The future of Croke Park

Started by DhoireTheas, June 02, 2023, 05:29:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Quote from: seafoid on June 03, 2023, 09:06:11 AM
Quote from: Manning18 on June 02, 2023, 09:17:27 PM
Any grand ideas we may have had about increased capacity were crushed around the end of the noughties. It used to be a near sell out for every Dublin game back then, and 3-4 extra per season. Now it's only a true sell out for the finals, with 65k+ attendances reserved for certain big days involving Limerick or Cork hurlers, or an odd football double header including the likes of Armagh or a blockbuster semi like Kerry v Dublin. If anything the stadiums considerably too big now

The oldest part of the stadium, the Cusack, is still perfectly adequate in basically all areas. Corporate facilities there are still not far behind the Hogan side. To have that being the case 30 years on is probably testament to the vision of the admin behind the reconstruction at that time. I suspect we'll see near to zero changes to the stadium for the next 20 years
I think it's too big for the GAA, not just in terms of size but also in term of maintenance costs, commercial focus  and potentially in terms of future rebuild if cost inflation on the A5 is anything to go by.

Huh? Doesn't the stadium produce revenue through its museum and conference facilities?

seafoid

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on June 05, 2023, 04:14:47 PM
Any grand ideas we may have had about increased capacity were crushed around the end of the noughties. It used to be a near sell out for every Dublin game back then, and 3-4 extra per season. Now it's only a true sell out for the finals, with 65k+ attendances reserved for certain big days involving Limerick or Cork hurlers, or an odd football double header including the likes of Armagh or a blockbuster semi like Kerry v Dublin. If anything the stadiums considerably too big now

The oldest part of the stadium, the Cusack, is still perfectly adequate in basically all areas. Corporate facilities there are still not far behind the Hogan side. To have that being the case 30 years on is probably testament to the vision of the admin behind the reconstruction at that time. I suspect we'll see near to zero changes to the stadium for the next 20 years
I think it's too big for the GAA, not just in terms of size but also in term of maintenance costs, commercial focus  and potentially in terms of future rebuild if cost inflation on the A5 is anything to go by.

Huh? Doesn't the stadium produce revenue through its museum and conference facilities?
It does but it's a distraction imo
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

clonadmad

Quote from: seafoid on June 05, 2023, 04:16:50 PM

Last Year Croke Park contributed over €18m in non GAA match day related income

Some distraction

Rossfan

Th'oul Cowboy and Western concerts contributed a good whack of that.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rossfan on June 05, 2023, 04:58:58 PM
Th'oul Cowboy and Western concerts contributed a good whack of that.

Great business, better than it sitting idle
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Eamonnca1

The GAA has always been criticised for making too much money, even though it's nearly all reinvested in the association.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: clonadmad on June 05, 2023, 04:56:19 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 05, 2023, 04:16:50 PM

Last Year Croke Park contributed over €18m in non GAA match day related income

Some distraction

you'd swear the referees and players were in there running the conferences in between games!
Hasta la victoria siempre

The Subbie

Quote from: clarshack on June 03, 2023, 08:05:39 AM
Quote from: The Subbie on June 03, 2023, 03:58:13 AM
Most modern structures are built with a 120 year design life contemplated when in planning
I'd say Croker will outlast most of us

the stadium looks like it is ageing already.

I'm Not talking about cosmetic appearance
I'm talking about structural integrity and durability