Carbon Monoxide detectors

Started by Shamrock Shore, February 28, 2019, 03:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shamrock Shore

Learned something new today.

The carbon monoxide detectors we have in the house expired over 2 years ago. I never realised they had an expiry date. Thought they'd be the same as smoke alarms - change the battery when it started beeping annoyingly and bob's your mother's brother.

So, if your house does have carbon monoxide detectors make sure they are not expired.

That is all.

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on February 28, 2019, 03:05:10 PM
Learned something new today.

The carbon monoxide detectors we have in the house expired over 2 years ago. I never realised they had an expiry date. Thought they'd be the same as smoke alarms - change the battery when it started beeping annoyingly and bob's your mother's brother.

So, if your house does have carbon monoxide detectors make sure they are not expired.

That is all.
Thanks for that Shamrock ☘️ Wasn't aware of limited lifespan of these things
Careful now

J70

Usually there will be an expiration date somewhere on it. Might be small writing.

5-7 years is typical.

Shamrock Shore

Quote from: J70 on February 28, 2019, 03:39:57 PM
Usually there will be an expiration date somewhere on it. Might be small writing.

5-7 years is typical.

Yes - it was there on a wee sticker. 'Expires Nov 2016' which I never looked at or saw before.

Check your alarms boys and girls and get the boiler and/or gas fire serviced regularly.

playwiththewind1st

Sometimes, sadly just occasionally nowadays, you read something sensible on this board. Good post, Shamrock - could be a lifesaver for somebody.  Just had a look & it's Feb 2020 for mine. Will set myself a reminder for this time next year.

J70

I think the electrical components are what start to break down. The radionuclide they use, Americium-241, has a half-life of 400+ years.

Edit: Am-241 is found in smoke detectors, NOT CO detectors. :-[

Ball Hopper

Also remember that a smoke alarm needs testing on two fronts.  The battery is the obvious one, but often neglected is the smoke sensor, which can be tested by, well, introducing smoke to it.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: J70 on February 28, 2019, 05:17:57 PM
I think the electrical components are what start to break down. The radionuclide they use, Americium-241, has a half-life of 400+ years.

Edit: Am-241 is found in smoke detectors, NOT CO detectors. :-[
A lot of them have sensors which measure CO to ppm and like any instrument they are liable to drift over time. Smoke detection doesn't require a measurement and therefore sensors tend to last longer.

HT to Shamrock Shore. Mine is out of date March 2019.