Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

I think it's fair to say De Gea hasn't had his best season this season, but personally if I'd a choice of any goalkeeper, he'd be on my team.

I only saw the second half of the Spurs match, but I thought it a bit odd that Gary Neville seemed reluctant to give him praise for all the saves he was making! Not that GN was totally incorrect in saying some of the finishing could have been better, but I thought he was a bit harsh on De Gea.

NAG1

Quote from: Hound on January 15, 2019, 09:16:04 AM
I think it's fair to say De Gea hasn't had his best season this season, but personally if I'd a choice of any goalkeeper, he'd be on my team.

I only saw the second half of the Spurs match, but I thought it a bit odd that Gary Neville seemed reluctant to give him praise for all the saves he was making! Not that GN was totally incorrect in saying some of the finishing could have been better, but I thought he was a bit harsh on De Gea.

I dont think any of the saves he made were in the outstanding category. I think probably his level is catching up with him a bit there unfairly. Any other keeper made that amount of saves in a game it would be headline news, its because he makes the average saves look exactly that.....average, that makes them pass with little or no fuss.

He will be no different to any other player in the squad in wanting to prove his worth to the team under the new management and this seems to be driving the mini revival.

Martial's form still a worry I thought he would burst out of the shackles under Ole but he still seems to be holding a little back, hopefully he will progress with the team as the new system get embedded.

Megaman

Great to see the change of attitude and the way the team is playing.

The 2nd half would be a bit of a worry going forward though, Utd where opened up far too often, although i put a lot of that down to bringing Lakaku on, even with the change of attitude in the team he still doesn't work hard enough for me.

As per JM's era my main 3 that need replaced / sold would be Jones, Lakaku and Matic.

Jones i a complete liability, he tries his best abd give it everything but is just not good enough.

trailer

OGS has made some very simple changes and they have worked. Dropping Lukaku for Rashford (something I've been insistent on) has paid huge dividends. Picking the best in form players in their best positions. Then motivate them. That's a managers job. OGS gets it. He should get a long term contract at the end of the season, massive financial backing, cut the deadwood (Lukaku) and Utd will be unstoppable.

brokencrossbar1

It's easy for OGS. He has no pressure and accepts that he will likely be gone at the end of the seasons so he can play who he likes and get them playing 'good' football. There's limited expectations and as a result the players can play with a bit of freedom. There's be the inevitable bounce and he's riding a crest of a wave. The thing is though imagine DDG didn't have a worldie the other day? United could easily have lost by 2-3 goals and the bubble would have been well and truly burst. He's doing a good job but the lack of pressure makes it very easy for him and the players. Give him the job on a permanent basis and the expectation and demands change.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: trailer on January 15, 2019, 11:14:37 AM
OGS has made some very simple changes and they have worked. Dropping Lukaku for Rashford (something I've been insistent on) has paid huge dividends. Picking the best in form players in their best positions. Then motivate them. That's a managers job. OGS gets it. He should get a long term contract at the end of the season, massive financial backing, cut the deadwood (Lukaku) and Utd will be unstoppable.

That's been the quote for nearly ten years now from Utd.

NAG1

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on January 15, 2019, 11:23:38 AM
It's easy for OGS. He has no pressure and accepts that he will likely be gone at the end of the seasons so he can play who he likes and get them playing 'good' football. There's limited expectations and as a result the players can play with a bit of freedom. There's be the inevitable bounce and he's riding a crest of a wave. The thing is though imagine DDG didn't have a worldie the other day? United could easily have lost by 2-3 goals and the bubble would have been well and truly burst. He's doing a good job but the lack of pressure makes it very easy for him and the players. Give him the job on a permanent basis and the expectation and demands change.

I think the DDG performance is getting well blown out of proportion. He didnt have a worldie, he had a good day he stopped shots he would be expected to save in any other game in any other context. It was the volume of shots that made it seem more like a top class performance, but break each chance down and look where he saved them, none we out of his reach or a complex save.

Dont get me wrong he is the best keeper in the world, but on Sunday he was just doing what he does with minimum fuss.

Look at the other end as well, Pogba had two clear chances and Martial was wasteful with a couple of good break aways, so it could easily have ended up with a bigger score the other way.

thewobbler

Quote from: NAG1 on January 15, 2019, 12:31:58 PM
I think the DDG performance is getting well blown out of proportion. He didnt have a worldie, he had a good day he stopped shots he would be expected to save in any other game in any other context. It was the volume of shots that made it seem more like a top class performance, but break each chance down and look where he saved them, none we out of his reach or a complex save.

Dont get me wrong he is the best keeper in the world, but on Sunday he was just doing what he does with minimum fuss.

Look at the other end as well, Pogba had two clear chances and Martial was wasteful with a couple of good break aways, so it could easily have ended up with a bigger score the other way.

It was effectively a siege on the United goal for the last half hour. Maybe there were few "spectacular" saves, but figure in that (unlike his defence and midfield) he continually closed down the correct angle, never once deflected a save into a dangerous area, and rather importantly killed the clock for every goal kick - absolutely necessary for him to do, as his teammates couldn't hold the ball for more than 5-7 seconds throughout the second half - and you've got a world class display.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: thewobbler on January 15, 2019, 12:55:42 PM

It was effectively a siege on the United goal for the last half hour. Maybe there were few "spectacular" saves, but figure in that (unlike his defence and midfield) he continually closed down the correct angle, never once deflected a save into a dangerous area, and rather importantly killed the clock for every goal kick - absolutely necessary for him to do, as his teammates couldn't hold the ball for more than 5-7 seconds throughout the second half - and you've got a world class display.

Exactly. The thing about the top top players, and this includes goalkeepers, is that they make the spectacular look straight forward due to positioning and anticipation. If a keeper is having to make huge dives all over the place on a regular basis to make saves that would suggest to me that their starting point and their reading of things is weak. As they get older and slower the reflexes slow down

Boycey

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on January 15, 2019, 01:26:33 PM

Exactly. The thing about the top top players, and this includes goalkeepers, is that they make the spectacular look straight forward due to positioning and anticipation. If a keeper is having to make huge dives all over the place on a regular basis to make saves that would suggest to me that their starting point and their reading of things is weak. As they get older and slower the reflexes slow down

Yeah it was said on here that Ole basically had a free roll at it, he was a 'safe pair of hands' til the end of the season with little or no pressure. I'd disagree bc1 that the bubble would have burst had United conceded 2/3 goals in the last half hour, the limitations of the squad in some areas is still there but the 1st hour United for easily the better team and that'd be good enough for most sane United supporters.

Looking at how Solskjaer has performed freeroll or not he's been impressive.Both in how the team has performed in how he's conducted himself in interviews etc. He looks to me like a man who realized he may only get six months in the job and he's damn well gonna give it his best shot and take it from there.

On DeGea, he did what he has done regularly over the years and made the difference. It's like Kane, Salah or another attacker being the difference between winning and not winning it's what top players do?

trailer

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on January 15, 2019, 01:26:33 PM

f**k me, Tottenham not that hot when one player can defeat them.

nrico2006

Quote from: NAG1 on January 15, 2019, 09:21:34 AM

I dont think any of the saves he made were in the outstanding category. I think probably his level is catching up with him a bit there unfairly. Any other keeper made that amount of saves in a game it would be headline news, its because he makes the average saves look exactly that.....average, that makes them pass with little or no fuss.

He will be no different to any other player in the squad in wanting to prove his worth to the team under the new management and this seems to be driving the mini revival.

Martial's form still a worry I thought he would burst out of the shackles under Ole but he still seems to be holding a little back, hopefully he will progress with the team as the new system get embedded.

+1.  My thoughts after the game were that De Gea played well but the saves required were straight forward.   
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

magpie seanie

Great to see supporters of other teams coming on here and not just laughing. Mind you I'd wonder how much of the games they actually watched with some of the comments but great they're worried again.  ;D

Maroon Manc

Quote from: nrico2006 on January 15, 2019, 02:46:23 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on January 15, 2019, 09:21:34 AM

+1.  My thoughts after the game were that De Gea played well but the saves required were straight forward.   

Agreed, United had a lot of good chances in that second half and even in the first half United looked very dangerous and picked the wrong option on several occasions.

Maroon Manc

Spurs were 13 points ahead of United less than a month ago now its down to 7 points and Harry Kane is out for 2 months plus Son could be missing for 10 games too. Spurs also have lost Dembele and have injuries to Sissoko and Wanyama and are still in 3 cup competitions.