Pet charities - Grrrr

Started by youngfella, November 21, 2008, 02:59:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

youngfella

I have just seen a few adverts for animal charities. Shortly before this there had being some adverts for human charities.

I really struggle to understand how a sane person could give money to pet charities, and not human charities, when children in the 3rd world as well as are own. Are dying from simple things such lack of food and clean water to drink. It really really gets to me. can anyone explain it to me please?
Pull hard and early

The Real Laoislad

Totally agree youngfella..
Some people are just stupid with the amount of money they spend on animals.. ::)
You'll Never Walk Alone.

ziggysego

I've no problems giving to either.
Testing Accessibility

Minder

I have no problem giving to charity as long as 80% of the money is not absorbed in "administration" or to pay the wages of those fu*kwits that stop you in the main shopping street of various towns looking for a direct debit commitment. You know the ones, pink hair and very wacky...........
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

thejuice

Shite, and there was me thinking I was doing good giving money to the Donkey sanctury the other day. Or the £5 a month to the world wildlife fund for the preservation of Rhinos. Dont get me wrong I give to other charities too like trocaire and goal but I dont think the plight of rapidly vanishing wildlife and habitats should be ignored.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on November 21, 2008, 03:01:46 PM
Some people are just stupid with the amount of money they spend on animals.. ::)

Why shouldn't they spend money on animals?

The Real Laoislad

I'd prefer to give all the money to a children's hospital or cancer research here in Ireland than splitting the money you give to Charity saving some Hippo or Rhino out in Africa..each to their own I suppose
You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on November 21, 2008, 03:13:57 PM

Why shouldn't they spend money on animals?

They can do what they like I just don't agree with it..
I have seen better kept and fed dogs than children in houses I have worked in
You'll Never Walk Alone.

SidelineKick

I agree with Minder.  I was actually looking into sponsoring a child in Africa or whatever, £3 a week or something like that, but I wiuld be afraid of £2.50 of that going towards admin leaving my donations worth sh1te all!  Anybody know a good charity to do this??
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

mylestheslasher

Have to say I agree with Youngfella although I am a big animal lover and hate to see them in distress. There are some pretty crappy charities out there. I used to make a monthly contribution to concern until I heard 50-60% of their money is spent on administration. I changed to world vision recently as they only spend 20% on admin. At the end of the day there is always going to be some admin costs. But prize for the stupidest charity has to go to bothar. Not content with the ridiculous notion of shipping animals around the world which is totally inefficient on a number of levels, they are now advertising  their charity on national TV as gaelige. Now I support the Irish language, but it is a fact that a large proportion of the population do not speak it well. I can't understand then how Bothar can justify an advert in Irish - surely they would get more bang for  their buck with an English language add.

the Deel Rover

here here goatboy ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

mylestheslasher

Quote from: SidelineKick on November 21, 2008, 03:17:14 PM
I agree with Minder.  I was actually looking into sponsoring a child in Africa or whatever, £3 a week or something like that, but I wiuld be afraid of £2.50 of that going towards admin leaving my donations worth sh1te all!  Anybody know a good charity to do this??

www.Worldvision.org

Abble

someone somewhere has to be making a packet out of this !?

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 21, 2008, 03:32:23 PM
Quote from: SidelineKick on November 21, 2008, 03:17:14 PM

www.Worldvision.org

I have no problems in people giving money to world charities and helping kids in Africa,Who am I to say how someone should spend their money even if it is ridiculous amounts on animals..
I am however a firm believer in helping your own first and thats why I give money to places like the Marie Keating foundation and Bernardo's
You'll Never Walk Alone.

J70

Quote from: youngfella on November 21, 2008, 02:59:46 PM
I have just seen a few adverts for animal charities. Shortly before this there had being some adverts for human charities.

I really struggle to understand how a sane person could give money to pet charities, and not human charities, when children in the 3rd world as well as are own. Are dying from simple things such lack of food and clean water to drink. It really really gets to me. can anyone explain it to me please?

Why, are all of these things mutually exclusive?

People have different interests and priorities. I contribute to several wildlife/conservation organizations and museums, because I feel passionately about the value of the work they do.