Waterford V Cork

Started by darbyo, June 15, 2007, 02:30:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Leith_Limerick_Lad on June 17, 2007, 07:19:35 PM
I'll be honest, probably one of the best games of hurling I have seen, and not just because Cork got beaten. I have a feeling Waterford will win the All Ireland, and on that form I can't see anybody stopping them. Respect to Cork for the way they battled back, and hitting the crossbar with the last shot of the match must have been agonising.

Eh i think Kilkenny will have something to say about that
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Leith_Limerick_Lad

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on June 17, 2007, 09:54:34 PMEh i think Kilkenny will have something to say about that

I accept that, but the point I was making was that if Waterford maintain the standards they set today, I don't think even Kilkenny will stop them.

The performance was sensational, and when you take into account the opposition, that adds to the significance. I watched the Cats spank Offally the other week, and they were very efficient, but the level of competition they face in county hurling is alot weaker than the Munster clubs. I believe Waterford will win it this year, hopfully facing Kilkenny in the final.

Leith_Limerick_Lad

Quote from: slow corner back on June 17, 2007, 09:01:50 PM

I honestly think Cork come out of that game better than Waterford. Cork were missing three mainstays and Brian Murphy did not look anything like fit. 

I think you are grasping at straws slightly.

The all ireland wil be decided whenever Cork and the cats meet again this year although it may not be the final now.

I like your optimism.  :)

PrivatePile

I think Waterfords full back line may come back to haunt them later in the year,they always give you a chance. In fairness they have probably the best set of forwards about at the minute, and any style suits them, Shanahan and Prenderast are almost unstoppable under the high ball......

didlyi

I thought the waterford backs played well as a unit today and have come a long way even since last year. The 3rd cork goal was very soft and I cant understand why hennesy came off line for it. The first and second goal were great goals and would test any defence. Waterford are real contenders this year. Great game today- a match for the 04 munster final

deiseach

;D

Nothing more to say at the moment . . .

TBT

Quote from: deiseach on June 17, 2007, 10:48:21 PM
;D

Nothing more to say at the moment . . .
Congrats Deise, cracking match.
As Kieran Shannon outlined in the Tribune, this rivalry is becoming one of the greatest in the history of the GAA.
The loss of DOS was just too much for us to handle at the end of the day.
We'll meet again I suspect.

Dinny Breen

In fairness to Cork without the three boys they knew they wouldn't contain the Waterford attack and just went for the jugular themselves, made for a great game. I always thought through the game Waterford looked confident and everytime Cork came at them they just pushed on, think this could be their year..
#newbridgeornowhere

bottlethrower7

Colonel Cool

Waterford deserved the win and the 3 missing players wouldn't have made much difference IMO. Donal Og was missed more than the others for his distribution and leadership, but i reckon Waterford could have raised the game when required. Cork have so many quality players that the lose of 3 doesn't really hurt them in the way it hurts Waterford or Clare. Good result for Waterford and as a neutral I hope they go on and win the All Ireland.
I'm not Homer Simpson. That ship has sailed. I'm "Colonel Cool"!

AZOffaly

I do think Cork missed O'Sullivan. I'm not a huge fan, but it's hard to see Cork conceding 5 goals, especially the likes of Mullanes and Shanahan's second if he was in there.

I think Cork won't be too worried about this one, once the dust has settled, and I don't think it would have a maor bearing were the two teams to clash again.

johnneycool

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 18, 2007, 08:46:46 PM
I do think Cork missed O'Sullivan. I'm not a huge fan, but it's hard to see Cork conceding 5 goals, especially the likes of Mullanes and Shanahan's second if he was in there.

I think Cork won't be too worried about this one, once the dust has settled, and I don't think it would have a maor bearing were the two teams to clash again.

The much maligned O'Sullivan was indeed a big loss to Cork. For all his faults there aren't to many who will get a clean catch off him anywhere near the goals. He is a master of some of the finer arts of fullback play, just like Noel Hickey it's only when they are gone is their value really appreciated.

Cork will be through to the quarter finals without exerting themselves too much, whereas Waterford if they win Munster will be sitting on their hands for almost a month during the summer and their hurling may suffer as a result.

Interesting times ahead.