The Sunday Game & Joe Brolly.

Started by Bud Wiser, August 31, 2008, 06:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMohan

Sorry, I think Joe states the obvious much of the time.

In my opinion the most astute of all pundits is Eugene McGee.
Perhaps does not come across the happiest of guys on TV, but certainly the most interesting observer and ironically the only one who has managed at a significant level which makes his comments much more realistic from a management perspective and never feels the need to resort to cheap shots or smart ass comments.

maggie

Sure you could always hit the mute button when Joe is chatting if it bothers you so much

paddypastit

To be complete, and again in alphabetical order, we should add

Peter Canavan
Senan Connell
Paul Earley
Bernard Flynn
Coman Goggins
Joe Kernan
Dara O'Cinneide

to the list of pundits for consideration given that all have been either in studio or co-commentators this year on either RTE or TV3

Commentators wise

Ger Canning
Daragh Moloney
Marty Morrissey
Trevor Welch

I'm sorry but I don't know the name of the BBC guy even though I can hear him in my head

and in the 'Front man' role, how could we forget the oldest hand

Michael Lyster

the new convert

Matt Cooper

and of course the queen of the screen,

Joanne Cantwell

Personally the dream team from all of that lot for me would be

Cooper as host
Moloney as commentator
O'Rourke as co-commentator
Brolly and Magee as half and full time analysts
Cantwell as the highglights anchor with
O'Cinneide, Tohill and Canavan as the guest analysts

Just one question... why is it that nearly all of these analysts and pundits played from midfield up in their time.  Of all the names here only Burns, Goggins and Davis were out and out defenders (Carney was in defence for a time I think but played up front)

come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

JMohan

You forgot the great Tommy Lyons!!! lol! .... ;D

O'Cinneide & Tohill are very good analysts

carribbear

I think the public are spoiled for choice when it comes to it. Thank your lucky stars you don't have the likes of Ian Wright, Trevor Steven, Garth Crooks, Paul Merson etc giving analysis on games....or that fupping Andy Gray....

they put me right off that foreign sport...

Pangurban

Think Joe and Colm are excellent, both likeable  characters with plenty to say, who entertain as well as inform. Joe was a little unmannerly yesterday but Colm can hold his own.

David McKeown

Quote from: INDIANA on August 31, 2008, 06:26:32 PM
quite enjoy Brolly myself, i think he adds something to it. he simply stated the facts that wexford were never going to win that game and they weren't. he can be tiresome at times but over the course of the season its  a pretty good double act.he's a barrister , most of them can never shut up anyway, but its a lot better than the Muppet Show on sunday evenings.

Hey now dont tar us all with the one brush.  In fairness to him I agree with a lot of analysis and find him more blanced when its two non ulster teams than i do a lot of the other analyists.  Think him and O rourke work well together
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Billys Boots

QuoteWhy do you think is O'Rourke a knob?

Because he wouldn't play for his county!
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

haze

Must say i think Tony Davis is the pick of the bunch. At times i enjoy Brolly but more often than not i find his constant sneering quite irratating.

Hardy

Quote from: Billys Boots on September 01, 2008, 09:34:59 AM
QuoteWhy do you think is O'Rourke a knob?

Because he wouldn't play for his county!

Ahem, he played for twenty-odd years, minor to senior, for his county. Perhaps you're mistakenly thinking of the county that couldn't feed him as 'his county'.  :P

Hardy

Quote from: haze on September 01, 2008, 09:45:42 AM
Must say i think Tony Davis is the pick of the bunch.

Well, what can I say. It just goes to show, etc.

or, alternatively ... Christ Almighty!

Billys Boots

QuotePerhaps you're mistakenly thinking of the county that couldn't feed him as 'his county'. 

Well I consider the county that couldn't feed me as 'my county', as did O'Rourke's brothers (who never looked starved to me).  :P
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

bridgegael

brolly is a ****,  he was laughing at cork at half time yeterday,  but sure its ok to be snide and all that,  sure hes funny!!!! w**ker!!
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

full back

Quote from: haze on September 01, 2008, 09:45:42 AM
Must say i think Tony Davis is the pick of the bunch. At times i enjoy Brolly but more often than not i find his constant sneering quite irratating.

Tony Davis, dont make me laugh :D
Terrible analyst. On occasions he doesnt even know the players names.

Didnt hear Brolly at half time in the Cork/Kerry game but heard he was a cheeky b4stard when talking about the Cork team.

saffron

Think Brolly goes over the top on teams at times but I think hes good to have there - some of what he says is insightful and I'd have him over O'Rourke.

Brolly's half time analysis of Tyrones tactics was spoiled by his over the top eulogising of the team - Wexford promptly reduced an 8 point margin to 2 in 10 minutes.

That said think hes a good pundit. The banter the two of them have makes it - TV3 analysis, while good, came across as dull with no chemistry.