Derry v Clare AI QF

Started by HiMucker, June 13, 2022, 09:19:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawshank

Quote from: Loughshore2022 on June 16, 2022, 01:46:04 PM
Derry will win by 10 points I think. The people here talk about being loyal Derry fans yet they don't seem to have much faith in their team who are Ulster Champions playing against a team who were lucky to win the last game. I will be watching in Cusack upper, the same place I was at in the last QF in 2007.
It will be interested to see what the semi final crowd is like, the last Derry semi final in 2004 the crowd was only around 35,000.

If we don't win by 7/8 points there is no point progressing. I appreciate the experience is critical to long term development. Our defensive style should not prevent us scoring as Clare should allow for lots of turnovers. I agree on your post.

Keyser soze

Quote from: shawshank on June 16, 2022, 03:03:59 PM
Quote from: Loughshore2022 on June 16, 2022, 01:46:04 PM
Derry will win by 10 points I think. The people here talk about being loyal Derry fans yet they don't seem to have much faith in their team who are Ulster Champions playing against a team who were lucky to win the last game. I will be watching in Cusack upper, the same place I was at in the last QF in 2007.
It will be interested to see what the semi final crowd is like, the last Derry semi final in 2004 the crowd was only around 35,000.

If we don't win by 7/8 points there is no point progressing. I appreciate the experience is critical to long term development. Our defensive style should not prevent us scoring as Clare should allow for lots of turnovers. I agree on your post.

Definitely, if we are only a couple of points up with time nearly gone we would be better to concede a goal or 2 rather than progressing and maybe getting beat in the next round.

8)

shawshank

if we only win by a couple of points our next game will be lour last. This has to be put into the context that we have as good a draw as you could wish for. With the performances we put into the Tyrone & Donegal game we should expect the level of performance that results in a 6/7/8 point win. I expect Galway to beat Armagh

restorepride

Winning by a point is enough and always will be in knockout championship. Simple as, no need to complicate. Doire abĂș.

oakleaflad

Be a liar if I said I wasn't a bit nervous and would take a one point win in a heartbeat. The team needs as many games against the top sides as possible. I'd love them to get to a final against a Kerry or Dublin even if they do lose, it's the best way to learn. I actually wanted Mayo in the draw as it's the team we'd learn most from. We're in bonus territory at this stage.

Wildweasel74

Not nervous I just enjoy the game. Derry got what they wanted this Yr, anything after a plus.They not beat Dublin or Kerry, so this and possible nxt game a free shot to improve Our panel us way too young and because of this, not even been used. I like to see a number of previous players invited bck nxt Yr if they fit for it to strengthen the team and panel.

restorepride

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 16, 2022, 05:19:26 PM
Not nervous I just enjoy the game. Derry got what they wanted this Yr, anything after a plus.They not bear Dublin or Kerry, so this and possible nxyt game a free shot to improve Our panel us way too young and because of this, not even been used. I like to see a number of previous players invited bck nxt Yr if they fit for it to strengthen the team and panel.
Who?

Champion The Wonder Horse

Lot of disrespect to Clare on this thread.

Anyhow, match and train tickets bought. Great to get back to Croke Park. Where are we meeting up?

restorepride

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on June 16, 2022, 10:27:33 PM

Anyhow, match and train tickets bought. Great to get back to Croke Park. Where are we meeting up?
Only from certain posters trying to stir it. Meeting up is Parnell Park.

shawshank

bollox, its more an expectation of where we are at and how we have improved. Limerick bt Clare, who in turn were stuffed by Kerry minus Clifford. if we haven't the confidence to believe we can win this game 6/7, then Croke park is not the place to be against a Kerry or Dublin or Galway.

marty34

Quote from: shawshank on June 17, 2022, 12:12:08 PM

bollox, its more an expectation of where we are at and how we have improved. Limerick bt Clare, who in turn were stuffed by Kerry minus Clifford. if we haven't the confidence to believe we can win this game 6/7, then Croke park is not the place to be against a Kerry or Dublin or Galway.

How can people judge by how many points a team will win a match by?

What's the science behind it?

I normally just say X will win.  I couldn't say by how much as it's impossible to say.

tbrick18

Maybe it's just me, but with the number of false dawns we've had with Derry over the last 25 years, its difficult for me to go to any game in absolute confidence that we're going to win. I remember going to Longford full of confidence in the qualifiers and getting turned over. On paper that should never have happened.

We "should" win.
We beat them in the league and we've arguably beaten stronger sides to get to the quarter final than Clare have.
But....championship is championship and we're not a well enough proven team to be sooo confident in our ability to beat Clare in a QF.

If Derry have their feet on the ground and if we have no major injuries AND if Clare don't bring a whole new level to their game against us (which can happen at this stage in the championship - see Tyrone last year) AND we don't have some ridiculous bit of refereeing then we should win.
Clare have nothing to lose here, no expectation off them and so no pressure. It's set up perfectly for them and they'll see it as a chance to get to an AIF too. Clare should lift their game, might get the rub of the green here or there and perhaps get a favourable referee. That tips the scales back a bit towards them.

Lots of if's in there and that's where the doubt comes in from my point of view.
Still really looking forward to it, especially taking the kids to see Derry in CP for the first time.

Armagh18

Quote from: marty34 on June 17, 2022, 12:20:47 PM
Quote from: shawshank on June 17, 2022, 12:12:08 PM

How can people judge by how many points a team will win a match by?

What's the science behind it?

I normally just say X will win.  I couldn't say by how much as it's impossible to say.
you must be getting on as badly as me in thr predictions competition then ;)

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: tbrick18 on June 17, 2022, 12:26:54 PM
Maybe it's just me, but with the number of false dawns we've had with Derry over the last 25 years, its difficult for me to go to any game in absolute confidence that we're going to win. I remember going to Longford full of confidence in the qualifiers and getting turned over. On paper that should never have happened.

We "should" win.
We beat them in the league and we've arguably beaten stronger sides to get to the quarter final than Clare have.
But....championship is championship and we're not a well enough proven team to be sooo confident in our ability to beat Clare in a QF.

If Derry have their feet on the ground and if we have no major injuries AND if Clare don't bring a whole new level to their game against us (which can happen at this stage in the championship - see Tyrone last year) AND we don't have some ridiculous bit of refereeing then we should win.
Clare have nothing to lose here, no expectation off them and so no pressure. It's set up perfectly for them and they'll see it as a chance to get to an AIF too. Clare should lift their game, might get the rub of the green here or there and perhaps get a favourable referee. That tips the scales back a bit towards them.

Lots of if's in there and that's where the doubt comes in from my point of view.
Still really looking forward to it, especially taking the kids to see Derry in CP for the first time.

Perfect post, I think most of derry will echo that too
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

thebuzz

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on June 17, 2022, 02:44:59 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on June 17, 2022, 12:26:54 PM

We "should" win.

Perfect post, I think most of derry will echo that too

Totally realistic. As I said before Clare beat Roscommon who thought they would win. If Derry have any complacency (which hopefully they won't have) they could easily be turned over after not playing for a month.