Derry v Clare AI QF

Started by HiMucker, June 13, 2022, 09:19:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

onefineday

Clare are a solid d2 team, been there since 2016 and this is their 2nd quarter since then, with 2 of those years not having quarter finals, so I'd say most of those comments deriding them are a touch misplaced. They beat meath and rossies to get here, not many tailteann teams would do that. They'll obviously struggle against the very top teams, like most counties, but give them some respect. They had an off day against a team hungry for more success.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: onefineday on June 25, 2022, 06:58:30 PM
Clare are a solid d2 team, been there since 2016 and this is their 2nd quarter since then, with 2 of those years not having quarter finals, so I'd say most of those comments deriding them are a touch misplaced. They beat meath and rossies to get here, not many tailteann teams would do that. They'll obviously struggle against the very top teams, like most counties, but give them some respect. They had an off day against a team hungry for more success.

118k population. All Ireland semi hurling , quarters football. We could never achieve that as a county and far bigger population , I've massive respect for them .

marty34

Quote from: Cunny Funt on June 25, 2022, 06:56:28 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on June 25, 2022, 05:59:06 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on June 25, 2022, 05:55:20 PM
Enough of embarrassed people in Roscommon this evening without that resident adding himself.....

The embarrassment was Clare's and Clare's alone today.

With 67 minutes played Roscommon with 5 point lead allowed that Clare team play in todays Quarter final which they were totally out of their depth in. One Embarrassment avoided another.

But Clare are a regular Div. 2 team.

What does that say?

weareros

Congrats to Derry, and to Clare for making last 8. We would have got beaten well by Derry today, so Clare did indeed save us that. I said before they won Ulster that the Galway hammering in league was a freak result. Should they meet in semi, there won't be a repeat and would be a tasty semi. We'll see how tomorrow goes. I think Derry would find Armagh a tougher prospect, and would be an intriguing game too.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: weareros on June 25, 2022, 07:15:25 PM
Congrats to Derry, and to Clare for making last 8. We would have got beaten well by Derry today, so Clare did indeed save us that. I said before they won Ulster that the Galway hammering in league was a freak result. Should they meet in semi, there won't be a repeat and would be a tasty semi. We'll see how tomorrow goes. I think Derry would find Armagh a tougher prospect, and would be an intriguing game too.

Galway tougher

Cunny Funt

Quote from: marty34 on June 25, 2022, 07:11:51 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on June 25, 2022, 06:56:28 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on June 25, 2022, 05:59:06 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on June 25, 2022, 05:55:20 PM
Enough of embarrassed people in Roscommon this evening without that resident adding himself.....

The embarrassment was Clare's and Clare's alone today.

With 67 minutes played Roscommon with 5 point lead allowed that Clare team play in todays Quarter final which they were totally out of their depth in. One Embarrassment avoided another.

But Clare are a regular Div. 2 team.

What does that say?

That's their level at the moment. Collins having them Div 2 for so long is punching above their weight. All Ireland quarter final in Croke Park is a big step up from spring league football.

Aaron Boone

Derry undeniably impressive. Into the semis, serious stuff it well able for it.
Some All-Stars likely too.

yellowcard

Congratulations to Derry they've had a great season no matter what happens but they will have learned very little today. Let's be honest Clare were woeful and while I expected Derry to win easily I did think that Clare would at least put up some resistance. But the match was over before it really began.

For me the jury is still out on Derry even though they have done that has been asked of them in the championship to date. They could well be good enough to get to the final but we will know more after tomorrows game as to who will start the semi final as favourites.

charlieTully

Quote from: RedHand88 on June 25, 2022, 05:16:21 PM
I'm leaving the country for the month of July.

I have. Ended up pinting all day with an Omagh man. Our mutual hatred for all things orange was refreshing.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Aaron Boone on June 25, 2022, 07:32:22 PM
Derry undeniably impressive. Into the semis, serious stuff it well able for it.
Some All-Stars likely too.
Will be the usual in regards to All-Stars.  Semi final exit expect 1 or two.  4 of 5 to the runners up and 8 or more for the AI winners.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

GAABoardMod5

Division 2 will be very interesting in 2023...

Dublin and Kildare down from Div 1 2022

Derry, Clare, Meath and Cork hold Div 2 status from 2022

Louth and Limerick up from Div 3.

Aaron Boone

The 20-year stats (with QF) say it's Div 1 teams that win the AI and that's also those teams not relegated. Kerry, Mayo, Armagh are the big guns for the stats. Not Derry unfortunately. 

sam03/05

As said earlier in the thread
Clare are useless - how did they get to the last 8

From the Bunker

Quote from: sam03/05 on June 25, 2022, 09:54:50 PM
As said earlier in the thread
Clare are useless - how did they get to the last 8

Ask Meath and Roscommon?

tbrick18

Quote from: RedHand88 on June 25, 2022, 03:42:28 PM
Another first game of a double header infront huge swathes of empty seats. This game should have been in portlaoise or navan.

Lots of derry supporter missed the start of the game.
Huge tailbacks in Armagh, the toll on the motorway and there were reports of the main drumcondra road being closed.
Apparantly there's a Gay Pride march in Dublin tonight too so more than usual traffic.

Little to no traffic in around CP though.

The thing that irked me more than that though was why was there no national anthem before the Derry V Clare game, but for Dublin they had the band out and the anthem. Where's the equality in that!