Europa League

Started by Redhand Santa, March 14, 2013, 09:04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redhand Santa

Must say I've enjoyed the knockout stages of this so far. Much more so than in recent years. There's been a good bit of English interest and it feels a we bit more like the old uefa cup/cup winners cup. The Spurs games have been very good, as was the Liverpool match a few weeks ago. Chelsea one's have been interesting too.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Redhand Santa on March 14, 2013, 09:04:44 PM
Must say I've enjoyed the knockout stages of this so far. Much more so than in recent years. There's been a good bit of English interest and it feels a we bit more like the old uefa cup/cup winners cup. The Spurs games have been very good, as was the Liverpool match a few weeks ago. Chelsea one's have been interesting too.

Yeah, i love two legged ties rather than one game knock-out. With two legs home and away you get to see the strengths and weaknesses of teams. Plus the ties can go to and fro with away goals etc.

T Fearon

One of the best UEFA Cup Finals ever was the 1972 two legged affair between Spurs and Wolves.Spurs win 2-1 in the first leg away,two wonder goals from Chivers,but relied on one of Pat Jennings finest ever games to draw 1-1 at home and clinch the trophy.Legendary boss Bill Nicholson sincerely apologised to e Wolves team in the dressing room after the game for "robbing" them.Could you imagine Ferguson doing that?

SHEEDY

spurs, chelsea and newcastle all through to the 1/4 finals. what odds an all premiership tie in the next round.
nil satis nisi optimum

T Fearon

Hoof Hearted

english clubs have found their level - forget real, barca and bayern, steua bucharest, anzi something and rubin kazan are obviously easirer to beat.
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

ONeill

PADDY POWER

Chelsea 13/5
Tottenham 3/1
Benfica 5/1
Lazio 7/1
Newcastle 8/1
Rubin Kazan 10/1
Fenerbahce 12/1
FC Basel 16/1

Have many teams won the CL and then the Europa the year after? I remember Porto doing it the other way around.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

sammymaguire

Benfica look good at 5/1
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

All of a Sludden

Spuds have to be worth a punt at 3/1.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

T Fearon

Poetic justice if the final 's between Spurs,who should have been in this years a champs league but werent,and Chelsea who shouldn't have been in this years Champs league but were.

All of a Sludden

Quote from: T Fearon on March 14, 2013, 11:09:58 PM
Poetic justice if the final 's between Spurs,who should have been in this years a champs league but werent,and Chelsea who shouldn't have been in this years Champs league but were.

Spuds knew the rules before finishing fourth last season.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

laoislad

UEFA are to announce plans tomorrow that the winners of the Europa League will qualify for the following seasons Champions League from 2015 onwards.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Orior

Quote from: laoislad on May 23, 2013, 09:17:57 PM
UEFA are to announce plans tomorrow that the winners of the Europa League will qualify for the following seasons Champions League from 2015 onwards.

Is that an official leak? Did they want to test reaction in Laois first?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

T Fearon

Saw that earlier today.Good move and will mean more teams will take the competition seriously

Billys Boots

Quote from: T Fearon on May 23, 2013, 09:57:21 PM
Saw that earlier today.Good move and will mean more teams will take the competition seriously

Translation: Spuds might have a chance at last of making the CL, if the top-4 all make the QFs of the CL. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...