Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: antrimman667 on October 27, 2020, 03:59:31 PM
Quote from: BrendanAntrim on October 24, 2020, 11:04:48 PM
Its hugely frustrating to look forward to another year in the basement. I think we are better than that. Point lost in Sligo and a home draw to Carlow were the most costly days this year; taking last Saturday as an unexplainable blip.

So next year Louth and Leitrim will be down in 4, both beatable, and we have beaten both in recent times. Wexford you suspect will improve, Carlow too. It will be very hard to finish top 2.

'Sack' the manager? and what...who coming in will make a massive difference? What players aren't playing who should be? None except Matt Fitzpatrick.

Continuity I think is a valuable commodity here. Lenny and his team will have learned with each season. Lets put the lessons to work for next year,
Lenny is a huge part to blame for the downfall of the senior teams as of recently, the way he sets his stall with 13 men behind the ball playing a hugely defensive system against teams like Wicklow is purely unacceptable. he has a crop of talent that has came through the ranks and is reluctant to use them and revert to players who are a few years by their sell-buy date. need to refocus with a manager with a clear strategy and a total organizational reform. Players that need to be given a chance in an attacking system that Antrim can actually put scores on the board. the quality is there. Management, not so much.

What's the background team like in Antrim?

I'm glad you were not of the opinion we needed to bring back our better players
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

erinsboy

I can't say I agree with any of antrimman comments ,the players past there sell by date are who?  Michael McCann was the best player on the pitch against Waterford Paddy Cuningham scored almost every time he had the ball ! Who are these young talented players that Lenny has waiting on the sideline? We played with 13 men behind the ball against Wicklow and they still run through the middle or our defence and scored  7 goals( it could have been 10 ) .We need to wake up and realise we don't have the talent in our county at present. Just look at other counties around us that are playing in higher divisions they all have at least a few top quality players .We don't have them and i think there is alot of reasons why ,college football being one but I think from a younger age in other counties players are taking football more serious and are conditioning themselves and changing there life stiles to make sure they are at the top of there game and they have a real desire to play for there county.In Antrim football is just a bit of fun and doing well with club can be the height of a lads dream.I do believe there is other talent in the county that don't make themselves available but I don't know of any that would make much difference to what Lenny already has .Pat Shivers ,Ruairi McCann Creggan and Adam loughran should be in that team but for one reason or another aren't. And there in could be the crux of the problem in most counties players really want to play for there county ,and do the work to get onto the panel that isn't the case in Antrim and playing for Antrim is not a priority.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: referee on October 27, 2020, 10:47:56 PM
I can't buy into this argument that one off the problems is not playing macrory cup football,derry have plenty of players that played macrory cup,they are in div3,Donegal don't have macrory cup but are still one off the top 6 teams in ireland

They've won All Ireland's and league 1 winners and a load of Ulster championships, they have been poor lately but better than us
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Do Donegal not have a very high standard of vocational schools? Fair observation though.

EOC1923

Derrys have went through a lean spell at county level for whatever reason. The quality players are still being produced every year, just look at Bellaghy and Lavey minors recently for example.
Macrory not the be all and end all but more teams and players playing in it would only help, wouldnt hinder.

Rawhide

Giving you an insiders view of Derry. We have struggled recently and dropped divisions, due to poor players and thats why we went to D3, but also we had a v poor manager who took us to D4, that could have been avoided. About 15 yrs ago I noticed a concerted effort from clubs to up the anti in their coaching standards and the amount of time given to it and I think Derry county are now starting to see the rewards at senior level. Glen won 4 ulster minors, Bellaghy & Lavey have to. Our county minor and u20 teams started winning Ulster championships as well. Last season we had schools in the final of the McLarnon and MacRory. So a very healthy picture. Out senior team is young and Gallagher is bringing through a lot of youth. I would like him to be more attractive going forward. I think our future is bright.
cccc is a true supporter lol

antrimman667

Quote from: erinsboy on October 27, 2020, 08:41:32 PM
I can't say I agree with any of antrimman comments ,the players past there sell by date are who?  Michael McCann was the best player on the pitch against Waterford Paddy Cuningham scored almost every time he had the ball ! Who are these young talented players that Lenny has waiting on the sideline? We played with 13 men behind the ball against Wicklow and they still run through the middle or our defence and scored  7 goals( it could have been 10 ) .We need to wake up and realise we don't have the talent in our county at present. Just look at other counties around us that are playing in higher divisions they all have at least a few top quality players .We don't have them and i think there is alot of reasons why ,college football being one but I think from a younger age in other counties players are taking football more serious and are conditioning themselves and changing there life stiles to make sure they are at the top of there game and they have a real desire to play for there county.In Antrim football is just a bit of fun and doing well with club can be the height of a lads dream.I do believe there is other talent in the county that don't make themselves available but I don't know of any that would make much difference to what Lenny already has .Pat Shivers ,Ruairi McCann Creggan and Adam loughran should be in that team but for one reason or another aren't. And there in could be the crux of the problem in most counties players really want to play for there county ,and do the work to get onto the panel that isn't the case in Antrim and playing for Antrim is not a priority.
Some of what you say makes sense, Michael is an exception as far as I'm concerned as he has proven to do it against the best opposition in the country. Paddy Cunningham, yes was good at the weekend against Waterford, but I'm sure a Pat Shivers/Ruari mcCann(Aghagallon)/Eamon Fyfe/Conor Small/Odhran Eastwood could have given the same performance, yet not given the opportunity.
If we cant build a young team that can beat the Waterfords, The Wexfords this would be more beneficial to Antrim in the future.
Lets not forget, Recent Minor/U20 teams have beaten Donegal. Competed with Tyrone and Beaten Armagh at u17 level. the talent IS there.
Yet the old Antrim way applies, Rely on the old guard.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: antrimman667 on October 28, 2020, 10:01:19 AM
Quote from: erinsboy on October 27, 2020, 08:41:32 PM
Some of what you say makes sense, Michael is an exception as far as I'm concerned as he has proven to do it against the best opposition in the country. Paddy Cunningham, yes was good at the weekend against Waterford, but I'm sure a Pat Shivers/Ruari mcCann(Aghagallon)/Eamon Fyfe/Conor Small/Odhran Eastwood could have given the same performance, yet not given the opportunity.
If we cant build a young team that can beat the Waterfords, The Wexfords this would be more beneficial to Antrim in the future.
Lets not forget, Recent Minor/U20 teams have beaten Donegal. Competed with Tyrone and Beaten Armagh at u17 level. the talent IS there.
Yet the old Antrim way applies, Rely on the old guard.

The old guard only came in this season! When some people wanted to see the 'old guard' as they were playing the best football on the club scene..

Very strange post tbf.... I think the players you mentioned there bar Shivers are playing or on the panel

BrendanAntrim

Very strange post tbf.... I think the players you mentioned there bar Shivers are playing or on the panel

They are on the panel, and Pat Shivers is only one year out of minor, he is very young and no doubt will feature in near future.

One more point this campaign, i.e drawing with Sligo instead of losing by 1, or beating Carlow rather than settling for draw after we drew level.....either scenario would have seen us promoted this campaign. In that case there would be no talk of old guard v new crop, new manager needed etc. It would have been job done, that was a successful campaign, lets look to Championship with confidence.

Thats how fine the margins are.

Dunsilly King

I am almost sure Lenny was going after this season regardless of promotion or not. I'm sure that was his position.

Cranfield

That was my understanding as well DK. If we are looking a new manager then the bare minimum that candidate must possess is recent intercounty experience and a good club record.

That leaves us with only two options within the county - Cassidy or Madden.
Cassidy staying at cargin by all accounts and madden likely to be still with Tyrone.

So if we go external do we go after someone like Tony McEntee?

asaffgael

Won't happen. CB won't loosen the purse strings for that one. Did Aidan O'Rourke not have a master plan a few years back right down to development squads that was shot down and the CB went for a cheap option?

On the county team, I think Lenny done right going back to get them seasoned players as they are the best we have in quality. If Mick and Paddy C are still performing at a top level why should a younger person automatically deserve the right to play. Perform in training and when you get your chance and earn your place.

If Lenny goes, is there any other in county options?

paddyjohn

bannside

No PaddyJohn. Its two weeks to our championship and Lenny will be in charge as normal.

EOC1923

Brendan I can tell you are loyal to the cause and I wont fault you for that, but why would would we look ahead to a likely championship meeting with Div1 team Monaghan with confidence?