Under 8       Go Games Nursery   Under 7
Under 10       Go Games      Under 9
Under 12      Mini Leagues      Under 11
Under 14      Competitive      Under 13
Under 16      Competitive      Under 15
Under 18 (Minor)   Competitive      Under 17
Under 21 (Football)   Competitive      Under 19
Under 21 (Hurling)   Competitive      Under 20
I think it's a good idea to go under 17 back as it means there is a clear split between adult and juvenile which will do no harm for scheduling.   

Downtheroad

Best of luck to minors today. They deserve great credit for performances to date and they have shown that a team is bigger than any one individual. In fairness, there are some very good hurlers on this team who keep their heads down and get on with it.  My main concern is the relative strength of schools hurling between the 2 counties which highlights the challenge facing the lads today.  All they can do is their best.

clonadmad

Kk 21 points up with 10 mins to go

clonadmad

A 30 point hiding off a Kk team who I'd be very surprised will be around in September.

We are miles behind the serious hurling counties in every facet of the modern game.

And before anyone thinks I'm slating this group of lads,I'm not

honest hurler

o my god this puts laois back 10 years and the fact that this bunch of lads are honest and hard working is all the worst we must now look at where this went wrong is it at management door or why are we just happy to  beat the likes meath and think that we have our job done

Downtheroad

Quote from: honest hurler on May 13, 2017, 05:17:01 PM
o my god this puts laois back 10 years and the fact that this bunch of lads are honest and hard working is all the worst we must now look at where this went wrong is it at management door or why are we just happy to  beat the likes meath and think that we have our job done
As a previous poster  pointed out Kilkenny are no great shakes. Not just with team Laois is well behind the big guns but a lot of the stuff today was self inflicted. There were too many unforced errors in the first half to allow us stay in the game. The sending off in the second half was a shocker. It appears it was a second yellow card for mouthing back at the ref. If that is the case this is totally unacceptable at inter county level. 

smcder

Quote from: Downtheroad on May 13, 2017, 05:39:23 PM
The sending off in the second half was a shocker. It appears it was a second yellow card for mouthing back at the ref. 

Is that what it was for?  Couldn't tell.   

Downtheroad

Quote from: smcder on May 13, 2017, 06:10:55 PM
Quote from: Downtheroad on May 13, 2017, 05:39:23 PM
The sending off in the second half was a shocker. It appears it was a second yellow card for mouthing back at the ref. 

Is that what it was for?  Couldn't tell.
He picked up a yellow card in the first half and the free conceded in the incident was innocuous.Not even sure he even  conceded the free but I take it he did. 

smcder

I remember the one in the first half. I think the ref was pointing around the place as if it was for persistent fouling. Missed the free in the second half.

burdizzo

It was hardly even as foul, as far as I could see. Not too impressed w/ the ref. overall.
Anyway, Leix were miles away. They seemed in awe of Kilkenny, and I'd certainly say they'd have fared quite well had they played Wexford. Must be a psychological thing w/ Kilkenny - they were afraid to take them on, or fight for the breaks, until y'r man was sent off early in the second half - and then, ironically, they went at it a bit more. Of course, it was to no avail, because the concession of three exceedingly sloppy goals in the second half took the wind from their sails completely. Apart from the two Comerfords, the pick of the forwards was James Keyes, who put in a spirited display, while Delaney at centre back caught some good ball. Other than that, where do you look? A couple of the subs had a bit of go in them, but midfield was pretty anonymous, and the backs stood off Kilkenny way too much.
However, it's not fair to throw the hat at them completely. Kilkenny will certainly win Leinster, and I disagree that they won't be seen come September. Also, I think management did well w/ what they had - got to a Leinster semi-final which, let's face it, last year's lot didn't do. Beat Offaly and Meath, and maybe could have beaten Dublin w/ a bit more luck. It was a minor team that wasn't rated at the start of the year, so to get to a semi is fine. OK, they let themselves down badly in the end, but they were never going to win, and they knew it. Things like protecting the hand going for a catch need working on in this county, as well. I suppose it's things like that allied w/ the fear of Kilkenny that led to the pounding today.

G@@

Laois were woeful in the air and seemed unable to catch a ball let alone hold onto it. When you're loosing the aerial battle 90% of the time it's curtains regarding staying in the game. I'm looking at Laois teams for close on three decades now and year after year it's the same ills:

* Inability to catch let alone hold a ball
* Inability to rise the ball quickly and drive out into space
* Inability to read the game and get into good positions when a team-mate has the ball
* Constantly hitting the ball in hope - usually to the opposition who has half fecking acre to launch another attack
* Constantly getting bottled up and being forced to spill ball
* Stupid slaps in front of the referee

Why are coaches and mentors not able to see this and address the issue? What are these minor teams being trained to do? It seems there is a 1970's Laois Hurling training manual that is compulsory for every Laois manager to read and implement to the letter once appointed to the role. It's the definition of stupidity - doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Yes, this was a limited Laois team today, but no way should they have been tanked by 30pts. That referee was a sickener dishing out cards like confetti - there was hardly a dirty stroke all day. The timing of the sending off was detrimental. Referees like that are going to be the death of hurling.

As for Kilkenny, they have a nice few talented hurlers in the squad and although they didn't set the world alight in the first half, they know how to draw blood when it counts. They will no doubt climb the steps of the hogan stand in September.
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

Keyser Söze

Quote from: G@@ on May 13, 2017, 09:59:15 PM

Why are coaches and mentors not able to see this and address the issue? What are these minor teams being trained to do? It seems there is a 1970's Laois Hurling training manual that is compulsory for every Laois manager to read and implement to the letter once appointed to the role. It's the definition of stupidity - doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Have you ever prepared a team at any level?
Ridiculous aul shite you are spouting there.

Laois were well beaten. We were nowhere near good enough. Unfortunately.
Laois had a couple of very progressive and methodical people involved in both hurling and S&C coaching. Neither of those two deserve to be tainted with that the idea that they don't employ modern methods and attempt to address shortcomings like the ones listed above.
It is not computer programming. There are variables involved, particularly when dealing with young lads, and even  more so when faced with opposition like Kilkenny. Things go wrong. The arse falls out of things on the day sometimes.
It doesn't mean that those preparing the team didn't see what was to be done and try to do it.

And as for honest hurler. Back with another agenda I see. Maybe it is time to look a bit closer to home for the answer to all these problems.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

G@@

Quote from: Keyser Söze on May 13, 2017, 11:45:12 PM
Have you ever prepared a team at any level?
Ridiculous aul shite you are spouting there.

It is not computer programming.

Whoa, obviously hit a nerve there with ya. Well let me indulge you without resorting to calling out my observations as "Ridiculous aul shite you are spouting there"

NO, I have not ever prepared a team, so by that token if the shortcomings I've identified above are that obvious to a half dim-wit like me who couldn't prepare a team then what the holy jaysus fook are the lads who are supposed to be preparing them looking at?

Secondly, regarding computer programming - that is EXACTLY what it is. These Kilkenny lads, Tipp lads are brought into county setups where the boy is broken down and the man is built up and shown how to hurl with steel and intelligence.

I saw 18 men versus 1 man in Portlaoise today. 15 were wearing black and amber jerseys, one was their manager, one was the referee and finally only one had the honour to don' the blue and white.
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

clonadmad

Quote from: G@@ on May 13, 2017, 09:59:15 PM
Laois were woeful in the air and seemed unable to catch a ball let alone hold onto it. When you're loosing the aerial battle 90% of the time it's curtains regarding staying in the game. I'm looking at Laois teams for close on three decades now and year after year it's the same ills:

* Inability to catch let alone hold a ball
* Inability to rise the ball quickly and drive out into space
* Inability to read the game and get into good positions when a team-mate has the ball
* Constantly hitting the ball in hope - usually to the opposition who has half fecking acre to launch another attack
* Constantly getting bottled up and being forced to spill ball
* Stupid slaps in front of the referee

Yes, this was a limited Laois team today, but no way should they have been tanked by 30pts. That referee was a sickener dishing out cards like confetti - there was hardly a dirty stroke all day. The timing of the sending off was detrimental. Referees like that are going to be the death of hurling.

As for Kilkenny, they have a nice few talented hurlers in the squad and although they didn't set the world alight in the first half, they know how to draw blood when it counts. They will no doubt climb the steps of the hogan stand in September.

Touch of Stockholm syndrome there,agh shur Kilkenny bate us but they will
win the all ireland

We shall revisit this in September,but I would have my doubts
Tipp with 5/6 of last years team plus the templemore contingent I'd have down as favourites,Cork were the only ones who gave them a game last year that and the fact that the development work at u14/16 these past few years should start to come through at minor level and Galway being Galway are never too far away either.

The rest of your post I couldn't find fault with

Next weds night in the Centre of Excellence,Laois are down to play the Tipperary  north division (4 divisions in Tipp)in the celtic u17 challenge,it will be interesting to see will we have learnt anything at this age level

Keyser Söze

Quote from: G@@ on May 13, 2017, 11:55:32 PM

I saw 18 men versus 1 man in Portlaoise today. 15 were wearing black and amber jerseys, one was their manager, one was the referee and finally only one had the honour to don' the blue and white.

Could you elaborate on this for those of us who don't live inside your head?

On the other points.
Every team has it's limitations. Particularly at minor level.
Identifying problems and coming up with ways to ATTEMPT to address them is vital to any management/coaching set up.
You correctly identify this as important.
It is a massive assumption to suggest that this did not happen.

Computers do what they are told and when programmed properly operate 100% all the time. There are no variables (Opposition, nerves, human error etc etc)
It is not comparable.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......