Retirements

Started by Maroon Manc, July 09, 2018, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

Best player ever out of Donegal and go down as one of Ulster's best ever, once McBearty goes, and he's on the slide already Donegal fall way bck into the pack.

seafoid

His goal against Mayo in the 2012 final was unforgettable. It was a barren decade for the smaller counties but it was great that he got that medal. I still don't understand how they lost 2014. He'll never have to pay for a dinner in New York. A great player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z70yEm5RJIo

Rudi

Donegals best ever player & a gentleman too. Can remember hearing about him & his early playing days with St Eunans college, Donegal Gaa reckoned they had a good one, little did they realise they had a great one. He had it all, no doubt we will see him on the line for Donegal in the future.
Good luck to him.

Wildweasel74

I remember him last Yr minor, think the school team entered at McCrory for a short time because they had him on board.

inroundthesquare

His 3 Donegal county titles with Glenswilly are nearly as impressive - first 3 in their history

Not sure if there were other talented players in that team that came along at the right time but obviously Murphy was the main driver.

From the Bunker

What can one say about MM? He could play 3, 6, 9, 11 and 14 comfortably and often played all those positions in one game.

Rudi

Quote from: inroundthesquare on November 16, 2022, 09:05:09 PM
His 3 Donegal county titles with Glenswilly are nearly as impressive - first 3 in their history

Not sure if there were other talented players in that team that came along at the right time but obviously Murphy was the main driver.

He was main driver in club success, Glen also had all star big Neil Gallagher & Ciaran Bonner who was a very talented club player.

mrdeeds

Class player. First saw him live in Ulster U21 final versus Cavan. Bet Cavan on his own. Cavan maybe better team but just couldn't handle him.

J70

Quote from: Rudi on November 16, 2022, 09:21:48 PM
Quote from: inroundthesquare on November 16, 2022, 09:05:09 PM

He was main driver in club success, Glen also had all star big Neil Gallagher & Ciaran Bonner who was a very talented club player.

Ciaran Bonner was a talented intercounty player too, but didn't stick at it for whatever reason. Only had 2-3 seasons if I recall.

They'd another lad, Colin Kelly, who had one excellent season in 2006 under McIvor, but just didn't have the hunger for the intercounty game. Not sure if he stuck at it with Glenswilly.

laceer

What a player. Force of nature.

toby47

Gutted i'll not get to watch Murphy play again. An unbelievable player. Talking to a few of his team mates over the years, supposedly a serious man in the changing rooms aswell, inspirational. Like a few have said, I fancy Donegal to struggle a bit now.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 16, 2022, 06:53:03 PM
Phenomenal player. I don't know that even with the dubs five in a row dubs team they even had a better player. Donegal will probably go to the doldrums for a while. Mustn't have fancied the new management!

Don't think they did, Murphy was the best player of his generation.

trailer

Quote from: Maroon Manc on November 17, 2022, 08:50:13 AM
Phenomenal player. I don't know that even with the dubs five in a row dubs team they even had a better player. Donegal will probably go to the doldrums for a while. Mustn't have fancied the new management!

Alright calm down for f**k sake. He was very good. A wonderful talent and a great fella it seems as well but you two have completely lost the run of yourselves. Have a lie down.

clarshack

Great player but Cluxton, Brogan and Connolly more influential imo in the same period.

mrdeeds

Quote from: clarshack on November 17, 2022, 09:05:42 AM

Great player but Cluxton, Brogan and Connolly more influential imo in the same period.

You've named three players in one team as more influential while Murphy often had to do it on his own. Not even a comparison.