Westminster Election 12th December 2019

Started by Ambrose, October 29, 2019, 02:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red hander

The BBC's obviously biased reporting of the election has everything to do with licking Johnson's hole to stop him ditching the licence fee... they're getting as bad as Fox News

Kidder81

Quote from: gallsman on December 10, 2019, 02:40:13 PM
Good to see people are managing to restrain themselves when it comes to rhetoric come election time.

Kuenssberg and Maitlis are "vile" apparently.

Morons in 2019 appear to have an inability to distinguish between the fast paced, as near to live as possible action of Twitter and actual journalism.

Yeah as someone said the journalists are in a constant race to be first with "breaking news", and they will take a chance with being first and wrong as opposed to second and right.

Emily Maitlis would, in my mind, be one of the most respected journalists across any medium in the UK. Maybe some of you need to lay off following the Labour Momentum bot accounts for a while.

93-DY-SAM

Good to see people are managing to restrain themselves when it comes to rhetoric come election time.

Morons in 2019 appear to have an inability to distinguish between the fast paced, as near to live as possible action of Twitter and actual journalism.

There is no excuse for inaccurate reporting. It is as simple as that. If one person tells you it is raining outside and another says it is not then it is your job to look out the window and check for yourself. This was lazy journalism at best.

mouview

Quote from: Walter Cronc on December 10, 2019, 11:32:03 AM
Its not beyond the realms of possibilities that Johnson could lose Uxbridge. He's only ahead by 5k in 2017, closing from 10k the previous election. If hes not an MP can he not be Prime Minister?

I think if he loses his seat he can only remain PM by being made a Lord.

gallsman

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on December 10, 2019, 03:34:51 PM

There is no excuse for inaccurate reporting. It is as simple as that. If one person tells you it is raining outside and another says it is not then it is your job to look out the window and check for yourself. This was lazy journalism at best.

It wasn't lazy journalism. Paul Brand for example specifically said "Conservatives are saying X happened". What they're reporting is that the Tories said this, not that it actually happened. A tweet isn't the ten o'clock news ffs

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: gallsman on December 10, 2019, 03:52:57 PM
Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on December 10, 2019, 03:34:51 PM

It wasn't lazy journalism. Paul Brand for example specifically said "Conservatives are saying X happened". What they're reporting is that the Tories said this, not that it actually happened. A tweet isn't the ten o'clock news ffs

Of course it was lazy journalism FFS. She is a BBC journalist who is a near daily fixture on the nightly news. How can it be anything else. You are basically saying she can say whatever she likes, true or not, and so long as it is on Twitter and not the TV then that is alright.

gallsman

Jesus Christ, Kuenssberg tweeted what she had heard. Just like Peston and even f**king Tom Newton Dunn. This is how Twitter works. They didn't report it as fact and when it was apparent that it wasn't true, I know Kuenssberg at least apologised.

Her job is not to be an investigative reporter and tell you the truth. Her job is to report on the politics going on around everything. The conservatives making false claims about someone getting punched is clearly politics.

Going back to your example of the weather, if it's raining outside, her job isn't to tell you it's raining outside. Her job is to tell you that there's a clampet who claims it isn't.

If people want live, rolling fast-paced Twitter style news they have to accept that tweets on live, unfolding events won't have had the benefit of editorial scrutiny. That's just simply the world we live in, not evidence of a pro Tory media conspiracy.

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: gallsman on December 10, 2019, 04:35:58 PM
Jesus Christ, Kuenssberg tweeted what she had heard. Just like Peston and even f**king Tom Newton Dunn. This is how Twitter works. They didn't report it as fact and when it was apparent that it wasn't true, I know Kuenssberg at least apologised.

Her job is not to be an investigative reporter and tell you the truth. Her job is to report on the politics going on around everything. The conservatives making false claims about someone getting punched is clearly politics.

Going back to your example of the weather, if it's raining outside, her job isn't to tell you it's raining outside. Her job is to tell you that there's a clampet who claims it isn't.

If people want live, rolling fast-paced Twitter style news they have to accept that tweets on live, unfolding events won't have had the benefit of editorial scrutiny. That's just simply the world we live in, not evidence of a pro Tory media conspiracy.

I mentioned nothing on a conspiracy on any side. I simply said it was lazy journalism. It's her job like any impartial reporter to tell you the truth. Sadly these days the truth is merely an inconvenience. She didn't tweet the Queen was dead the other day. I'm sure she fact checked that first. This is no different.

gallsman

I imagine she didn't tweet that the Queen is dead because, as the BBC's political editor, she's generally used to having better sources across the board than a screenshot of Gibbo and his mates.

All this hysteria (not from you, I mean in general) demanding that Kuenssberg and Peston reveal their sources is indicative of the mindset of people these days. Everything has to be on the extreme, and there's no such thing as a mistake or something being incorrect. Instead it has to be calculated fake news from the dishonest mainstream media. The Tories and their ilk are a given but the hypocrisy from so many Labour cheerleaders who don't realise how Trumpian the way they behave is is lamentable.

Franko

Quote from: gallsman on December 10, 2019, 04:56:52 PM
I imagine she didn't tweet that the Queen is dead because, as the BBC's political editor, she's generally used to having better sources across the board than a screenshot of Gibbo and his mates.

All this hysteria (not from you, I mean in general) demanding that Kuenssberg and Peston reveal their sources is indicative of the mindset of people these days. Everything has to be on the extreme, and there's no such thing as a mistake or something being incorrect. Instead it has to be calculated fake news from the dishonest mainstream media. The Tories and their ilk are a given but the hypocrisy from so many Labour cheerleaders who don't realise how Trumpian the way they behave is is lamentable.

I'm sorry.  You are wrong.  (and in another swearing frenzy it would seem)

Both she and Peston tweeted it as fact.  No qualification, no "sources tell me" - just fact.

gallsman

Eh, Kuenssberg didn't. See the part in her tweet where she says "hearing that...", that's the bit that gives it away that she's passing on third party information, not reporting facts

Rossfan

Are "we" going to take N Belfast and hold Fermanagh Sth Tyrone?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Walter Cronc

Quote from: gallsman on December 10, 2019, 05:12:13 PM
Eh, Kuenssberg didn't. See the part in her tweet where she says "hearing that...", that's the bit that gives it away that she's passing on third party information, not reporting facts

"Why so serious, son?"

gallsman

The irony of your username in the context of this particular conversation.

Wonder what he'd think of you calling women vile for trying to do their jobs.

trailer

Some amount of dirty actions in the Foyle Constituency. So much for Integrity and Respect.