American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heganboy

interesting- obviously a pennington upgrade but how long will it take the team to settle?
not really much of a studley offence, Lavernius Coles and who else?
Giants to be the best team in NYC (NJ) again this year I'm afraid
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

magickingdom

anyone traveling to the states and wanting to take in an nfl game should check this out

American football

The NFL returns next month, and fans will be hoping it can match last season's drama, when February's memorable finale saw the New York Giants cause a major upset by defeating the New England Patriots.

Keith Prowse Travel (01-8783500, www.keithprowse.com), an authorised ticket company for the NFL, is offering tickets throughout the year.

It has tickets for games featuring the New York Jets (from €86.50), Miami Dolphins (from €37.50), Tampa Bay Buccaneers (from €64.50), Oakland Raiders (from €65) and San Francisco 49ers (from €74.50)

© 2008 The Irish Times

AZOffaly

Lads, who is going to the American Football in Wembley? Will we meet up for a jar?

I'll probably be around the environment of the Porterhouse in Covent Garden on the Saturday night, and will head out early to the Green Man on Sunday.

I know it's early for this, but a plan is a plan :D

Puckoon

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=7aVJgoOvvo0

MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL! YYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAA

thejuice

Anyone see the Bucs play the Pats at the weekend, without Tom Brady the Patriots have nothing at QB, The back-ups are terrible. On the other hand the Bucs have 2 many QBs. And after Brady getting ate alive in the Superbowl, none of the O-line look up to much.

OK it was pre-season and they werent starters but with the almost inevitable injuries to the O-line things dont look promising. And Laurence Moroney was going down on contact and not moving the pile at all. Where as his opposite HB for the bucs was getting plenty of YAC's and breaking tackles. The D-line got bossed about for the Pats as well, with the exception of their new middle-linebacker who did well, cant think of his name tho.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Great Leap Forward

I see Chris Henry has been handed one more 'Last Chance' in Cincinnati.

As a Bengals fan I am not sure what to think of this. On on hand he is a talented receiverand is very productive, but on the other hand I thought the team had been moving away from the dubious characters they have employed in recent years.

I guess time will tell.

AZOffaly

I see Chad Johnson is dinged up as well.

thejuice

TJ Housmanzada(?) and Rudi Johnson arent 100% either and havent played a part in the pre-season
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

thejuice

Gene Upshaw passes away at 63

http://www.nfl.com/news/story;jsessionid=5BA93C606BE5F5D6673326BFECEF2EDB?id=09000d5d80a28802&template=with-video&confirm=true

Gene Upshaw, the Hall of Fame guard who during a quarter century as union head helped get NFL players free agency and the riches that came with it, has died. He was 63.

hitzelsperger

Quote from: Rossie11 on August 19, 2008, 04:34:08 PM
Looks like Chad is taking to the pool..

http://football.about.com/b/2008/08/15/chad-johnson-could-out-swim-michael-phelps.htm

Next he'll be claiming he can beat Usain Bolt over 100m.  ::)

lfdown2

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 12, 2008, 04:35:52 PM
Lads, who is going to the American Football in Wembley? Will we meet up for a jar?

I'll probably be around the environment of the Porterhouse in Covent Garden on the Saturday night, and will head out early to the Green Man on Sunday.

I know it's early for this, but a plan is a plan :D

wouldnt mind meeting for a pint at some stage though it is slightly early and id need to see what the story is!!cant wait for it, 2nd nfl game last one was chargers browns which chargers won handy i see this being a tighter game!!

The Iceman

jets giants preseason tomorrow giants side 50yd line row 16 with parking pass

thats what i'm talkin about baby!
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Carmen Stateside

Heading out to it myself. Looking forward to it :)
Would be hoping that both teams will be at full strength for the first half anyway, although both teams may have a few injuries at the wide receiver position.

mc_grens

QuoteSAN DIEGO -- Chargers Pro Bowl linebacker Shawne Merriman said Saturday he has two torn ligaments in his left knee and has been told by doctors that he could suffer a possible career-ending injury if he attempts to play without having surgery.

Merriman said he has tears in both the posterior cruciate and lateral collateral ligaments. He said doctors agree that he needs surgery to repair the damage.

"It could be career-threatening if I did [play]," Merriman said. "It's a possibility. That possibility is still open."

A course of action has not been decided. Merriman, who will consult with a doctor in Miami early next week before making a decision, has been told reconstructive surgery would keep him out for the 2008 season. Another option is a less-invasive surgery that would allow him to play at some point in the season.

"They've all said the same things about the injury," Merriman said. "[They're] kind of surprised that I've been playing with it up to this point."

The Chargers open the regular season Sept. 7 against the Carolina Panthers. Merriman wants to play this season.

Shawne Merriman has two torn ligaments in his left knee.
"That's first and foremost," Merriman said. "That's what I want to do. That's why this decision is even out there still and not already made, because I want to play, period. The question is what should I do? How long should I play with it?

"It's a thousand different options at this point and I'm just trying to make the best one."

Merriman left the team Tuesday to seek opinions from other doctors, a trek that included a visit with renowned surgeon James Andrews on Wednesday in Birmingham, Ala. He said he is seeking as many opinions as he can for a reason.

"I'm just trying to make the best decision possible for the team and for my career," Merriman said.

Coach Norv Turner has remained optimistic all week that Merriman will be able to play this season. He again expressed that hope Saturday.

"Right now, in talking to him, his mind-set is he's doing everything he can to get ready for Carolina, our opener," Turner said. "He just wants to get a little bit more information on his knee."

Merriman has made the Pro Bowl in each of his three NFL seasons. He has 39½ sacks in that span, more than any other NFL player.

Massive blow for the bolts. And for me! I have him in the Montana conerence. I was afraid of this, dropped my back up DB to pick up Justin Tuck from Free Agency. Might put the skids under San Diego's Super Bowl push.