Kerry v Mayo AIQF 26th June 4pm Croke Park

Started by highorlow, June 13, 2022, 12:05:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 26, 2022, 11:17:45 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on June 26, 2022, 11:05:08 PM
Where do Mayo go from here? It's a sad way to see one of the great modern managers go, but that has to be time for Horan. Who are the contenders to succeed him?

Great is a bit of a stretch! It's not like he was working with limited resources - financial and natural.

He brought us to a higher place and made thinking of winning Sam the norm.

He did well but he never sealed the deal.

The crop of players he managed to bring through 2011-2014, given where the county was in 2010, is probably an under appreciated achievement. Not to mention the fact that we once again seemed to be a spent force in 2018 after the loss to Kildare, Horan came in and brought through another crop of players and reached back to back all Ireland finals.

Horans shortcomings were well known, and ultimately defining on the biggest stage. Its a pity Horan couldn't have worked side by side with a Rochford who could've had strengths that complimented well with Horans. Alas it wasn't to be. That said I find it hard to list of many better managers in the modern era- Jim Gavin, Jim McGuinness, Mickey Harte come to mind.
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: JoG2 on June 26, 2022, 11:44:38 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 26, 2022, 07:24:30 PM
I can't see Derry getting beat at this stage

I suppose stranger things have happened, but this is a mad statement Fear! I hope you're right though  ;D

I've been right all along . Everything going well , all the other teams have either injuries to key men or potential suspension s hanging over them

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on June 26, 2022, 11:05:47 PM
I still very much expect Dublin to win this out, Kerry did not impress me at all.

Did Dublin impress you against a Cork side who could easily be playing in the Tailteann cup?

JoG2

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 26, 2022, 11:56:34 PM

I suppose stranger things have happened, but this is a mad statement Fear! I hope you're right though  ;D

I've been right all along . Everything going well , all the other teams have either injuries to key men or potential suspension s hanging over them

Long may it continue Mistic Meg! Wonder where the foreign holiday be??  Bundoran? ;D

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: JoG2 on June 27, 2022, 12:03:20 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 26, 2022, 11:56:34 PM

Long may it continue Mistic Meg! Wonder where the foreign holiday be??  Bundoran? ;D

Lol, I'll pm you the lotto numbers before the weekend

Farrandeelin

Oh well. It wasn't to be was it?

Especially when you butcher so many chances when you're on top like we did yesterday in the third quarter. Shocking the amount of kicks into the keeper's hands and bad wides. Once Kerry got over that storm, you all know the rest. I'm not sure why we didn't double up on Clifford, the way Kerry doubled up on whoever Mayo had alone inside.

I was extremely disappointed in COC yesterday, and indeed he hasn't been and more than likely won't be the same player pre-injury. I said having him, Coen and AOS would be a speed advantage to Kerry, but Coen and AOS didn't do too bad at all. Ruane had another poor game, as did Kevin Mc, Loftus. I thought Carney snd Flynn the best of the starting forwards as Carney was lively and showing well. Kerry forwards greater than ours, ours were probably the worst of the weekend.

They brought Ciarán Mac to be forwards coach. Either he's not doing things properly, or Horan isn't taking on board the tactics employed by him.

Where do Mayo go from here? More than likely a fallow period as the warriors become less and less.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Wildweasel74

Mayo have good defenders but play way too open, most of the time one on one. That needs to change, Conroy and Donghue, make a difference but need a new no. 11 and no. 14.Honestly think Mayo should look at a outside manager. What you like for Jim McGuinness

seafoid

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 27, 2022, 08:01:25 AM
Oh well. It wasn't to be was it?

Especially when you butcher so many chances when you're on top like we did yesterday in the third quarter. Shocking the amount of kicks into the keeper's hands and bad wides. Once Kerry got over that storm, you all know the rest. I'm not sure why we didn't double up on Clifford, the way Kerry doubled up on whoever Mayo had alone inside.

I was extremely disappointed in COC yesterday, and indeed he hasn't been and more than likely won't be the same player pre-injury. I said having him, Coen and AOS would be a speed advantage to Kerry, but Coen and AOS didn't do too bad at all. Ruane had another poor game, as did Kevin Mc, Loftus. I thought Carney snd Flynn the best of the starting forwards as Carney was lively and showing well. Kerry forwards greater than ours, ours were probably the worst of the weekend.

They brought Ciarán Mac to be forwards coach. Either he's not doing things properly, or Horan isn't taking on board the tactics employed by him.

Where do Mayo go from here? More than likely a fallow period as the warriors become less and less.
Older players may retire. How mayo do depends on the younger ones. A new team is required to win an all Ireland.
It would be good if Galway and Mayo could push each other on as in the mid 90s on.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rossfan

No ut feckin wouldn't  Seaifín;D
Farr who have ye on the shortlist to replace Horan?
I suppose the Tanned one and McStay are gone past their "best before" dates?
Rochford? Outsider?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on June 27, 2022, 07:05:36 PM
Rochford? Outsider?
Ros also benefited. Connacht champions 2001

Armagh18

Quote from: Rossfan on June 27, 2022, 07:05:36 PM
Rochford? Outsider?
Jim McGuinness?

chrissears

Thank you James Horan for some great memories, there will now be a number of retirements from the players, COC, the
O'Se's and more. The truth is they are not good enough, we had great chances in 2012 and last year and never took them. I am sick of the same old excuses, " we never got going", "we didn't play as well as we could have" etc. We will now have to wait for this minor team and hope that a good few of these lads come through because this current crop are some way short of what's needed.

yellowcard

I'm surprised at some of the names being bandied about for the Mayo job. Donegal have regressed since they took Rochford in as coach and play a very rigid structured running game that hasn't developed at all. His stock has fallen since he managed Mayo previously.

McGuinness would cost a fortune and is unlikely to give up on soccer having invested the best part of a decade going through courses and taking fairly low profile positions. I doubt if he'll want to be seen as a failure cos if he goes back to Gaelic football I think that's the end of him as far as being a full time soccer coach is concerned. Plus he would have to reinvent himself as a Gaelic football manager since tactics have completely evolved since 2014.

seafoid

John O'Mahony took on the Galway job in 1998  having managed Leitrim to a Connacht Title in 1994.
Maybe someone with success in the Tailteann Cup... It's not an exact science..

highorlow

As predicted we have left the championship tamely enough. Our two best forwards out and a very lethargic COC as a starter cost us.

Kerry v Dublin should be a cracker. Cork stayed in the match last weekend by man marking Fenton, once he got more freedom after the break Dublin pulled clear.

I fancy Dublin against Kerry  and fancy them to win comfortably (4to5 points), Fenton again will get his spell. Tom O'Sullivan won't be allowed run riot and Dublin have home advantage.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go