Sam Maguire Group 2 - Galway, Armagh, Tyrone, Westmeath

Started by GAABoardMod5, May 23, 2023, 08:26:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

Quote from: bennydorano on May 30, 2023, 02:31:17 PM
I think we are on a sticky wicket here, go full pelt and get beat and there's another pick me up required for Galway. I'm honestly not sure we'd be any worse off by tanking both games and concentrating on the preliminary QF. It's not going to happen tho but the 'professional' approach would be to play the percentages and do just that. It'll be clearer after this weekend I suppose, we could be vying for top spot or anxiously watching Westmeath's last game, Westmeath not being whipping boys could certainly complicate things.
Fully expect to run Galway very close but lose narrowly - burning more matches we can't afford. We're going to be in shitty mental shape come the preliminary qf - assuming we make it.

Manning18

Galway v Armagh the next day is such a weird game. Unless Armagh think Tyrone may lay an egg v Westmeath (possible because Westmeath are decent), they're completely booked for third. Galway need to take it semi serious incase they get beat and and Tyrone run the score up on Westmeath, but still it's hard to imagine they'll be gung ho in a situation of ifs and buts. Armagh missing their best player also, which probably puts paid to the idea it'll be in Croker in front of a big crowd. Very odd situation

sam03/05

Westmeath surely have nothing to play for / they would need to beat Tyrone by 8 points which would be unlikely

Redhand Santa

If Armagh win, a Westmeath win would see them through.

seafoid

Westmeath were unlucky to land in that group. They probably would have gotten points out of Clare and maybe Donegal or Cork and Louth
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

Another match severely compromised by a sending off due to a stupid foul. Armagh played well in the second half. I suppose these matches are for learning as much as practice. They will  have strengthened Tyrone and given Armagh something to think about. The all Ireland is very open this year.

seafoid

Quote from: Redhand Santa on June 04, 2023, 09:38:20 AM
If Armagh win, a Westmeath win would see them through.
If Galway beat Armagh by at least 8 points and Westmeath beat Tyrone I think Westmeath would qualify too-

An Watcher

If westmeath beat Tyrone by 4 then there'll level on scoring difference and points with Tyrone.  5 point win will do them

rrhf

Not a fan of the non knock out system. To me the game had the feeling of a dead rubber with each team taking notions at times.

armaghniac

Quote from: rrhf on June 04, 2023, 01:19:46 PM
Not a fan of the non knock out system. To me the game had the feeling of a dead rubber with each team taking notions at times.

That may reflect the uselessness of the teams as much as anything. It seems to me that a home preliminary QF is worth some effort.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

scout

If results go as expected and say 1.Galway 2.Tyrone 3. Armagh 4. Westmeath
does that mean Tyrone will be home to cork & Kerry home to Armagh?
Or is it random draw for the preliminary games?

Fuzzman

Random draw but avoiding games from provincial finals or teams from same group if possible.
So in the above scenario Tyrone could possibly meet Kildare, Cork or Donegal if they finish third in their groups as it currently looks like.

dec

Any idea when the date/time of the last round of games will be confirmed?

Blowitupref

Quote from: dec on June 05, 2023, 07:24:24 PM
Any idea when the date/time of the last round of games will be confirmed?
Tomorrow.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

larryin89

Seems to be flying around that Mayo v cork is in tullamore along with dubs v Sligo . Galway v Armagh in croker with Derry match I think . Doing everything they can to give Galway an advantage in a year where they are expected to win it out anyway by many pundits .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .