The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

Quote from: Syferus on February 06, 2018, 07:46:15 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on February 06, 2018, 07:44:53 PM
Perhaps not syferus, but when you come out with absolutely turgid sound bites about clubs needing social media strategies and young people not reading anymore, it would suggest that you're good at hearing things, but not so good as listening to the message.

You're the one who thinks VOD services are soon to be a thing of the past..

VOD no. VOD of fast-moving sporting occasions by hobbyists, well that has a much cloudier future, as inevitably most tech fanboys will either get too good at it to give their in-demand services away for free, or in most cases, will find other hobbies and interests that appeal to them more.

easytiger95

Quote from: DuffleKing on February 06, 2018, 07:29:51 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on February 06, 2018, 06:03:58 PM
Wobbler, how much does it cost Armagh TV to broadcast their games? Surely one could extrapolate that business case out into a model for the entire country? I think you are over egging the costs involved and the revenue required.

This is the point that RTE are missing.

Noone is expecting a complete package or anything like it. I - and I am confident a huge body of supporters - would pay for the bare minimum. Do we not all get our hands on matches via a "DVD" which is a single fixed camera? What is wrong with streaming that live on a national league Sunday?

I would wager that noone wants the shite that RTE offer as analysis anyway and certainly they are space wasters on league sunday (which should be a Breaking Ball type program with no studio element).

Rough and Ready is infinitely better than what is laughably described as a "highlights package" currently.

Major Universities in the states have an inhouse sports streaming service. Pay your weekend pass and access their content across the varsity weekends. The might have 4/5 basketball games, 4/5 American football, Lacrosse, soccer, etc. More games than a full football and hurling weekend.

Camera quality varies from 3/4 and decent to single stationary. Commentary varies from well informed volunteers with some professional skills, through enthusiastic fans to no commentary. You know what you're buying and if you're looking for the soccer ladies thirds then you will take what you can get.
Good Jaysis. Duffleking, i worked on breaking ball for 4 years. It was a lot more complex and expensive than you think. And the expense wasn't in the technology. It was in the content creation, the travel, the shooting and the editing- none of which has become cheaper over the years.

Again, if it was easy as you all thjnk and the audience there you all assume, it would be already be in production.

DuffleKing

An episode of Breaking ball cost more than an episode of league Sunday considering all factors - including the RTÉ salaries?

easytiger95

You are coming off very foolish here. An episode of league sunday is quite efficent. Made by rte staff - already on the pay roll. Same with the talent- contracted over the season. Presenter- on staff. Content- feeds from tg4 and eir which you alreadt paid for when you bought highlight rights. Studio- already there. Cameras- already there. Editing of match packages- staff editors. All sunk costs.
Breaking ball, on the other hand, was a commissioned programme, made by an independent production company, with contract and freelance staff, both in terms of location shooting and post production. And it was never an analysis programme. It was a magazine and preview progamme. Completely unsuited for the purpose you are suggesting.
Is this what Michael Gove had in mind when he said people were tired of experts?
I don't know what you do duffle, but if i did i wouldn't presume to tell you how to do it. You are talking about a show i worked on for years as a producer and director. I think  i probably know more about it than you.

BennyHarp

All told, I will have the opportunity at some point over this coming weekend to watch 5 live games, 2 full games deferred and a 90 min highlights programme. I don't think we do too bad on our GAA coverage.
That was never a square ball!!

Syferus

Quote from: BennyHarp on February 07, 2018, 12:49:35 AM
All told, I will have the opportunity at some point over this coming weekend to watch 5 live games, 2 full games deferred and a 90 min highlights programme. I don't think we do too bad on our GAA coverage.

Unless you're from one of the eight or so counties regularly featured that's incredibly shït coverage.

Most of these lower division games have much more interest than any of the LOI or underage rugby stuff that is covered.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Syferus on February 07, 2018, 12:58:03 AM

Unless you're from one of the eight or so counties regularly featured that's incredibly shït coverage.

Most of these lower division games have much more interest than any of the LOI or underage rugby stuff that is covered.

2 of the games are club hurling semi finals and another is Cavan v Meath (not quite in the top 8 ) I will try to watch most of this weekends action and I'll only have direct interest in one of the games. I think GAA fans are happy watching any GAA on TV. If you think over 12 hours of GAA coverage over the course of a weekend is incredibly shit then you clearly never going to be happy. Though I suspect you to be one of those people who just argue for arguments sake. Your discussion with Easytiger reminded me of the kinight in Monty Python who kept wanting to fight on even though his opponent had chopped both his arms and legs off.

Syferus

Quote from: BennyHarp on February 07, 2018, 01:10:51 AM

2 of the games are club hurling semi finals and another is Cavan v Meath (not quite in the top 8 ) I will try to watch most of this weekends action and I'll only have direct interest in one of the games. I think GAA fans are happy watching any GAA on TV. If you think over 12 hours of GAA coverage over the course of a weekend is incredibly shit then you clearly never going to be happy. Though I suspect you to be one of those people who just argue for arguments sake. Your discussion with Easytiger reminded me of the kinight in Monty Python who kept wanting to fight on even though his opponent had chopped both his arms and legs off.

The irony being you clearly don't know a thing about VOD to say that.

If you think the current coverage of GAA by RTE of the league is good or even close to acceptable there is no further discussion needed because you're not seeing what everyone else is.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Syferus on February 07, 2018, 01:16:33 AM

The irony being you clearly don't know a thing about VOD to say that.

If you think the current coverage of GAA by RTE of the league is good or even close to acceptable there is no further discussion needed because you're not seeing what everyone else is.

My point was in reference to the GAA coverage in general which is 12 hours this weekend across all channels. You responded by saying this was incredibly shit. Compared to even 4 or 5 years ago this is a huge stride forward. I don't need to know anything about VOD to recognise that, so yes no further discussion needed with someone who will just argue for the sake of it.

seafoid

The line about most fans being happy watching ANY  GAA  (even hurling ??l ) reminded me of a quote from the editor of nuts:

"
Phil Hilton, editor of Nuts magazine, told the Independent  newspaper. "Men think all breasts are good and are delighted to have access to any at all. The idea that they are connoisseurs is inaccurate. "
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

BennyHarp

Quote from: seafoid on February 07, 2018, 03:32:26 AM

The line about most fans being happy watching ANY  GAA  (even hurling ??l ) reminded me of a quote from the editor of nuts:

"
Phil Hilton, editor of Nuts magazine, told the Independent  newspaper. "Men think all breasts are good and are delighted to have access to any at all. The idea that they are connoisseurs is inaccurate. "

If ever there was a man who feels the need to comment ANY GAA game it is your good self Seafoid. So it is an interesting quote alright.

Ball Hopper

How about expanding GAAGO to cover more games and making it available in Ireland some number of days after the live event...let's say Wednesday every week.

Would there be an appetite for subscribers that way?

Is GAAGO turning a profit at the moment from non-Ireland based subscribers?

I see most games make it onto youtube fairly quickly anyway...here is the Mayo/Kerry game from last Saturday  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Twd1jsOhpog&feature=youtu.be

DuffleKing

Quote from: easytiger95 on February 07, 2018, 12:31:54 AM
You are coming off very foolish here. An episode of league sunday is quite efficent. Made by rte staff - already on the pay roll. Same with the talent- contracted over the season. Presenter- on staff. Content- feeds from tg4 and eir which you alreadt paid for when you bought highlight rights. Studio- already there. Cameras- already there. Editing of match packages- staff editors. All sunk costs.
Breaking ball, on the other hand, was a commissioned programme, made by an independent production company, with contract and freelance staff, both in terms of location shooting and post production. And it was never an analysis programme. It was a magazine and preview progamme. Completely unsuited for the purpose you are suggesting.
Is this what Michael Gove had in mind when he said people were tired of experts?
I don't know what you do duffle, but if i did i wouldn't presume to tell you how to do it. You are talking about a show i worked on for years as a producer and director. I think  i probably know more about it than you.

You are entirely missing my point - willfilly inpresume.

If rte were to make a BB type program Sunday evening they would have the in situ staff to do so?

The only major issue is footage?

easytiger95

The only major issue is footage? Christ.

You are completely ignoring what I told you about the programme. This is the last time I will explain it, because, like many people who are ignorant, you are choosing to argue rather than listen -

Breaking Ball was a preview programme rather than a review programme - this entire thread is based on the perceived lack of and need for review programmes.

Breaking Ball was a magazine programme and specifically intended to take a more in-depth view of the games. Journalists for national newspapers were engaged as editorial consultants - they produced the content and interview ideas, which we as staff would organise, plan, shoot and edit. We tried to work at least two weeks ahead of the games we were previewing None of this was done in RTE, by RTE staff.

Those RTE staff would have been engaged in preparations for their live championship coverage which was why Breaking Ball was done by an independent company.

During the League season, RTE staff would be less busy with GAA content, having only highlights rights, but in the sports department they work across all disciplines, so they would be doing other stuff (that has lessened now, with the loss of rights over the past two years).

In any case, a Breaking Ball style show is exactly the wrong type of show to make to review a weekend of League action - because the viewer doesn't want features about a game that will happen next week, they want to see what happened on that weekend. Which is exactly the nub of the argument that we have been having.

It would also be a large and unwanted expense, especially given that you would then have studio, production and staff resources lying idle as I explained above.

Stop digging.

DuffleKing

You couldn't be any more condescending if you tried.

What league Sunday needs to be is a footage only - with voiceover - review of games. No studio, no presenter, no analysts. Forgive my total idiocy on the subject but that surely requires salaried rte production staff and match footage only. The other fluff is dinosaur stuff.

I have the distinct impression  that your experience bears out the view that this whole area needs new ideas from new people in completely different formats and platforms.