Lights issue in house

Started by snoopdog, January 25, 2013, 05:16:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snoopdog

Hi all any sparks on here. I have an issue with 3 rooms in the house. i could go to turn the lights on in 1 and nothing happens this will be same for all 3, then an hour later i could try and they would come back.
1 room is the bathroom which has down lights and of the 3 it is closest to the mains and fuse box. the other 2 are bedrooms, the sockets arent affected neither is the electric shower.

Is it possible one of the switches is faulty and shorting all 3 or could it be more serious?

i would like to see if i could maybe fix it first before calling a spark in Dublin who would probably charge me a call out of 80 euro before even looking at it.

Puckoon

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Puckoon on January 25, 2013, 05:17:24 PM
Give Laoislad a shout.

Laoislad will probably charge 80 to reply to the post  ;) ;D
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

seafoid

It could be the bean si
or alternatively bean an tigh
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

laoislad

Quote from: the Deel Rover on January 25, 2013, 05:42:53 PM
Give Laoislad a shout.

I'm on me holidays so ill have to charge €160!

Snoopdog it sounds to me like a loose connection on the main feed to the switches.
They are probably all looped off the one feed supply.
I would start by opening up the bathroom switch because its the one closest to the fuse box and looking to see if anything is loose.
The loop feed will be connected to a terminal marked  'C'  there should be two cables connected in that terminal if its a loop circuit.
Probably best to knock off the trip for the lights in the fuse board first if you aren't comfortable around live wires. I'd try each switch then if its not the first one.
Failing that it might be a loose neutral in the lights themselves, the neutral wire will also be looped between all the lights.
Might also be no harm to tighten the connection on the mcb in the fuse board just in case.
Let me know how you get on.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Tony Baloney

I would say you are popular with the missus posting spark assistance on the gaaboard whilst on a dirty weekend!

snoopdog

Quote from: laoislad on January 25, 2013, 07:22:29 PM
Quote from: the Deel Rover on January 25, 2013, 05:42:53 PM
Give Laoislad a shout.

I'm on me holidays so ill have to charge €160!

Snoopdog it sounds to me like a loose connection on the main feed to the switches.
They are probably all looped off the one feed supply.
I would start by opening up the bathroom switch because its the one closest to the fuse box and looking to see if anything is loose.
The loop feed will be connected to a terminal marked  'C'  there should be two cables connected in that terminal if its a loop circuit.
Probably best to knock off the trip for the lights in the fuse board first if you aren't comfortable around live wires. I'd try each switch then if its not the first one.
Failing that it might be a loose neutral in the lights themselves, the neutral wire will also be looped between all the lights.
Might also be no harm to tighten the connection on the mcb in the fuse board just in case.
Let me know how you get on.
Chers Laoislad i will check from your advice tomorrow and let you know how i get on. Thanks

Dougal Maguire

Make sure you heed his advice and turn off the trip first.  We don't want to be reading about you in the Death Notices Thread!
Careful now

snoopdog

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on January 26, 2013, 09:47:05 AM
Masked sure you heed his advice and turn off the trip first.  We don't want to be reading about you in the Death Notices Thread!

dont worry dougal when i check it i will turn off the mains  :D :D

snoopdog

Cheers Laoislad. Think i have it sorted. i unscrewed the 3 switches as nothing looked untoward. But when i put them back on the 2 bedrooms worked but the bathroom didnt so i changed the light switch now looks good. Hopefully thats it sorted.
Thanks again.

Dougal, i didnt blow myself up, thanks for the concern though.