PJ picks his Super 8

Started by GalwayBayBoy, April 10, 2018, 04:06:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: Unlaoised on April 11, 2018, 01:27:28 PM
Super 8s mmmm

Has the potential to work and I for one am looking forward to the games between some of the best teams (and dublin) in Ireland.

I see its draw backs however....The Cavan's Laois,Kildares,Fermanagh's Armaghs's Derry's and Westmeath's (who all on their day could upset the apple cart are now probably going to drift further behind the big 4(Tyrone Mayo Kerry Galway)because of the the provincial system and the draws...I don't include Dublin as they are out on their own in terms of everything and will probably win the all Ireland for next 10 years....(money money money)

The Roscommons and Tipps and Corks  of this world will always have a chance year after year due to their lack of games to reach a provincial final.which in turn gives them a great chance to reach the super 8s

Time will tell!

Amazes me how many Leinster folk have this defeatist attitude. Dublin have made and won 5 All Irelands since they made the 2011 final which was their first final since 1995. Their winning margins have been 1, 1, 3, 1 (after a replay) and 1. So effectively they've played in 6 All Ireland finals since 1995 and their points difference is +7.

Winning the All Ireland for the next 10 years simply will not happen.

Syferus

Winning the vast majority of them will happen, though.

When Kerry are the romantic champions you know there's something seriously wrong in the sport.

Rossfan

What's Dublin's points difference in the 12 Leinster Finals they've played in from 2005?
Id say it's well over 100.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Esmarelda

Quote from: Unlaoised on April 11, 2018, 01:27:28 PM
Super 8s mmmm

Has the potential to work and I for one am looking forward to the games between some of the best teams (and dublin) in Ireland.

I see its draw backs however....The Cavan's Laois,Kildares,Fermanagh's Armaghs's Derry's and Westmeath's (who all on their day could upset the apple cart are now probably going to drift further behind the big 4(Tyrone Mayo Kerry Galway)because of the the provincial system and the draws...I don't include Dublin as they are out on their own in terms of everything and will probably win the all Ireland for next 10 years....(money money money)

The Roscommons and Tipps and Corks  of this world will always have a chance year after year due to their lack of games to reach a provincial final.which in turn gives them a great chance to reach the super 8s

Time will tell!
Unlaoised, could you explain the bit in bold please?

Kurtz

Quote from: Blowitupref on April 10, 2018, 05:15:30 PM
Quote from: Orchard park on April 10, 2018, 04:47:59 PM
so now a weaker team instead of being trounced in an all ireland quarter final like we were in the replay last year will have it happen 3 times
Roscommon drew the first game which would be a point in this new format.

If it was in play last year Roscommons group would have been

Kerry
Armagh
Monaghan

Easier or harder to reach the semi final than trying to beat Mayo in replay?

Easier. Ros always choke against Mayo been going on 30 years now

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Kurtz on April 11, 2018, 06:26:23 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on April 10, 2018, 05:15:30 PM
Quote from: Orchard park on April 10, 2018, 04:47:59 PM
so now a weaker team instead of being trounced in an all ireland quarter final like we were in the replay last year will have it happen 3 times
Roscommon drew the first game which would be a point in this new format.

If it was in play last year Roscommons group would have been

Kerry
Armagh
Monaghan

Easier or harder to reach the semi final than trying to beat Mayo in replay?

Easier. Ros always choke against Mayo been going on 30 years now
Thats like saying Mayo always choke against Jim Gavins Dublin. The simple fact is Mayo have been better than Ros and the best chance any underdog have of winning is the first day.

Rossfan

Gerry Lohan's goal 2001 -choked a few Rhubarbs

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Rossfan on April 11, 2018, 06:40:13 PM
We sorta got our revenge since then.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

larryin89

Hang on to that memory ,  at this stage  twenty year old men cant remember that glorious day for ye.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Syferus

Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 11, 2018, 06:43:52 PM

Roscommon has about half the population of Mayo and also about half the number of Connacht titles as Mayo too so it's a bit of a wash, to say the least.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Syferus on April 11, 2018, 07:02:50 PM

Roscommon has about half the population of Mayo and also about half the number of Connacht titles as Mayo too so it's a bit of a wash, to say the least.

I did say sorta. Whatever about 20 yr olds not remembering, I certainly remember the drive home - not a word spoken.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Kurtz

Come to think of it. The amount of Connacht titles Mayo have compared to All Ireland's is an embarrassment
When you consider, that most of those wins meant they were straight in to a semi final

Rossfan

What does "a bit of a wash" mean?
Is it Ulsterscotch ?

AZOffaly

6 to 1, half a dozen to another.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Kurtz on April 12, 2018, 09:30:17 AM

Come to think of it. The amount of Connacht titles Mayo have compared to All Ireland's is an embarrassment
When you consider, that most of those wins meant they were straight in to a semi final

Same could be said of Cavan?