The Pimp Your Photography Thread

Started by ziggysego, April 15, 2008, 09:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbrick18

I have a 14year old who has an interest in photography (well as interested as you can be at 14).
I was thinking of getting him a camera of some description for christmas, but I haven't the first clue about what makes a decent camera and what makes a rubbish camera.
Can anyone give any recommendations? Something under £100 that's not pure rubbish?
Or am I aiming to high with that budget?

TIA

Milltown Row2

Quote from: tbrick18 on November 16, 2021, 03:53:47 PM
I have a 14year old who has an interest in photography (well as interested as you can be at 14).
I was thinking of getting him a camera of some description for christmas, but I haven't the first clue about what makes a decent camera and what makes a rubbish camera.
Can anyone give any recommendations? Something under £100 that's not pure rubbish?

TIA

Its all about the lens!!

Ive a decent camera, takes cracking photos but head down to the pitch and try taking some pics of a game or so its doesn't look as good. Bigger lens will allow to get a better shot, might invest in a better lens and attach t to the Nikon camera I have.

mine was over £250
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JoG2

Quote from: tbrick18 on November 16, 2021, 03:53:47 PM

TIA

I'm assuming the 14 year old has a smart phone? A camera under a 100 wouldn't be any better I wouldn't have thought. Entry level SLRs are £300 and up. Lens a Kings ransom on top
The Kodak PixPro AZ421 is a bridge camera that looks the part,  like a small SLR but with a permanent lens. Cheaper in Curry's than Argos after a quick check there.

tbrick18

Cheers for all the info!
As I suspected, my budget is a bit light for anything semi-decent.

I happened to see a wee 2nd hand camera for sale on Facebook Marketplace near were we live. It's a Canon Powershot SX500 IS and had good reviews online for what it is.
I got it for £50. It looks like its hardly been used and seems to be working fine as expected.
My thinking is, let him get a feel for it with this Camera, if it's not just a passing notion we can always look for something decent. If, as I suspect might happen, he looks at it for day then it disappears behind a bed never to be seen again then at least I haven't spent a fortune.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: tbrick18 on November 18, 2021, 12:34:58 PM
Cheers for all the info!
As I suspected, my budget is a bit light for anything semi-decent.

I happened to see a wee 2nd hand camera for sale on Facebook Marketplace near were we live. It's a Canon Powershot SX500 IS and had good reviews online for what it is.
I got it for £50. It looks like its hardly been used and seems to be working fine as expected.
My thinking is, let him get a feel for it with this Camera, if it's not just a passing notion we can always look for something decent. If, as I suspect might happen, he looks at it for day then it disappears behind a bed never to be seen again then at least I haven't spent a fortune.

Yes that's the best approach, I'm looking to get a new lens for mine, which will probably cost more than the camera!

I've a good mate who was a freelance photographer now works for the Mirror group (though I'm entirely sure how it works tbh) any way he makes a clean fortune! Obviously during the troubles there was plenty opportunity to get the 'right' picture and so on but with NI becoming a directors locations for films we get plenty of stars, which make photos very profitable.

He manages to get the breakfast in bed shot of Miss NI in the hotel the next day after they win, he's also did a promo for De Niro when he was promoting Nobu chain with celebrity chef Nobu Matsuhisa and film producer Meir Teper,  The trio now co-own scores of Nobu restaurants and hotels across five continents, so he was basically flying around in their private jet taking photo's!!

Obviously these are the best things about the job, the day to day mundane shots standing outside the courts can be boring as feck!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea