Football qualifier route 2019

Started by Blowitupref, May 22, 2019, 01:45:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Glad to see that we'll quickly get rid of Fermanagh style of football.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

From the Bunker

Quote from: Ball Hopper on May 27, 2019, 08:47:55 AM
Louth v Antrim

Tipperary v Down

Leitrim v Wicklow

Wexford v Derry

Offaly v London

Monaghan v Fermanagh

Carlow v Kildare/Longford

Westmeath v Waterford

Great spread of games. I suppose this is what the 'B' Competition would look like down the line? You can only just imagine the excitement that these games would generate. Sky would be beating the door down to do coverage!

Croí na hÉireann

Balls. Was hoping for London away.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

BennyCake

Quote from: Orior on May 27, 2019, 09:14:23 AM
Glad to see that we'll quickly get rid of Fermanagh style of football.

Yup, and of Robinson Crusoe on the sideline.

Blowitupref

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 27, 2019, 09:23:18 AM
Louth v Antrim

Tipperary v Down

Leitrim v Wicklow

Wexford v Derry

Offaly v London

Monaghan v Fermanagh

Westmeath v Waterford

Great spread of games. I suppose this is what the 'B' Competition would look like down the line? You can only just imagine the excitement that these games would generate. Sky would be beating the door down to do coverage!

If it's Monaghan/Fermanagh v Mayo round 2 tie it should generate plenty of coverage.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

From the Bunker

Quote from: Blowitupref on May 27, 2019, 12:07:44 PM
Louth v Antrim

Tipperary v Down

Leitrim v Wicklow

Wexford v Derry

Offaly v London

Monaghan v Fermanagh

Westmeath v Waterford

If it's Monaghan/Fermanagh v Mayo round 2 tie it should generate plenty of coverage.

Would you get a fixture like that in the 'B' Competition?

lenny

Louth v Antrim

Tipperary v Down

Leitrim v Wicklow

Wexford v Derry

Offaly v London

Monaghan v Fermanagh

Westmeath v Waterford

I'm sure the players would look forward to games where they have a chance of winning instead of matches where they are trying to keep the score down and restrict the margin to single figures. Getting on tv might be the ambition of some players but I'd say most of the antrim or louth players couldn't have enjoyed their weekend gaa experience even though they got themselves seen on tv. Intermediate and junior club players don't get much tv or media coverage but it doesn't stop them training hard, being dedicated and enjoying the experience at the level that suits their ability with the added bonus of success now and again (or at least hope of getting success).

From the Bunker

Quote from: lenny on May 27, 2019, 02:45:18 PM
Louth v Antrim

Tipperary v Down

Leitrim v Wicklow

Wexford v Derry

Offaly v London

Monaghan v Fermanagh

Westmeath v Waterford

I'm sure the players would look forward to games where they have a chance of winning instead of matches where they are trying to keep the score down and restrict the margin to single figures. Getting on tv might be the ambition of some players but I'd say most of the antrim or louth players couldn't have enjoyed their weekend gaa experience even though they got themselves seen on tv. Intermediate and junior club players don't get much tv or media coverage but it doesn't stop them training hard, being dedicated and enjoying the experience at the level that suits their ability with the added bonus of success now and again (or at least hope of getting success).

That line has a Railway Cup feel to it!

imtommygunn

Only one(maybe two) of those games looks to be a shoe in. Should be more competitive than some of the games last weekend. Antrim and Louth pitted against each other after the hammerings last weekend.

Blowitupref

Saturday 8 June

Offaly v London, Tullamore, 1.30pm
Leitrim v Wicklow, Carrick-on-Shannon, 3pm
Wexford v Derry, Innovate Wexford Park, 4.45pm
Louth v Antrim, Gaelic Grounds, Drogheda, 7pm

Sunday 9 June

Down v Tipperary, Páirc Esler, Newry, 2pm
Monaghan v Fermanagh, St Tiernach's Park, Clones, 1.45pm
Carlow v Kildare/Longford, Netwatch Cullen Park, Carlow, 3pm
Westmeath v Waterford, TEG Cusack Park, Mullingar, 3pm
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

omagh_gael

Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 23, 2019, 11:23:12 AM
So Sligo who haven't won a match are in Round 2 of the qualifiers. Whereas Kildare, Meath, Louth who have all won a match could lose on Sunday and find themselves in Round 1 of the qualifiers. How can people defend the AI structures?

Even better than that Tyrone, after beating Derry and Antrim, could find themselves in round 2 with Sligo!

omaghjoe

Quote from: omagh_gael on May 28, 2019, 04:11:16 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 23, 2019, 11:23:12 AM
So Sligo who haven't won a match are in Round 2 of the qualifiers. Whereas Kildare, Meath, Louth who have all won a match could lose on Sunday and find themselves in Round 1 of the qualifiers. How can people defend the AI structures?

Even better than that Tyrone, after beating Derry and Antrim, could find themselves in round 2 with Sligo!

Been sayin this for years... a team that is in a small weak province is already at at advantage yet the qualifier system instead of leveling the playing field gives them an even bigger advantage

Jayop

It is a load of guff, but in fairness if Tyrone do manage to find themselves in R1/2 of the qualifiers then they really should be beating anyone else that's in that stage most years. You'd need to be pretty unlucky as a D1 county to end up playing another D1 in these rounds, especially R1.

In this years 1st round you have
D1 1 team - Monaghan
D2 2/3 teams - depending on whether Kildare are there
D3 5/6 teams depending on Longford
D4 7 teams

If Tyrone/Donegal managed to lose either of their 1st round games or a prelim then only a game against Monaghan which is a 1/15 shot would put them in any serious danger.

In this years 2nd round
Whoever loses our game (Tyrone V Donegal) will play one of the winners from the round 1 qualifiers. Again, only Monaghan would scare you.  Had one of those teams came through from round 1 it could be a different matter with a 1/8 change of playing the likes of Mayo.

Most likely it will be the 8 R1 winners playing from (Tyrone or Donegal), (Kildare or Longford), Laois, Limerick, Clare, (Armagh or Cavan).

Should be pretty easy to pick winners from all the potential ties you'll get apart from Monaghan.

Farrandeelin

What's the deal with home and away in round 2? Is it the losing semi finalists that get home advantage?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

oakleaf93

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 08, 2019, 11:54:03 AM
What's the deal with home and away in round 2? Is it the losing semi finalists that get home advantage?
Another draw is made to determine home and away unless its a division 3/4 team against a team from division 1/2 then the lower ranked team gets home advantage.