through the backdoor to the all ireland Q/Final with all the players back. If they beat waterford minus the big three who will stand against them. Also being a victim pulls a team together, although they were already a very united team, four finals in a row tells you that.

darbyo

What ever about the rights or wrongs of the dust up the clare CB suggesting that they might withdraw from the championship is completely OTT, in fact it's embarrassing to think there are people in the GAA so idiotic. As far as the suspensions go, well you simply can't 'overlook' that type of carry on, maybe the suspensions are excessive but somebody had to pay the price. By the way I was at the game sitting directly behind where the players came out and there were definately one or two sending off offences.