Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Interesting discussion on Klopp. I've always admired him for his attitude, demeanour and the way his teams play. I was unhappy when he went to Liverpool because I suspected he'd be a success there. I don't buy into the "United is so broken that he'd have failed and been out the door in two years" thesis. For a start he has manners and is cutting edge tactically so he'd have had a better chance than LVG and Mourinho. Though it must be accepted the structures at Liverpool are designed for the team to succeed, not to make the most money possible.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 07, 2019, 10:35:51 AM
Interesting discussion on Klopp. I've always admired him for his attitude, demeanour and the way his teams play. I was unhappy when he went to Liverpool because I suspected he'd be a success there. I don't buy into the "United is so broken that he'd have failed and been out the door in two years" thesis. For a start he has manners and is cutting edge tactically so he'd have had a better chance than LVG and Mourinho. Though it must be accepted the structures at Liverpool are designed for the team to succeed, not to make the most money possible.

Surely any owners looking to make the most money possible would make a bigger effort in trying to make the team succeed on the pitch.

Klopp arrived at Liverpool in October 2015 that season they finished 8th the next two seasons Liverpool finished 4th. Would the United board/owners have the same patience and trust to allow him to re-build the team? in those first few seasons Klopp was given enough time to clear out the dead wood left behind by previous managers and has brought in the likes of Fabinho,Alisson,Robertson,Van Dijk,Salah,Wijnaldum,Mane.

Not comparing like with like but so far Ole has cleared out plenty of dead wood already but plenty more to do (Jones,Rojo,Mata,Matic,Young etc) and his three signings look like good ones but he needed at least another 2 signings this summer (a midfielder and forward) to probably reach his season objectives i reckon. If United don't have Champions league football for next season i expect Ole to be sacked its how this club works now and that tells me United remain a broken club with owners that has little understanding to the rebuilding that is currently required.

GetOverTheBar

Interviews yes, touchline, absolutely not. He's just as aggressive as the rest towards officials.

J70

Quote from: Cunny Funt on September 07, 2019, 06:15:57 PM

Surely any owners looking to make the most money possible would make a bigger effort in trying to make the team succeed on the pitch.

Klopp arrived at Liverpool in October 2015 that season they finished 8th the next two seasons Liverpool finished 4th. Would the United board/owners have the same patience and trust to allow him to re-build the team? in those first few seasons Klopp was given enough time to clear out the dead wood left behind by previous managers and has brought in the likes of Fabinho,Alisson,Robertson,Van Dijk,Salah,Wijnaldum,Mane.

Not comparing like with like but so far Ole has cleared out plenty of dead wood already but plenty more to do (Jones,Rojo,Mata,Matic,Young etc) and his three signings look like good ones but he needed at least another 2 signings this summer (a midfielder and forward) to probably reach his season objectives i reckon. If United don't have Champions league football for next season i expect Ole to be sacked its how this club works now and that tells me United remain a broken club with owners that has little understanding to the rebuilding that is currently required.

If Ole shows obvious progress this season, I'd be surprised if United sack him, even if they do miss out on Champions League qualification. It's four from six these days after all. Liverpool ( club and fans) indulging Klopp was no act of blind faith or wishful thinking. The progress and growing signs of success were there, plain to see, season by season and sometimes even month by month.

trailer

Van der Sar muted as director of football.

Boycey

under the bar

Quote from: trailer on September 08, 2019, 08:49:05 PM
Van der Sar muted as director of football.

So what is the DoF's remit?

nrico2006

Has Van Der Sat any real credentials though? Better candidates out there.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

gallsman

Quote from: nrico2006 on September 08, 2019, 10:02:35 PM

He has been Ajax's CEO for the last three years. You know, that Dutch club that operates on a bit of a shoestring budget relative to the big European clubs and lit up the Champions League for the last three years, with a team full of exciting young players playing entertaining football.

Other than that, no.

under the bar

Credentials for what? WTF does a DOF contribute exactly? Who are the better candidates you mention and what have they achieved as DOFs?

nrico2006

Quote from: gallsman on September 08, 2019, 10:15:20 PM

He has been Ajax's CEO for the last three years. You know, that Dutch club that operates on a bit of a shoestring budget relative to the big European clubs and lit up the Champions League for the last three years, with a team full of exciting young players playing entertaining football.

Other than that, no.

They did well last year in the Champions League but hardly lit it up during the 2 previous years considering they weren't in it.  Additionally, the reason they did so well was due to the young players they brought through which I don't think can be accredited to Van Der Sar considering the short period of time he has been involved there as CEO.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

yewtree

Utd have fallen back to non contenders.Just looking at our own Bobby getting his 50th league goal ,Fermino  true son of the KOP.
Sturridge chip at the weekend was worth the flights and hotel alone ,Mancs are not in our league anymore ! #YNWA

Joeythelips

Quote from: yewtree on September 09, 2019, 01:44:20 PM
Utd have fallen back to non contenders.Just looking at our own Bobby getting his 50th league goal ,Fermino  true son of the KOP.
Sturridge chip at the weekend was worth the flights and hotel alone ,Mancs are not in our league anymore ! #YNWA

Someone likes fishing. United are still contenders technically speaking but there is no doubt they are a long way off Liverpool and City (as is everyone else) and they will struggle to make the top 4 and could conceivably not even make top 6 as the squad is continues to be rebuilt and deadwood cleared out.

I wont mind too much that Liverpool fans continue to slag off united's current malaise once their own side fail once again to win the premier league, the one prize they so desperately want.

under the bar

And you last won the Premier League in what year? ;D

BennyCake

Quote from: under the bar on September 09, 2019, 09:29:57 PM

And you last won the Premier League in what year? ;D

That's his next mission. He's calling it Operation Yewtr... oh, er... I think that's taken.