The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: whitey on November 03, 2020, 02:33:26 PM
Quote from: J70 on November 03, 2020, 01:50:47 PM
Quote from: whitey on November 03, 2020, 01:47:12 PM
The day after the allegation was released it began to fall apart which I believe was Sept 25th/26th

Source?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nationalreview.com/news/classmates-defend-brett-kavanaugh-against-latest-charge/amp/

The day after the allegation 60 people who went to school with Kavanaugh and who moved in his social circles said they never heard of her, never met her and regarded her accusations as pure nonsense

That was the first crack for me (and anyone interested in the truth) that it was another c**k and bull story

Meanwhile here's what New York Mag has to say:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nymag.com/intelligencer/amp/2018/09/julie-swetnicks-allegations-brett-kavanaugh-withdraw.html

All of the other left leaning media treated this as a real story

1. The letter of support is obviously a big plus in Kavanaugh's favour. However, if he or anyone was going around sexually assaulting women, they were hardly going to do so with an audience or publicize the fact, were they? So such a letter doesn't in itself mean that the assault didn't occur or that an investigation is not warranted, especially when it comes out in the very week another woman is testifying before the Senate on the same. Nor does the fact that they didn't know or remember her. Would you be so dismissive of an assault claim if it was your daughter or your niece?

2. The NY mag article you reference specifically calls for an investigation of her claims.

sid waddell

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 03, 2020, 03:32:46 PM
I have a hunch that it mightn't be as long a night as we think. Biden to win.
If the election has any semblance of legitimacy that will be the case

The question is not about whether Biden or Trump has enough actual support to win the election, Biden obviously does

The question is, will the fix be in

Nobody will convince me the fix is not in unless and until the fix is crushed

whitey

Quote from: J70 on November 03, 2020, 03:54:11 PM
The day after the allegation was released it began to fall apart which I believe was Sept 25th/26th

Source?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nationalreview.com/news/classmates-defend-brett-kavanaugh-against-latest-charge/amp/

The day after the allegation 60 people who went to school with Kavanaugh and who moved in his social circles said they never heard of her, never met her and regarded her accusations as pure nonsense

That was the first crack for me (and anyone interested in the truth) that it was another c**k and bull story

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nymag.com/intelligencer/amp/2018/09/julie-swetnicks-allegations-brett-kavanaugh-withdraw.html

1. The letter of support is obviously a big plus in Kavanaugh's favour. However, if he or anyone was going around sexually assaulting women, they were hardly going to do so with an audience or publicize the fact, were they? So such a letter doesn't in itself mean that the assault didn't occur or that an investigation is not warranted, especially when it comes out in the very week another woman is testifying before the Senate on the same. Nor does the fact that they didn't know or remember her. Would you be so dismissive of an assault claim if it was your daughter or your niece?

2. The NY mag article you reference specifically calls for an investigation of her claims.

Fair enough-you thought she and Michael Avenatti were credible. I didn't  (and 60 people who supposedly attended these same high school house parties didn't either) and the entire  story completely unraveled in the days that followed

Actually the Democrats were furious at Avenatti for getting involved because it just killed their credibility

J70

Quote from: whitey on November 03, 2020, 04:15:04 PM
Quote from: J70 on November 03, 2020, 03:54:11 PM

Source?

Fair enough-you thought she and Michael Avenatti were credible. I didn't  (and 60 people who supposedly attended these same high school house parties didn't either) and the entire  story completely unraveled in the days that followed

Actually the Democrats were furious at Avenatti for getting involved because it just killed their credibility

I didn't know who was credible. Don't put words in my mouth. You are the one always making definitive pronouncements.

The whole point of an investigation is to get to the truth, assuming it can be got to and it doesn't end up she said/he said.

J70

CNN reporting high turnout and no incidents so far.

Let's hope it continues.

My wife had to turn away in NYC this morning due to the pre-work queues at our site. Hopefully it will be moving a bit quicker later this evening when we go back.

Hound

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 03, 2020, 03:32:46 PM
I have a hunch that it mightn't be as long a night as we think. Biden to win.
That'd be nice. Is it North Carolina and Florida you seeing going that way or other rationale? Or just pure hunch?

I can't help but believe the polls understate Trump's support, like they did last time. And last time Trump got 306. Close, but not down to a single state the way Bush-Gore was.
However, I believe polls also understated Obama's and Bill Clinton's support, so it can swing both ways.

Also, not convinced early votes are all Democrats. Trump has a big support that would vote for him no matter what he does/says, so many of them wouldn't have been getting their votes in early too.

But whether it's a close call or a big win, it's going to be fascinating.

The betting odds have been interesting today. Trump has been about 15/8 most of the last week, but this morning he came into 6/4 and was like that most of the day. But now this evening he's back out to 15/8. Purely academic, but interesting all the same.

Hound

Quote from: J70 on November 03, 2020, 04:53:56 PM

Let's hope it continues.

My wife had to turn away in NYC this morning due to the pre-work queues at our site. Hopefully it will be moving a bit quicker later this evening when we go back.
Was today the only day you could do in-person voting in NYC?

The thought of queueing to vote would do my head in (I've a queueing-for-anything-phobia!). Especially in a state that is slam dunk for one or other like NY.

J70

Quote from: Hound on November 03, 2020, 05:01:01 PM

Let's hope it continues.

The thought of queueing to vote would do my head in (I've a queueing-for-anything-phobia!). Especially in a state that is slam dunk for one or other like NY.

We had early voting last week.

However, there was a limited number of locations to do so (and the queues were very long in any of the ones I saw).

Whereas Election Day voting has a lot more polling locations.

My work closes for Election Day, so I don't mind if I have to go and queue for a while.

dec

Quote from: Hound on November 03, 2020, 05:01:01 PM

Let's hope it continues.

Our early voting location was fairly close, on the first day, a Saturday the line was 3 hours. During the week my wife was walking by it and saw that the line was very short, I went out voted and was back home in just over half an hour. This is the first year that NYC has done early voting, hopefully it will continue. Longest line I have had was 2008, it took almost 2 hours before work.

whitey

First time I voted in a Presidential election was 2004

The guy who was directly in front of me in the line had just lost his son in Iraq

Doddering octogenarian poll worker couldn't find his name in the book

I thought he was going to seriously blow a gasket

I now vote exclusively absentee or early because of my travel schedule. Haven't set foot in a polling booth on Election Day for over a decade

Hound

Jeez, CNN just had a report from a polling center in a place called Londonderry! (in New Hampshire)

J70

I enjoy going to the polling station.

Seems more real than doing it by post.

J70

I remember I didn't vote in 2012.

Went down to the local catholic school which was the local polling station, queued up for an hour with my then one year old child in my arms, and looking like I'd still have to wait a couple more hours, just said "f**k it" in the end. Only so much you can do with a young kid.

Luckily Obama wasn't depending on my vote in NY!

dec

Quote from: Hound on November 03, 2020, 06:30:49 PM
Jeez, CNN just had a report from a polling center in a place called Londonderry! (in New Hampshire)

It is very near Derry, New Hampshire

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: Hound on November 03, 2020, 06:30:49 PM

There's a Derry right beside it too