President McAleese Heckled as she visits Primary in Coleraine

Started by Surreal Steve, June 10, 2008, 04:25:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

his holiness nb

Quote from: SammyG on June 13, 2008, 09:08:08 AM
the next time I log on there's always somebody accusing me of something.

What were you "accused" of?
I'll tell you, doing nothing.

hardly a savage attack  :D :D :D
Ask me holy bollix

his holiness nb

Quote from: MW on June 12, 2008, 09:21:19 PM
Have a look back at the posts of Surreal Steve, Shamrock Shore and Bogball XV on the first page. Then ask yourself why you decided to single me out.

I have no idea what you are on about MW, and if you had a look around this site you would see I single out people of all creeds on a regular basis so theres no need to give the whole "is it coz I is Unionist" whingefest  ;)
Ask me holy bollix

SammyG

Quote from: his holiness nb on June 13, 2008, 01:26:35 PM
Quote from: SammyG on June 13, 2008, 09:08:08 AM
the next time I log on there's always somebody accusing me of something.

What were you "accused" of?
I'll tell you, doing nothing.

hardly a savage attack  :D :D :D

Err you accused me of supporting the protesters, because I hadn't specifically posted to condemn them. When J70 and NIFan pulled you about this, you tried to change tack.

his holiness nb

Quote from: SammyG on June 13, 2008, 02:20:12 PM
Err you accused me of supporting the protesters, because I hadn't specifically posted to condemn them. When J70 and NIFan pulled you about this, you tried to change tack.

Sammy you are a down and out big fat liar, I never accused you of anything of the sort.
Noting that you stayed silent and didnt condemn them is not the same as saying you supported the protestors. If you cant see that then thats your problem.

I clarified exactly what I mean to J70 and he accepted my explanation.

I didnt see Nifan "pulling" me about anything. He just asked who I was referring to.

Thats one more lie to add to your ever growing list Sammy, carry on  ;)
Ask me holy bollix

MW

Quote from: his holiness nb on June 13, 2008, 01:28:51 PM
Have a look back at the posts of Surreal Steve, Shamrock Shore and Bogball XV on the first page. Then ask yourself why you decided to single me out.

I have no idea what you are on about MW, and if you had a look around this site you would see I single out people of all creeds on a regular basis so theres no need to give the whole "is it coz I is Unionist" whingefest  ;)

So you singled me out because...?

his holiness nb

Quote from: MW on June 13, 2008, 07:43:53 PM
Quote from: his holiness nb on June 13, 2008, 01:28:51 PM

So you singled me out because...?

Because you are a victim and I hate all protestants. That what you want to hear?  ::)
Ask me holy bollix

Solomon Kane

Quote from: tram on June 14, 2008, 02:39:41 PM
W.R.T. the comments she made at the time, she wasn't wrong in what she said. Her big mistake was forgetting to include the fact that also some Catholics have (and still) are taught to hate Protestants too.

Even if she had included Catholics she would still be way off the mark. The Nazis were not a fair comparison - they were among the most evil bastards in the history of the world. Intolerance is one thing, but a desire to wipe other groups of people off the face of the earth is another altogether. Northern Ireland is far from unique as far as intolerance goes, and it is still in it's birthing pains. There may be some people whose views are extreme to say the least but they are becoming increasingly marginalised. The end of the bloodshed will mean the place will be even more improved a generation or two down the line, when people have no living memory of the crimes committed against their community by "themuns".

Bogball XV

Quote from: Solomon Kane on June 14, 2008, 04:21:17 PM
Quote from: tram on June 14, 2008, 02:39:41 PM
W.R.T. the comments she made at the time, she wasn't wrong in what she said. Her big mistake was forgetting to include the fact that also some Catholics have (and still) are taught to hate Protestants too.
The Nazis were not a fair comparison - they were among the most evil bastards in the history of the world. Intolerance is one thing, but a desire to wipe other groups of people off the face of the earth is another altogether.
So that differs from NI how?

Main Street

Afair McAleese's comparison was with the method of transmitting hate to a younger generation

she was not comparing the quality of the hate or the effect of that hate with the Nazis.

That is the subject for a historical debate not the statement to be uttered by the President.
AFAIR  the President has 100% apologised for her comments.

A point which is forgotten or sidestepped by those who refuse to take her apology.

Solomon Kane

I would not doubt that many if not most murder victims in NI were killed because of their religion. Even if they were killed because they had been in the police or whatever and they happened to be prods it was likely a bonus for the killers. It is a bit of a stretch to call Seawright a politician but if anyone could be compared to a Nazi it was him. I do accept Main Street's assertion about the quality and efffect of the hate, but I just dont accept that "Nazi" is a term that can be bandied about lightly. Would anyone be prepared to use that analogy for what is being preached (according to some British tabloids) in certain Mosques in England?

Main Street

Of course it wasn't acceptable,

'She said some people had accused her of making a connection between Protestantism and Nazism'.
"That's a dreadful assertion and indeed if anybody took that from it I should have to say that I would be very, very, very deeply sorry indeed.
"I was trying to make a point and I made it very clumsily indeed. I am the first to put my hands up and say I made it very clumsily indeed."

What it comes down to, are people prepared to accept her sincere apology or are people just going to remember the offense?

Solomon Kane

Quote from: Main Street on June 14, 2008, 06:15:14 PM
What it comes down to, are people prepared to accept her sincere apology or are people just going to remember the offense?

And that Main Street is what ballsed up Miss Jade Goodie's "career". I'm sure that her apology was every bit as sincere. Few people, regardless of their actual views want to come accross as bigoted. The protesters in this case no doubt would have used any excuse to protest, but in some cases, mud sticks. Personally I believe McAleeses remarks were clumsy rather than anything more malicious, but I see the woman as clueless at the best of times. Does she really think she is reaching out to anyone in unionism by having Jackie McDonald over for tea? Is she trying to insult us all or is she really that stupid.

Rossfan

Quote from: Solomon Kane on June 14, 2008, 06:21:53 PM
Personally I believe McAleeses remarks were clumsy rather than anything more malicious.....

Talk about showing your contempt for our Uachtarán   -  only calling her by her surname   :-\
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Main Street

Quote from: Main Street on June 14, 2008, 06:15:14 PM

And that Main Street is what ballsed up Miss Jade Goodie's "career". I'm sure that her apology was every bit as sincere. Few people, regardless of their actual views want to come accross as bigoted. The protesters in this case no doubt would have used any excuse to protest, but in some cases, mud sticks. Personally I believe McAleeses remarks were clumsy rather than anything more malicious, but I see the woman as clueless at the best of times. Does she really think she is reaching out to anyone in unionism by having Jackie McDonald over for tea? Is she trying to insult us all or is she really that stupid.
Who knows what she is thinking when she met with McDonald? I don't judge her on that.
Presidents meet a lot of different people, some of them probably guilty of a lot of things.

I get your point about the apology and the actual view first expressed.
I think this has been discussed before.

How do Unionists in general perceive her?
It looks to me that it is mainly cynical DUP type Unionists still take offense with her.
She is quite active in visiting the North.
She is being made welcome. If people at those places she visited said it was a worthless experience then I would question her sincerity.
It looks to me that she is being very well received by the vast majority of people in the North.

For what I can see she is making an effort and her perceived or actual clumsiness doesn't undermine or minimize any significance with her diplomatic activity.

Solomon Kane

Quote from: Rossfan on June 14, 2008, 08:03:59 PM
Personally I believe McAleeses remarks were clumsy rather than anything more malicious.....

Talk about showing your contempt for our Uachtarán   -  only calling her by her surname   :-\

I will not deny I do not like her. She is a pale shadow of the woman she followed. I make no apology for this.