damien barton new burren manager? will he bring the success of old??

Started by kinghen, January 02, 2008, 05:45:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintsofguinness

There's no point talking about Barton or Burren when there are plenty of clubs doing it, it's an issue for the GAA to look at. 
It's quite unfair to single out one club and one man. 

If other clubs in Down are doing the same why shouldn't Burren? 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

theskull1

Are most people not arguing about the basic principle pog? Are you saying that because the precedent has been set elsewhere then it's fair enough what they are doing? WTF!!!!
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

pintsofguinness

I see a club and man named throughout this thread. 

There are other clubs in Down paying managers I presume so why shouldn't Burren spend some cash to put their senior team on a equal footing?

QuoteAre you saying that because the precedent has been set elsewhere then it's fair enough what they are doing? WTF!!!!
No I'm not saying it's ok, I disagree with the paying of managers but it is a issue for the GAA but I wouldn't criticise a club for paying a manager when other clubs in the county are.

Seany

I'm not talking about one individual either, Pints.  I'm talking about the practice. But it takes individuals to keep the practice going. there are many others, eg; Mickey Heaney in Kilcoo (dunno if he's still there) But at least he takes the DUndalk regional team for nothing.  he puts something back.  Barton has never ever taken a team in his own school where he teaches.  never.  Has never done an hours coaching with his club Newbridge, but is poncing round the managerial circuit like Jim McCorry and others of their ilk.  I'm sorry, but I can't stand this business. it bugs the hell out of me. 

theskull1

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 03, 2008, 12:12:32 AM
I see a club and man named throughout this thread. 

There are other clubs in Down paying managers I presume so why shouldn't Burren spend some cash to put their senior team on a equal footing?

Individual examples will always be used in bigger arguments about the rights and wrongs of these things. Barton/Burren is the headline here , but Rafferty/Slaughneil, Moran/Creggan, Cassidy/??? are also big name managers/club that everybody knows are involved in dodgy dealings. Even though I see your point, I think you're being a bit pedantic about the thread title.

Burren with the help of the County Board and Croke Park, should be protesting like all the other clubs of the activities of all the clubs who engage in such practices rather than joining in on this illegal practice should they not?

pintsofguinness

There will always be people like Barton seany..

Burren with the help of the County Board and Croke Park, should be protesting like all the other clubs of the activities of all the clubs who engage in such practices rather than joining in on this illegal practice should they not?
Aye, in an ideal world but you have to be realistic. 

theskull1

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 03, 2008, 12:34:34 AM
Aye, in an ideal world but you have to be realistic. 

IMO...it's time for more people to start protesting about this practice. If we did that then maybe we'd get somewhere instead of staying silent and watching it happen in front of us

We all know the quote " All that is needed for the forces of evil to succeed is for enough good men to remain silent. "

We are all far too silent. Surely we have to make a stand against this, because this very practice has fueled the affluenza that is gripping the GAA in these times.

Seany

People say something has to be done, but in reality, what can be done by the GAA to stop this practice? If a club is paying a boy cash, privately with nothing going thru the books, who or what can stop it? it's easy to criticise the GAA for not putting a stop to it, but it's up to clubs themselves to examine their consciences on this and just refuse to pay.

pintsofguinness

How would people feel about a rule that you can't manage outside your own club or county at adult level?
Maybe transfers could be allowed in certain circumstances as they are with players?

It probably wouldn't address some instances of managers being paid but surely it would put an end to a lot of it.

theskull1

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 03, 2008, 01:04:37 AM
How would people feel about a rule that you can't manage outside your own club or county at adult level?
Maybe transfers could be allowed in certain circumstances as they are with players?

It probably wouldn't address some instances of managers being paid but surely it would put an end to a lot of it.

Was exactly what I was thinking of pog ("yeah right" I hear you say  :)). And if you transfer clubs you'd have to be a member of that club for more than 5 years before you could manage the senior teams within it?

Brick Tamlin

..while also on the subject i see Cathal Murray is away to St Pauls in Belfast, he has gone through quite a few clubs this last while too, maybe its just down to bad luck and circumstance.

Burren are sure to be chasing the highest profile figures every year for managerial posts basically because they have the 'abramovich' clout behind them (we are talkin ridiculous money here) and can clearly afford to cough up no matter what the price may be and also not forgetting or underestimating the Tommy Joe factor - the GAAs very own Bob Sugar (see Jerry Maguire). Think they had asked Mickey Moran too but he turned them down.

it is definitely sad to hear of these guys coming into our counties from outside even moreso in my opinion because of the suffocation it causes for younger up-and-coming coaches who dont get opportunities as easy. it does smack of trying to buy success and undoubtedly while rife throughout the GAA and not just Burren it is disgusting to see and some sort of measures should be implemented by the GAA, but then again that would just be logical and we in the GAA dont really do logical.

blueboy

When did Damien Barton take over and who was there before him?

orangeman

I mentioned this on the Tyone thread a while back so maybe we could elaborate on it here -

Who has managed the most clubs ?

In Tyrone I think there was one individual who had managed 6 clubs -

Any advance on 6 ??????

lynchbhoy