All Ireland club football championships 2023/24

Started by Blowitupref, January 06, 2023, 09:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

It's not Mannion, he already gone, still not off the pitch yet mine you, its the other lad standing on the goal line.

grounded

In the last few games Glen have followed the same blueprint. Blistering start like they're going to run away with the game after first 5 or 10 minutes. They then retreat into their shell for the next 10 or 15 minutes and allow opposition back into it. Bit of a surge after half time then a huge lull with a final push last 5 or 10 minutes to kill off the opposition.
         I thought if they were able to stay within touching distance of KC until the last 5 or 10 mins then they had a real chance. KC have shown they have a real vulnerability near the end in close contests. A pity for Glass and Glen but was nice for Connor Ferris given what happened last year.
          Glen can definitely come back but they have a number of limitations which the very top teams will exploit. A fit Mc Faul would solve a number of these issues. Warnock(good as he is) playing at chb means that in most cases there is an aerial threat at chf that has to be covered, with inevitably Glass falling further back in that holding midfield position. Glass covered a huge amount of ground today in a defensive capacity, he rarely pushed forward. That's the way he plays for Glen (and Derry) with Bradley being allowed to push forward more frequently.  But whenever he does push forward Glen look far more dangerous. That's the balance Glen need to change.
         In fairness i thought KC were the better team, with a greater attacking threat and a fine performance from Dias in midfield. I thought it was a huge management mistake to start Mannion as they already had a very settled attack. Anyway congratulations to Kilmacud, best team won.

Wildweasel74

With the subs, are we not bck to time added on for such, not that it would made a difference, Keeper just would took longer with the kick out.

OrchardOrange

Quote from: mrdeeds on January 22, 2023, 05:29:49 PM
Yeah I'd be 100 percent sending in an appeal. Can't make such an error on sideline.

What is it about Derry teams and not being able to take their beatin like men??

mrdeeds

Quote from: OrchardOrange on January 22, 2023, 05:57:47 PM
Yeah I'd be 100 percent sending in an appeal. Can't make such an error on sideline.

I'm not from Derry.

Saffrongael

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on January 22, 2023, 05:03:48 PM
Had enough to win, played rightly outside of a bad 20min spell end of first half. Crokes had way stronger forwards on top of, Walsh and Mannion.

Aye unfortunately Glen can't go into the transfer market like Kilmacud
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Wildweasel74

Glass does play defensive for Derry but with McKinless and Shea Downey,, taking turns as extra sweeper, he can get forward. Derry need to use him as a attacking midfielder as he wasted on the position he plays.

OrchardOrange

Quote from: mrdeeds on January 22, 2023, 06:00:34 PM
Quote from: OrchardOrange on January 22, 2023, 05:57:47 PM

I'm not from Derry.

When did I say you were?

armaghniac

Why can't Glen persuade one of the Cliffords to move to Derry?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on January 22, 2023, 05:57:40 PM
With the subs, are we not bck to time added on for such, not that it would made a difference, Keeper just would took longer with the kick out.

In general you'd add on more time if they are taking the piss, there was extra 45 seconds before he blew I think, he didn't blow exactly when the clock went to 63...
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

Quote from: grounded on January 22, 2023, 05:55:07 PM
In the last few games Glen have followed the same blueprint. Blistering start like they're going to run away with the game after first 5 or 10 minutes. They then retreat into their shell for the next 10 or 15 minutes and allow opposition back into it. Bit of a surge after half time then a huge lull with a final push last 5 or 10 minutes to kill off the opposition.
         I thought if they were able to stay within touching distance of KC until the last 5 or 10 mins then they had a real chance. KC have shown they have a real vulnerability near the end in close contests. A pity for Glass and Glen but was nice for Connor Ferris given what happened last year.
          Glen can definitely come back but they have a number of limitations which the very top teams will exploit. A fit Mc Faul would solve a number of these issues. Warnock(good as he is) playing at chb means that in most cases there is an aerial threat at chf that has to be covered, with inevitably Glass falling further back in that holding midfield position. Glass covered a huge amount of ground today in a defensive capacity, he rarely pushed forward. That's the way he plays for Glen (and Derry) with Bradley being allowed to push forward more frequently.  But whenever he does push forward Glen look far more dangerous. That's the balance Glen need to change.
         In fairness i thought KC were the better team, with a greater attacking threat and a fine performance from Dias in midfield. I thought it was a huge management mistake to start Mannion as they already had a very settled attack. Anyway congratulations to Kilmacud, best team won.
McFaul has no control over what happens next.

OrchardOrange

Quote from: armaghniac on January 22, 2023, 06:02:28 PM
Why can't Glen persuade one of the Cliffords to move to Derry?

Good idea. Plenty of turf cutting opportunities around Glen

Gold

"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

lenny

Great game. Disappointed for Glen as I thought they were slightly the better team. They will rue the missed opportunities but they have the potential to come back in the next year or 2. Congratulations to Kilmacud, they took more of their chances.