FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

michaelg

Quote from: macdanger2 on February 13, 2019, 09:41:32 PM
Pity that Rice didn't choose Ireland, would wish him good luck if he had done it before he played two senior games for us but no point dwelling on it.

I think once you play at a level above 18s, you should be locked in. Make your decision then and stick with it. Friendlies should count in this regard.

In more positive news, I see Ryan Nolan is named in the Inter squad for the EL tomorrow night
Would that include players representing NI too?

BennyCake

Quote from: dec on February 13, 2019, 09:23:29 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on February 13, 2019, 08:43:38 PM
Quote from: dec on February 13, 2019, 08:38:24 PM
Quote from: seafoid on February 13, 2019, 05:40:43 PM
In a united Ireland which Football Association would represent the country ?

The IFA is a memebr of IFAB, it has a longer history and it originally represented the whole of Ireland.

Hmm, they had a history of picking players only from the north, even before the north existed. So they basically were the same as what they are now, representing one side.

When Ireland won the British Home Championship for the first time in 1914 their top scorers were Bill Lacey from Wexford and Billy Gillespie from Donegal

William Gillespie sounds like a good catholic name alright ;)

dec

Quote from: BennyCake on February 13, 2019, 09:51:24 PM

The IFA is a memebr of IFAB, it has a longer history and it originally represented the whole of Ireland.

Hmm, they had a history of picking players only from the north, even before the north existed. So they basically were the same as what they are now, representing one side.

When Ireland won the British Home Championship for the first time in 1914 their top scorers were Bill Lacey from Wexford and Billy Gillespie from Donegal

That's the most important thing, what religion they were.

BennyCake

Quote from: dec on February 13, 2019, 09:56:47 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on February 13, 2019, 09:51:24 PM

That's the most important thing, what religion they were.

I was just reinforcing my earlier point.

delgany

William -  Liam - Billy  ......is a common enough name in both communities   as is Gillespie in donegal area .....

macdanger2

Quote from: michaelg on February 13, 2019, 09:50:54 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on February 13, 2019, 09:41:32 PM
Pity that Rice didn't choose Ireland, would wish him good luck if he had done it before he played two senior games for us but no point dwelling on it.

I think once you play at a level above 18s, you should be locked in. Make your decision then and stick with it. Friendlies should count in this regard.

In more positive news, I see Ryan Nolan is named in the Inter squad for the EL tomorrow night
Would that include players representing NI too?

Yes. We've benefited from players changing their minds in years gone by but I'd prefer if anything after 18s was a done deal, no more of this messing around

Itchy

Quote from: LCohen on February 13, 2019, 09:30:46 PM
Quote from: Itchy on February 13, 2019, 09:22:03 PM
Let him f**k off the bollix. I hope he ends up playing Jack grealish in the championship. All about the money. Forget him, move on with what we have.

Lad from England, born in England, of English parents developed through the English club system decides to play for England and this is your reaction?

Yup and if you don't like it I couldn't care less.

Main Street

He's a class player and he's a loss as a talented midfielder who would have easily earned  a 100 caps for Ireland.

I don't wish him luck or bad luck or anything, I just don't care about him anymore, he's dead  to me now.

Capt Pat

I think it is frustrating because we had him in our hands and now he is gone. That is not right.

BennyCake

Quote from: Capt Pat on February 13, 2019, 11:10:52 PM
I think it is frustrating because we had him in our hands and now he is gone. That is not right.

It's like someone wanting to end a relationship/marriage. One can't force the other to stay.

I just don't understand why he played those friendlies in the first place. Well I do, it's because now he's an established player whereas he wasn't before. He just used Ireland to get a leg up. Bitch!

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: delgany on February 13, 2019, 10:07:23 PM
William -  Liam - Billy  ......is a common enough name in both communities   as is Gillespie in donegal area .....

There'd be a few Gillespies in Mayo too, never thought of it as an odd one.

Think it means son of the bishop's servant or something - Mac Giolla Easpaig
Hasta la victoria siempre

From the Bunker

Quote from: Main Street on February 13, 2019, 10:41:12 PM
He's a class player and he's a loss as a talented midfielder who would have easily earned  a 100 caps for Ireland.

I don't wish him luck or bad luck or anything, I just don't care about him anymore, he's dead  to me now.

Nail on the head!

Itchy

Quote from: hardstation on February 14, 2019, 07:51:41 AM
Can't blame him. What decent footballer would want to play with that bundle of shit?

I just think he is a bollix to take 3 caps with one senior team and then switch to another because of money. Money should not be a factor when choosing your country, if it is you are a greedy little bollix. But in that way I am glad we don't have a lad like him with us now, I'd rather be shit than have lads like that play for us. As for all the "modern men" wishing him well, why the hell would you wish him well?

lurganblue

Quote from: hardstation on February 14, 2019, 07:51:41 AM
Can't blame him. What decent footballer would want to play with that bundle of shit?

An Irish one.

Maroon Manc

The rule is a farce anyway, once you've played for a country you shouldn't be able to switch allegiances. I'm sure West Ham put a lot of pressure on him too which wouldn't have happened at clubs like United or Liverpool.

I'm second generation Irish, born in Manchester and lived in the City all my life and it would have been as easy decision for me to make; I've had an irrational dislike of the England football team since I was a kid and its nothing to do with my parents either. There'll be plenty out there like me and probably just as many who'd play for England given the chance, not everyone will have had the same upbringing I've had.

Just think the biggest disappointment is that he's pulled on the green jersey and then turned his back on it, its a real kick in the teeth. I'd say his dad will be gutted judging by what I heard.