Previous topic - Next topic

Crete Boom

Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 28, 2016, 01:46:17 PM
Quote from: Crete Boom on September 28, 2016, 11:56:38 AM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 28, 2016, 11:47:36 AM
Quote from: rosnarun on September 28, 2016, 10:49:57 AM
Quote from: Crete Boom on September 28, 2016, 10:40:04 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on September 28, 2016, 10:01:08 AM
Seems a bit excessive this time though. Connolly is no saint and Cavanagh was a villain until a year or two ago and is now whiter than white making Keegan look bad. Sure Crowley was always as bad on Cavanagh anyway when he marked him.

Do you not just think it is a case of the Dubs camp taking advantage of the newspapers that are desperate to sell papers? With Dublin being where they will sell the most papers , having a piece with some ex Dublin hero attached to it is going to sell more copy than with an ex Mayo stars' name attached to it.

If the Dubs think they will sink Mayo by pressurising a ref to book or send off Keegan through the papers then let them at it but I think they have gone way over the top this week and it could well backfire on them.
id seriously worry about Deegan he seems a very weak willed character that the crowd know they can get at , like a lot of refs he seems to pick a few rules to ref on a certain day and ignore 90% of the rest of whats going on
You are dead right, ros.
Deegan can be easily influenced by what he reads in the papers. Remember the AI against Donegal when Brolly had waged a one man war against Horan and the team after the win over Dublin.
Mayo started off badly and the backs were totally disorganised as Donegal mounted attack after attack. Both Boyle and Vaughan got yellow cards in the opening few minutes for fouling their markers. But even the commentators were amazed that Deegan would dish them out that early in the game before the players had a chance to settle down.
They fouled alright but getting a yellow at any stage of the game would have been harsh.
Brolly saw things in that game that nobody else saw. 
He capped it all by saying that he had a few pints with Pat Gilroy afterwards and Gilroy was "seething" at Mayo's tactics. 
Now, the thick plottens as my Connemara buddy used to say......
Dublin was the side that came to the game with a reputation for heavy tactics and oin the first few minutes, McStay and his co-commentator were amazed at some of their tackles  that McQuillen was letting go.
No doubt Dublin were giving better than they got but Brolly saw otherwise.
Deegan was watching every Mayo move but saw sweet feck all wrong with Donegal's tactics. At that  time, Donegal had an even worse reputation than Dublin for sneaky stuff.
So I am worried that Deegan could be influenced by the witch hunt against Keegan and pay no attention to McMahon at the other end.

That may all be true Lar but we didn't lose to Donegal because of those yellow cards and we didn't lose the 2013 final because McQuillan let the Dubs be aggressive/physical. If Lee gets the line unfairly while it piss me off big time I don't think it would stop Mayo from winning on Sat and anyway if Deegan does book Lee early he is the type of Ref that won't give him a second yellow (because it is an All Ireland final) unless Lee karate kicks him to the head or tears his arm off!!!
Nah, but the point I was making is that Deegan can be influenced by what he reads.

I agree but we can't control what influences a good/bad/shite ref but Mayo can control up to 90% of the rest of what happens in a game so that's what I am more concerned with and that is where might beat Dublin!!

sambostar

Quote from: Crete Boom on September 28, 2016, 02:11:27 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 28, 2016, 01:46:17 PM
Quote from: Crete Boom on September 28, 2016, 11:56:38 AM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 28, 2016, 11:47:36 AM
Quote from: rosnarun on September 28, 2016, 10:49:57 AM
Quote from: Crete Boom on September 28, 2016, 10:40:04 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on September 28, 2016, 10:01:08 AM
Seems a bit excessive this time though. Connolly is no saint and Cavanagh was a villain until a year or two ago and is now whiter than white making Keegan look bad. Sure Crowley was always as bad on Cavanagh anyway when he marked him.

Do you not just think it is a case of the Dubs camp taking advantage of the newspapers that are desperate to sell papers? With Dublin being where they will sell the most papers , having a piece with some ex Dublin hero attached to it is going to sell more copy than with an ex Mayo stars' name attached to it.

If the Dubs think they will sink Mayo by pressurising a ref to book or send off Keegan through the papers then let them at it but I think they have gone way over the top this week and it could well backfire on them.
id seriously worry about Deegan he seems a very weak willed character that the crowd know they can get at , like a lot of refs he seems to pick a few rules to ref on a certain day and ignore 90% of the rest of whats going on
You are dead right, ros.
Deegan can be easily influenced by what he reads in the papers. Remember the AI against Donegal when Brolly had waged a one man war against Horan and the team after the win over Dublin.
Mayo started off badly and the backs were totally disorganised as Donegal mounted attack after attack. Both Boyle and Vaughan got yellow cards in the opening few minutes for fouling their markers. But even the commentators were amazed that Deegan would dish them out that early in the game before the players had a chance to settle down.
They fouled alright but getting a yellow at any stage of the game would have been harsh.
Brolly saw things in that game that nobody else saw. 
He capped it all by saying that he had a few pints with Pat Gilroy afterwards and Gilroy was "seething" at Mayo's tactics. 
Now, the thick plottens as my Connemara buddy used to say......
Dublin was the side that came to the game with a reputation for heavy tactics and oin the first few minutes, McStay and his co-commentator were amazed at some of their tackles  that McQuillen was letting go.
No doubt Dublin were giving better than they got but Brolly saw otherwise.
Deegan was watching every Mayo move but saw sweet feck all wrong with Donegal's tactics. At that  time, Donegal had an even worse reputation than Dublin for sneaky stuff.
So I am worried that Deegan could be influenced by the witch hunt against Keegan and pay no attention to McMahon at the other end.

That may all be true Lar but we didn't lose to Donegal because of those yellow cards and we didn't lose the 2013 final because McQuillan let the Dubs be aggressive/physical. If Lee gets the line unfairly while it piss me off big time I don't think it would stop Mayo from winning on Sat and anyway if Deegan does book Lee early he is the type of Ref that won't give him a second yellow (because it is an All Ireland final) unless Lee karate kicks him to the head or tears his arm off!!!
Nah, but the point I was making is that Deegan can be influenced by what he reads.
Deegan was influenced in last years semi-final against Kerry by RTE's montage of Tyrone "dark arts" against Monaghan in the quarter-final.

Tyrone had a stone-wall penalty shout denied in the last 5mins & McNulty booked for diving instead.

bucko

For any twitteratti out there check out #thingsLeedid😂😂😂

Fuzzman

Whitey, spare you the Cavanagh victim spiel?

Cavanagh had been targeted all first half as Keegan would pull and drag him and block his runs, exactly like he does v Connolly and Westbound sums it up correctly. So Cavanagh decides to take matters into his own hands and try to get him booked as it might stop his nonsense. Unfortunately for Sean he ends up getting the 2nd booking and so feels distraught that he let his team down.

Now I don't expect you to have much sympathy for Sean as he got himself sent off but can you at least admit that Sean reacted like he did because Keegan was at him the whole first half or were you blind to that?

OK let me ask you another question? Do you think Keegan continually uses unlawful methods to put his man off or do you not see that either?
I'm not asking if McMahon or Cooper do the same things? I'm asking do you see Keegan doing it?
Are you saying that it's Connolly (and Cavanagh) who were the instigators and that Keegan and don't nothing to provoke that reaction?

I can admit I saw Justy McMahon do it a few years ago to Murphy up in Donegal and he should have been booked much early than he was. Some say it's part and parcel of the game but to be it's a foul and a yellow card

Crete Boom

Quote from: Fuzzman on September 28, 2016, 04:00:27 PM
Whitey, spare you the Cavanagh victim spiel?

Cavanagh had been targeted all first half as Keegan would pull and drag him and block his runs, exactly like he does v Connolly and Westbound sums it up correctly. So Cavanagh decides to take matters into his own hands and try to get him booked as it might stop his nonsense. Unfortunately for Sean he ends up getting the 2nd booking and so feels distraught that he let his team down.

Now I don't expect you to have much sympathy for Sean as he got himself sent off but can you at least admit that Sean reacted like he did because Keegan was at him the whole first half or were you blind to that?

OK let me ask you another question? Do you think Keegan continually uses unlawful methods to put his man off or do you not see that either?
I'm not asking if McMahon or Cooper do the same things? I'm asking do you see Keegan doing it?
Are you saying that it's Connolly (and Cavanagh) who were the instigators and that Keegan and don't nothing to provoke that reaction?

I can admit I saw Justy McMahon do it a few years ago to Murphy up in Donegal and he should have been booked much early than he was. Some say it's part and parcel of the game but to be it's a foul and a yellow card

The first bit in bold , Yes Keegan does use unlawful methods to put his man off but to say continually he does this I would say no , because he is a very good defender so it is his ability that shuts people down the majority of the time!!

Justy did the odd time go over the edge but if I had to name top Tyrone defenders that had a go/took it over the edge at players while they shut them down Gormley and Ricey would come to my mind first but that's neither here no there!!

bucko

The Leeroy v Diarmuid hoo ha is really dominating the whole replay coverage, to the extent that the improvement required from either team to win is becoming a sideshow. Roll up for the main event, Keegan v Connolly. Never mind stuff like will Brogan or Flynn start, will Dublin improve their performance, will Mayo concede goals again or give away as much possession as they did the last day. It appears that it is been driven by former Dublin players and management, but with the furore over it it's hard to see who, if anyone is going to benefit from it. As someone said earlier, it might actually completely back fire on the side that have so vocally pushed it.

yellowcard

It never seases to amaze me at people's desire to be outraged. The last game was refereed well on the whole yet to listen to the media you would think there was a full scale riot at it. You would see far worse at most club matches up and down the country yet both sides are crying foul at what was nothing more than a bit of handbags. Then to listen to the hypocrisy of tough men like Ciaran Whelan, Paul Clarke and David Brady complaining about rough house treatment you just have to laugh.

As a neutral I hope Deegan referees the game with a bit of common sense and lets it flow rather than blowing for fouls at every hint of contact. The last thing anyone wants to see is a game spoiled by a whistler trying to keep an assessor in the stand with a notebook happy.

Rossfan

Why should a ref not blow his whistle when a man is fouled and is disadvantaged by being so fouled?
"Letting the game flow" is grand up to a point but the Ref's job is to apply the rules.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

yellowcard

Quote from: Rossfan on September 28, 2016, 05:14:41 PM
Why should a ref not blow his whistle when a man is fouled and is disadvantaged by being so fouled?
"Letting the game flow" is grand up to a point but the Ref's job is to apply the rules.

Why? Because such is the nature of gaelic football the tackle is very much open to interpretation. A whistle happy referee will referee by blowing at minimal contact whereas a referee who lets the game flow will allow more physical contact in the tackle. Both can claim justification but I'd much prefer to see the latter as it makes for a far better spectacle. Pat McEneaney used to be the best at refereeing in this manner.   

ZeitChrist

I don't know when everyone got so bloody sensitive, but this kind of craic between Connolly and Keegan goes on up and down the country in club matches and much worse happens too. Keegan and Connolly are two of the best footballers in the country at the moment and the match-up between them is great to watch. Part of the reason it's great to watch is because there's that bit of niggle and bite to it. It's the kind of battle that makes the game interesting and it's something that will be remembered fondly from this era. Former Dublin players crawling out of the woodwork to deliver the same message on Keegan looks very suspicious and if they are trying to influence the ref, that's bad form. Anyway, the idea that Keegan is always the aggressor and Connolly the victim is completely laughable. There's two of them in it and Diarmuid Connolly is a big boy now. He's well able to give as good as he gets and frequently does. Let them off.   
I really hope none of this nonsense seeps into Deegan's mindset, but I fear it could. He is a ref who is easily swayed and influenced to my mind.

yellowcard

Quote from: ZeitChrist on September 28, 2016, 06:41:19 PM
I don't know when everyone got so bloody sensitive, but this kind of craic between Connolly and Keegan goes on up and down the country in club matches and much worse happens too. Keegan and Connolly are two of the best footballers in the country at the moment and the match-up between them is great to watch. Part of the reason it's great to watch is because there's that bit of niggle and bite to it. It's the kind of battle that makes the game interesting and it's something that will be remembered fondly from this era. Former Dublin players crawling out of the woodwork to deliver the same message on Keegan looks very suspicious and if they are trying to influence the ref, that's bad form. Anyway, the idea that Keegan is always the aggressor and Connolly the victim is completely laughable. There's two of them in it and Diarmuid Connolly is a big boy now. He's well able to give as good as he gets and frequently does. Let them off.   
I really hope none of this nonsense seeps into Deegan's mindset, but I fear it could. He is a ref who is easily swayed and influenced to my mind.

Agree fully, too much whinging going on in the newspapers. Big hypocritical cry babies. There should be a rule against talking about the referee before matches, its obvious what Dublin in particular are up to.

gammysolo

Great odds for Mayo at 9/4. Backed them months ago at 7/1. Stand to make 40k if they win. 9/1 to win 4-6 is great bet

Mayo 1-3 pts 4/1
Mayo 4-6 pts 9/1
Mayo 7-9 pts 14/1
Mayo 10-12 pts 25/1
Mayo 13-15 pts 40/1
Mayo 16 pts or more 80/1

macdanger2

Quote from: gammysolo on September 28, 2016, 08:00:57 PM
Great odds for Mayo at 9/4. Backed them months ago at 7/1. Stand to make 40k if they win. 9/1 to win 4-6 is great bet

Mayo 1-3 pts 4/1
Mayo 4-6 pts 9/1
Mayo 7-9 pts 14/1
Mayo 10-12 pts 25/1
Mayo 13-15 pts 40/1
Mayo 16 pts or more 80/1

So you put 5k on Mayo a few months back? Good call  ::)

You should definitely lay them off

gammysolo

Quote from: macdanger2 on September 28, 2016, 08:06:11 PM
Quote from: gammysolo on September 28, 2016, 08:00:57 PM

Mayo 1-3 pts 4/1
Mayo 4-6 pts 9/1
Mayo 7-9 pts 14/1
Mayo 10-12 pts 25/1
Mayo 13-15 pts 40/1
Mayo 16 pts or more 80/1

So you put 5k on Mayo a few months back? Good call  ::)

You should definitely lay them off

Call it a hunch. i really rate this management, most professional and best management mayo ever had