Brawl Before Cork Clare Game

Started by agorm, May 28, 2007, 08:40:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

I'd ban the whole lot of them turk, 1 to 15 on each team. Then if Offaly (big IF) get over Carlow, we'd have a handy trot into the Leinster final :D

Hardy

Turk - they're all too busy moaning about Graham Geraghty.

Anyway, I took a good look at that last night. Stop-reverse-slow-etc.-  and do you know what? Not one blow was struck. In fact, not one fist or boot was thrown. The nearest to it was a early on in the rumpus when Moyles twice tried to punch the ball out of Whelan's (?) grasp by slapping down with his fist. The rest was lads rushing in to push him away from Whelan, others pulling them off him, a couple of two-handed pushes in the chest, lads falling in a heap as a result and so on. Not one blow or attempted blow. It was ugly and all and no advertisement for the kids (seriously), but no hitting.

The new offence of "contributing to a melee" would describe the actions of all involved. I don't know what the penalty for that is, but whatever it is that's what they should get. But wait –Pat Spillane didn't mention it, so that's the end of it, according to the new rules.

Darragh Maloney called it "a full scale brawl".  Amazing.

orangeman

If there's no hitting or slapping or jostling, then you wouldn't be happy either - you just can't please the people !

bottlethrower7

Quote from: turk on June 05, 2007, 01:54:00 PM
Folks

50 minutes into the Dublin v Meath game on Sunday there was a schemozzle. Lads dunting and pushing and shoving and knocking each other.

I take it these guys should be banned aswell. Let's get the message out, it's not acceptable. There was kids watching on tv and the crowd.

Deafening silence on this one

fair play turk, I agree whole heartedly. Ban the lot of them I say. Ban their families and friends too, for the hell of it!!

Armagh Exile

Following a meeting of the Central Hearing's Committee in Croke Park on Monday night (11th June), it was decided that suspensions in respect of Clare players Barry Nugent, Alan Markham, Andrew Quinn and Colin Lynch, and Cork's Sean Og O hAilpin, Diarmuid O Sullivan and Donal Og Cusack be imposed.

The four week suspensions, arising out of incidents on the occasion of the Guinness Munster Hurling Championship quarter final game between Clare and Cork, will include the next game in the competition (even if that game falls outside the suspension time period) and are the minimum provided for in Rule for the relevant infractions.

In the case of John Gardiner (Cork) no suspension was imposed

The following fines were also confirmed:
Cork and Clare County Boards - Eu5,000 each (for conduct of players)
Cork County Board - Eu2,500 (for failure to comply with instructions issued by Comhairle na Mumhan)

timmykelleher

What odds now of a Waterford victory against Cork?
Cian O'Connor played full back in the league at certain stages. I'm not sure how effective he would be against Dan Shanahan or Seamus Prendergast if there was good quality ball raining down on the square. He'd hardly be as strong as O'Sullivan(?)

Cork have some excellent goalies on the subs bench but they could still miss the shop steward's leadership qualities.

Sean òg mightn't be having his best year ever but he'd still be one of the first names on the teamsheet. When Gardiner was being cleaned out in 2004 (?) by Dan Shanahan, Sean òg did an effective spoiling job on him. Will his replacement be up to the same standard?

Are Cork going to take the appeals process to the next level?

Corcaigh - McGrath cup champions - 2009

AZOffaly

Dan Shanahan will be dancing jigs today I reckon. Sean óg gives him conniptions because he is too strong to shift out from under a high ball and Dan can't make his height tell.

TBT

Quote from: timmykelleher on June 12, 2007, 01:16:02 PM
What odds now of a Waterford victory against Cork?
Cian O'Connor played full back in the league at certain stages. I'm not sure how effective he would be against Dan Shanahan or Seamus Prendergast if there was good quality ball raining down on the square. He'd hardly be as strong as O'Sullivan(?)

Cork have some excellent goalies on the subs bench but they could still miss the shop steward's leadership qualities.

Sean òg mightn't be having his best year ever but he'd still be one of the first names on the teamsheet. When Gardiner was being cleaned out in 2004 (?) by Dan Shanahan, Sean òg did an effective spoiling job on him. Will his replacement be up to the same standard?

Are Cork going to take the appeals process to the next level?

COC couldn't handle Eoin Brislane phyisicality in the Munster club final. He'd have no chance v Dan. I'd put Gardiner fullback, Tom Kenny wingback and Hero midfield. DOS is simply irreplacable.

The disciplianary double standards are absolutely sickening. They were numberous examples of striking with the hurley last week and only one person was sent off. The CCC were perfectly entitled to take the Gerathy matter further but they choose not too.

timmykelleher

I guess the one difference was that all the other violence was with the referee on the field.
I can only presume there were so many suspensions in this case because of the fact it was before the match.

Like yourself, when looking at the strokes that Reale and Geraghty committed and realising that they will both be eligible for their next games, it's hard to stomach.
Corcaigh - McGrath cup champions - 2009

Captain Scarlet

haven't been on in ages so i just want to ask everyone here who is giving out about the GAA and its rules is it not about time a player takes responsibility on his actions.
after the thing Irealnd's spokesman on perfection sean og was saying maybe the GAA should look at the way they come on the field and how they are too psyched up. up above was a picture of him on top of a clare man scuffling. maybe sean  og could have got a pint of cop on and concentrated on the game.
now im not saying the GAA are great and the way things are dealt with have to be looked at but they are not to be blamed for every incident involoving fully grown rational men who let their teams down.
any talk of changing the run out to the field should be shot down as well as it is a key feature of our games.
just a rant, and once again im not defending the disciplinary system of the GAA which is farcical at times but just dont blame them for a few lads deciding to beat each other a bit or because a few men in a tunnel got their wires crossed and let thirty men charging down a small tunnel.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

orangeman

The gaa disciplinary system is a shambles right from the very top administrators to the bottom of the rung official who sits on the county CCC's. It's a complete joke - what's going to happen the Offaly full back who nearly took Martin Comerfords head and shoulders off with a wild pull during Sunday's match ?

Time the system was completely changed - root and branch chage needed where players/ committees can't always appeal and get off.

AZOffaly

I'd have to differentiate between Paul Cleary (Offaly's full back) on Sunday and either the Reale/Kelly or Cork/CLare incidents. Cleary can at least claim it was a wild pull, towards the ball, and it's very hard to say it wasn't just reckless rather than intentional. Probably deserved a red card for recklessness, but very hard to prove malicious intent.

the Cork Clare 'brawl' and the Damien Reale and Eoin Kelly incidents were definitely off the ball, and simply intended to strike.  (And I mean the yellow card incident there, not the second yellow for the chop)

Whatever about the punishments handed down, to compare Cleary to them is not really a valid comparison in my mind.

orangeman

I accept what you're saying ok - but the point I'm trying to make is that people who deserve to gwt swnt off eg. offaly full back, graham geraghty etc. etc. a lot of the time DON'T GET sent off and those who do get sent off, at times don't deserve to get sent off - I remember about 4 years ago the full back for Donegal  ( when playing Armagh ) committed three simple fouls and was sent off after about 15 / 20 minutes - near the end of that game, Tony Mc Entee busted a Donegal player with an elbow on the ball, Armagh got a free and Donegal were well beat.

i don't know the Offaly full back and I respect hard tough play, but the point is, he should have been sent off.

Lecale2

I'd say Cork won't appeal. Better to take the bans now and have these key men available for Quarter and semi finals. Waterford would be well worth a punt on Sunday.

armaghniac

It suggested on the news that Clare were considering withdrawing from the hurling championship. Even to say this is losing the plot completely. There is no doubt what happened, rules were broken, the punishment wasn't excessive.

A lot of comments on this thread mention a variety of other incidents. Two wrongs don't make a right. If you are driving along the road at the speed limit and some guy whizzes by you that doesn't remove from you the obligation to slow down at the next village. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B