An Fear Rua - Gone!!!!!

Started by Dinny Breen, September 11, 2012, 12:23:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Well known GAA website, An Fear Rua, has closed it's forum this week after 12 years of operation.
He blames financial problems as well as the difficulties of moderating an anonymous forum and a minority of users who do not stay within the guidelines.

Fear Rua Quote:
"This model of internet comment is no longer viable, if the comment is to be within the law at all times as well as the bounds of good taste.

In that context, my decision is also influenced by the unreasonable sense of entitlement displayed by a growing minority of Registered Users. There is a sense that they can just register under a pseudonym, pay nothing towards the upkeep of the site or towards an insurance against libel matched by a total lack of any attempt to even understand – let alone accept – that I have a right, and a duty, to administer this site in accordance with the law and in the interests of everyone who used it."

#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 11, 2012, 12:23:41 PM
Well known GAA website, An Fear Rua, has closed it's forum this week after 12 years of operation.
He blames financial problems as well as the difficulties of moderating an anonymous forum and a minority of users who do not stay within the guidelines.

Fear Rua Quote:
"This model of internet comment is no longer viable, if the comment is to be within the law at all times as well as the bounds of good taste.

In that context, my decision is also influenced by the unreasonable sense of entitlement displayed by a growing minority of Registered Users. There is a sense that they can just register under a pseudonym, pay nothing towards the upkeep of the site or towards an insurance against libel matched by a total lack of any attempt to even understand – let alone accept – that I have a right, and a duty, to administer this site in accordance with the law and in the interests of everyone who used it."

Where did you see this dinny?

Syferus

The full quote:

QuoteExactly twelve years ago this month I set up An Fear Rua-The GAA Unplugged! I have now decided to discontinue it. I have immediately closed the 'Speak Out!' forum but the Content Zone will continue for the moment.
An anonymous internet forum is an anachronism. It has been overtaken by the arrival of 'open identity' forums such as Twitter and Facebook. This model of internet comment is no longer viable, if the comment is to be within the law at all times as well as the bounds of good taste.

This has been a labour of love. In hard cash it has cost me more than €150,000 over the years. If I costed the time I've spent managing it – at even the average industrial wage – the total cost or investment would be the best part of €500,000. I have never made more than €10,000 a year on average in advertising revenue, despite trying the services of five or six ad selling agencies. It is simply not possible to make this site a paying proposition.

In that context, my decision is also influenced by the unreasonable sense of entitlement displayed by a growing minority of Registered Users. There is a sense that they can just register under a pseudonym, pay nothing towards the upkeep of the site or towards an insurance against libel matched by a total lack of any attempt to even understand – let alone accept – that I have a right, and a duty, to administer this site in accordance with the law and in the interests of everyone who used it.
I thank all the decent people who supported the site over the years. I regret that it has come to this and I wish you well in the future.

Strangeness. It's a 'labour of love' and he goes on to hypothetically cost it as if it were a full-time job. The solution to his other problems is this magical this magical thing called moderation.

Really can't get behind his logic. It has a strong feeling of taking the ball home with him.

I think we can expect a influx to the hurling board.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 11, 2012, 12:30:22 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 11, 2012, 12:23:41 PM

Fear Rua Quote:

Where did you see this dinny?

It was on the Kerry GAA forum.
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

Ah, I thought it read like a press release. Sad to see it go in fairness, even though he called me a bollox :D

Dinny Breen

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 11, 2012, 12:39:22 PM
Ah, I thought it read like a press release. Sad to see it go in fairness, even though he called me a bollox :D

Nothing wrong with his senses so.
#newbridgeornowhere

theticklemister

I have never come across anybody being sanctioned or reprimanded on this board. U think yer man on fear rua takes this board business too seriously

johnneycool

Quote from: theticklemister on September 11, 2012, 12:49:32 PM
I have never come across anybody being sanctioned or reprimanded on this board. U think yer man on fear rua takes this board business too seriously

I think he's been having a few health issues as well, so I wouldn't be going castigating him too much.

Zulu

Did you post there AZ? I thought it was a decent forum with some good contributors and threads, though very much a Limerick/Clare dominated forum.

It's a pity it's gone and considering it was no different to here I find it hard to understand his fears regarding defamation law and the like.

AZOffaly

I was banned I think :) I used to read it though.

When he started it up, I think he was spamming here directing people to go to his new forum, and I was one of a number that gave out to him. He called me a bollox on AFR at some stage after that :)

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Syferus on September 11, 2012, 12:31:11 PM
The full quote:

QuoteExactly twelve years ago this month I set up An Fear Rua-The GAA Unplugged! I have now decided to discontinue it. I have immediately closed the 'Speak Out!' forum but the Content Zone will continue for the moment.
An anonymous internet forum is an anachronism. It has been overtaken by the arrival of 'open identity' forums such as Twitter and Facebook. This model of internet comment is no longer viable, if the comment is to be within the law at all times as well as the bounds of good taste.

This has been a labour of love. In hard cash it has cost me more than €150,000 over the years. If I costed the time I've spent managing it – at even the average industrial wage – the total cost or investment would be the best part of €500,000. I have never made more than €10,000 a year on average in advertising revenue, despite trying the services of five or six ad selling agencies. It is simply not possible to make this site a paying proposition.

In that context, my decision is also influenced by the unreasonable sense of entitlement displayed by a growing minority of Registered Users. There is a sense that they can just register under a pseudonym, pay nothing towards the upkeep of the site or towards an insurance against libel matched by a total lack of any attempt to even understand – let alone accept – that I have a right, and a duty, to administer this site in accordance with the law and in the interests of everyone who used it.
I thank all the decent people who supported the site over the years. I regret that it has come to this and I wish you well in the future.

Strangeness. It's a 'labour of love' and he goes on to hypothetically cost it as if it were a full-time job. The solution to his other problems is this magical this magical thing called moderation.

Really can't get behind his logic. It has a strong feeling of taking the ball home with him.

I think you've put your finger on it there Syferus. It's a labour of love or it's an effort at making money. The reference to the six ad agencies settles it, I think.

If he's not well I hope he gets better but I think the chief reaction here should be happiness and relief that we're all able to enjoy good GAA banter here, the best GAA discussion board there is. Thanks, Mods, whoever you are. We appreciate it.

J70

Quote from: theticklemister on September 11, 2012, 12:49:32 PM

There's been a fair few lads warned and banned here over the years. You do have to be a complete arsehole though!

GalwayBayBoy

Well business on the hurling board should pick up anyway.

Hardy

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on September 11, 2012, 01:40:55 PM
The full quote:

I think you've put your finger on it there Syferus. It's a labour of love or it's an effort at making money. The reference to the six ad agencies settles it, I think.

If he's not well I hope he gets better but I think the chief reaction here should be happiness and relief that we're all able to enjoy good GAA banter here, the best GAA discussion board there is. Thanks, Mods, whoever you are. We appreciate it.

Yes - we don't remember often enough to express that.

screenexile

Quote from: Hardy on September 11, 2012, 02:20:06 PM
Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on September 11, 2012, 01:40:55 PM
The full quote:

Yes - we don't remember often enough to express that.

Ziggy knows we appreciate his hard work!!!