The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: seafoid on June 14, 2022, 02:39:29 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 14, 2022, 01:19:57 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 14, 2022, 12:20:51 PM
Should watch some ladies fball and especially Camogie, it's not that bad to watch, Cork had come with the best ever ladies team and won alot over a 10yr period, Cork camogie strong at the same time, plus some club all - Irelands, Her name, although like you said not common knowledge, is know for having the most all Ireland across gaa sports.

Be proud for her to my ma or daughter or sister. Class player
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G31Tz-W3vDM

Puckin off her left side on the run-most men cant do it

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 14, 2022, 02:37:47 PM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on June 14, 2022, 02:33:28 PM
Should watch some ladies fball and especially Camogie, it's not that bad to watch, Cork had come with the best ever ladies team and won alot over a 10yr period, Cork camogie strong at the same time, plus some club all - Irelands, Her name, although like you said not common knowledge, is know for having the most all Ireland across gaa sports.
I've been to a few Ladies matches at Club level but I've no interest to be honest. Perhaps it would be different if I had any daughters but I don't so c'est la vie. However apologies for being snide about Rena's achievements, she's obviously a legend in her own field and fair play to her

Be wee grand daughters someday, you will all round them like a rash a chara, hard yo beat the wee girls,stick by you too in later life, sons piss off to the mother in laws lol
Ive one grandson. There's another grandchild on the way so if it's a wee girl then I'll soon become familiar with the Cora's and Rena's of this world
Careful now

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on June 14, 2022, 03:25:03 PM
In terms of playing rules, there are three key differences between the mens & womens ladies versions of Gaelic football...

* In the ladies game, the ball may be lifted from the ground by the hands by a player as long as she is in a "standing" position i.e. has at least one foot on the ground with no other part of the body from the knee up touching the ground.
* Kickouts may be taken from the hands.
* All deliberate body contact is forbidden.

The first two matter little in terms of fundamental game play compared to the mens game, the third one is the most different - but in the mens game the only deliberate bodily contact allowed within the rules is the side-shoulder charge (except for the goalkeeper in his own small rectangle), all others are technically forbidden. However most referees in the mens game tend to allow more "deliberate" physical contact than the rules would appear to allow. The rules of play concerning the ladies game tends to be more explicit as to what is and isn't allowed.

I'm (technically) a qualified ladies football referee but only done referring mens boys football at blitzes, but from speaking to some other referees in Tyrone whom do officiating in both codes, all of them have said that the ladies games is easier to referee and I'd concur.

I don't think there is forward or back marks nor kick out marks.  so no marks in general

Yes and Ladies football is the easiest games you'll get
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

barnish oggie

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on June 14, 2022, 03:25:03 PM
In terms of playing rules, there are three key differences between the mens & womens ladies versions of Gaelic football...

* In the ladies game, the ball may be lifted from the ground by the hands by a player as long as she is in a "standing" position i.e. has at least one foot on the ground with no other part of the body from the knee up touching the ground.
* Kickouts may be taken from the hands.
* All deliberate body contact is forbidden.

The first two matter little in terms of fundamental game play compared to the mens game, the third one is the most different - but in the mens game the only deliberate bodily contact allowed within the rules is the side-shoulder charge (except for the goalkeeper in his own small rectangle), all others are technically forbidden. However most referees in the mens game tend to allow more "deliberate" physical contact than the rules would appear to allow. The rules of play concerning the ladies game tends to be more explicit as to what is and isn't allowed.

I'm (technically) a qualified ladies football referee but only done referring mens boys football at blitzes, but from speaking to some other referees in Tyrone whom do officiating in both codes, all of them have said that the ladies games is easier to referee and I'd concur.

There is a lot to be said for the ladies non contact tackling i.e. tackling the ball when it is being played.

It is a much better skill and better to watch, dispossessing a player when they are either soloing or passing than the slapping, pulling and hauling that goes on in the mens game.

Especially at underage, i think up to u12 maybe, they should bring in that tackling for the boys as well.

I know that there are definitely cases of young lads who end up terrified going on the pitch because they know if they get the ball they are going to have the life slapped out of them in tackles and you can see some just give up as a result.

It isn't their fault that at maybe 9 or 10 they are smaller than a lot of their peers and insisting on the non contact tackling in games would help them along.

johnnycool

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 14, 2022, 02:41:37 PM

Speak for yourself.  ;)

Quote from: thewobbler on June 14, 2022, 02:22:40 PM
I've never heard of Rena Buckley.

I rest my case   ;D

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: johnnycool on June 14, 2022, 03:39:37 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 14, 2022, 02:41:37 PM

Speak for yourself.  ;)

Quote from: thewobbler on June 14, 2022, 02:22:40 PM
I've never heard of Rena Buckley.

I rest my case   ;D

Lol- 40 yard pass over the sideline for me

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on June 14, 2022, 03:12:23 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 14, 2022, 02:37:47 PM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on June 14, 2022, 02:33:28 PM
I've been to a few Ladies matches at Club level but I've no interest to be honest. Perhaps it would be different if I had any daughters but I don't so c'est la vie. However apologies for being snide about Rena's achievements, she's obviously a legend in her own field and fair play to her

Be wee grand daughters someday, you will all round them like a rash a chara, hard yo beat the wee girls,stick by you too in later life, sons piss off to the mother in laws lol
Ive one grandson. There's another grandchild on the way so if it's a wee girl then I'll soon become familiar with the Cora's and Rena's of this world

In the words of Buff Egan "Drink it in". Great fun ahead

Man Marker

Sorry lads, can't watch the ladies football,poor standard for me, tactics poor, kicking poor as well. watching players solo 40m going apst 5 players. Not close to it. Now camogie, could watch it all day by comparison.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Man Marker on June 14, 2022, 03:47:22 PM
Sorry lads, can't watch the ladies football,poor standard for me, tactics poor, kicking poor as well. watching players solo 40m going apst 5 players. Not close to it. Now camogie, could watch it all day by comparison.

Same. But sadly ladies football seems to be getting upper hand in parts of derry due to its ease to play

trileacman

I haven't watched camogie in a while but found it particularly defensive and nigh unwatchable 4-5 years ago. Have seen a few good ladies games recently though and would pick a ladies match over camogie.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

smelmoth

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on June 12, 2022, 04:51:08 PM
Quote from: full moon on June 12, 2022, 04:47:04 PM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on June 12, 2022, 03:44:53 PM
Who's that panelist on RTE with O'Rourke and Cavanagh?  A complete one trick pony. Hopeless

She's hard to listen to, RTE must have a gender quota in play .  Wouldn't be a fan of the two bucks alongside either.

They have such terrible punditry
Jesus Cavanagh has a excelled himself' well it wasn't a penalty until he put his 2 arms around him at the end' So therefore it was a penalty

Weirdest bit of punditry I can remember. Rian O'Neil scored 1.7 but of course none of them were scores when he kicked them. They only became scores later when they went over the bar or in one instance into the net.

Dougal Maguire

It was the weirdest bit of punditry until the commentator issued this utterance in the second half ' and Rafferty was fouled which was fortunate as he'd dropped the ball' Any chance that it was the foul that actually made him drop the ball!!
Careful now

BennyHarp

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 14, 2022, 10:28:25 PM
https://twitter.com/SkySportsGAA/status/1536381815052804101?t=xD1QC830hqApEuCQiN82qg&s=19

I mean,come on a 12  year old could explain the sweeper

Yet you see players up and down the country making the mistakes pointed out in that clip. The problem is that plenty of people (and coaches of teams) think that the sweeper is just bringing a man back and yes a 12 year could explain that, but the key thing is what he does when he's back there. I would doubt if too many 12 year olds could explain it better than Peter and Jim did in that clip.
That was never a square ball!!

twohands!!!

Quote from: BennyHarp on June 20, 2022, 02:06:14 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 14, 2022, 10:28:25 PM
https://twitter.com/SkySportsGAA/status/1536381815052804101?t=xD1QC830hqApEuCQiN82qg&s=19

I mean,come on a 12  year old could explain the sweeper

Yet you see players up and down the country making the mistakes pointed out in that clip. The problem is that plenty of people (and coaches of teams) think that the sweeper is just bringing a man back and yes a 12 year could explain that, but the key thing is what he does when he's back there. I would doubt if too many 12 year olds could explain it better than Peter and Jim did in that clip.

Sweeper is an absolute nightmare of a position to play - it's very much a dammed if you do dammed if you don't in terms of when to come and and when to go.

Even in those clips the presence of the sweeper around the box meant that the odds of Galway putting a ball in around the box was way lower than if there was no sweeper there which reduced the chances of Galway getting a goal from those possessions significantly. I would say that the main aim of a sweeper is to reduce goal chances.

However it looks very bad for a sweeper when a forward strolls through the middle and pops over a point from that area in-between where a full-back and a centre-back would traditionally go.