What's happened to Wexford

Started by irunthev, March 30, 2009, 11:49:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

irunthev

Last year Wexford lost two games in the entire season, one in the Leinster Final to Dublin and the other in an All Ireland Final to Tyrone.... this year they haven't even come close to winning one. Any thoughts?

clarshack

have they not lost a load of players due to the recession?

This Years Model

Two words: Redmond and Barry.

No seriously, it's very disappointing, esp for the people who go to the trouble to attend the games week in and out. However, it's a full 11 weeks to the Kildare/Offaly game, and that will essentially be how our season is evaluated. It's an awfully long way away. The Leinster Championship is the focus for this team this year, and looking at how the rest of Leinster are faring in the League (bar Kildare), there's not that much casue for concern  ::)

Only Rory Stafford is gone from the main players of last year's panel, as far as I know. Having said that, nobody has come into the team and set the world alight ...

It'll be a serious test of Jason Ryan's powers to see what kind of team takes the field on June 13th, but as I said, that's a very long way away still .....

Maguire01

Could it be that they just got lucky, or managed to punch well above their weight for a number of games?

I don't want to take anything away from them and their 2008 run - especially after the way the bounced back following the Leinster Final meltdown, but i can't see them repeating 2008 anytime soon.

irunthev

Wexford have been a decent team for a number of seasons now and certainly their renaissance after the Dublin disaster was testimony to the quality of the team last year. However, that was achieved on the back of a 100% record in the Nat League that year. Going into any Championship game, potentially without a competitive win all season, is going to be one hell of an up-hill task. Winning is a habit as they say and so is losing. Hope is comes good for them as I think Jason Ryan was something very fresh and welcome last year. However, every time I have seen pictures of him this year he looks stressed and  more than a little confused by what is or should that be isn't happening.