Ulster Club SFC 2019

Started by oakleaflad, October 21, 2019, 10:48:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: The Bearded One on November 04, 2019, 09:18:26 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 03, 2019, 10:38:55 PM
Clubs are aware of the rules and regulations, why are people still complaining when 'your' clubs rubber stamps this via county or ulster county conventions?

If you're a member of a club you can it a motion through your club to change it. Until then it's what we've got, not my choice but it's difficult to fix

I don't recall my club rubber stamping anything to do with finish on the day protocols being introduced so not sure you are talking logically here.

Are you on your club committiee? These things are talked about and brought up all the time, anything that the county wants to go with needs to be discussed with your clubs county delegate, then he/she feeds that back.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

The Bearded One

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 04, 2019, 04:11:17 PM
Clubs are aware of the rules and regulations, why are people still complaining when 'your' clubs rubber stamps this via county or ulster county conventions?

If you're a member of a club you can it a motion through your club to change it. Until then it's what we've got, not my choice but it's difficult to fix

I don't recall my club rubber stamping anything to do with finish on the day protocols being introduced so not sure you are talking logically here.

Are you on your club committiee? These things are talked about and brought up all the time, anything that the county wants to go with needs to be discussed with your clubs county delegate, then he/she feeds that back.

Yes, I am. I also have been advised that this was solely the decision of the Ulster GAA competition committee (as is their right) and clubs were not canvassed.
It is what it is. Presumably.

BennyCake

So, if your club votes against this penalties idea, how do they know the county board representative will vote accordingly at the CB meeting? (Or does it even go to a vote at the CB meeting?)

And same goes for when CB reps vote at congress. How do we know they vote as instructed by the club(s)?

shark

Quote from: BennyCake on November 04, 2019, 04:19:09 PM

So, if your club votes against this penalties idea, how do they know the county board representative will vote accordingly at the CB meeting? (Or does it even go to a vote at the CB meeting?)

And same goes for when CB reps vote at congress. How do we know they vote as instructed by the club(s)?

We don't. The CPA tried, but failed, to get a motion approved where voting would be transparent. It showed up the absolute worst of GAA administration.

Milltown Row2

Obviously all counties seemed to be doing their own thing.... As I see it the county are voted in at county convention, they are given the power to do some things, but there should be, on important things, a motion that should be put back to the clubs to say yes or no too penalties to decide games.

Donegal have their own set of rules and we managed to go with 30 yard frees and then had them stopped before it could have been finished, that was a call the chairman made and rightly or wrongly he felt that was the right thing to do.. (I thought it was also)

Its a shambles tbf and I've no doubt that it will be discussed at length in Croke park when they hold their meetings..

That aside, there is no answer to the the draws, 2 periods of extra time, then goes to a replay and then another 2 periods of extra time before penalties?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BennyCake

Quote from: shark on November 04, 2019, 04:23:52 PM

We don't. The CPA tried, but failed, to get a motion approved where voting would be transparent. It showed up the absolute worst of GAA administration.

Yes, they brought that motion to the table because Congress is a load of balls, and everybody knows it.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 04, 2019, 04:40:18 PM
That aside, there is no answer to the the draws, 2 periods of extra time, then goes to a replay and then another 2 periods of extra time before penalties?

The idea earlier is not a bad one - 2 scores in a row to win.

Would be shite for a team playing into a gale - but thats the way the cookie crumbles sometimes.
i usse an speelchekor

Hedgehunter

What about reducing numbers? Say to 11/12/13 a side during extra time.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on November 04, 2019, 06:01:57 PM

Would be shite for a team playing into a gale - but thats the way the cookie crumbles sometimes.

Whatever rule is used someone will complain about it! The current set up is unfair as the Donegal champions got and extra game to win it in normal time, while others had to play out in one day

Main Street

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 04, 2019, 06:20:26 PM

Whatever rule is used someone will complain about it! The current set up is unfair as the Donegal champions got and extra game to win it in normal time, while others had to play out in one day
The club schedule in september and october is intense.
Naomh Conaills had to play 3 games to win their county championship, that schedule coming into the the Ulster club sfc was no advantage.
At least in the Ulster Club SFC  with the penalty shoot out, each winning team will have the same vantage (two weeks) going into the semi final.

The penalty shoot was used in the early rounds of the Monaghan sfc but each losing team had a back door entry into the next round.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Main Street on November 04, 2019, 09:37:02 PM

Naomh Conaills had to play 3 games to win their county championship, that schedule coming into the the Ulster club sfc was no advantage.
At least in the Ulster Club SFC  with the penalty shoot out, each winning team will have the same vantage (two weeks) going into the semi final.

The penalty shoot was used in the early rounds of the Monaghan sfc but each losing team had a back door entry into the next round.

Cargin had a draw and replay that went to extra time, they had to play following week against Derrygonnelly ( who beat the best club team in Ireland  ;D ) when they clearly had players injured or not able to be at their best to play in the first round.

Had they received another week  to rest up they'd have been in a better position. It's down to the county to allow games to be finished, with a view for the allowances of drawn games

BennyCake

2 weeks between Trill/D'Gonnelly QF and the semi. They could have played the replay this weekend, and still a week for the winners to prepare for semi.

If Trill/DG drew again, then have another replay, and push back the semi. What's the problem?

Cross Naomh Conaill played a final in 2010 about a week before Xmas because it kept getting cancelled due to weather. I don't see why the odd replay shouldn't be accommodated too, for the sake of an extra week or two. Sure the AI semi finals aren't until February anyway!

Ball Hopper

Quote from: BennyCake on November 05, 2019, 01:10:33 AM
2 weeks between Trill/D'Gonnelly QF and the semi. They could have played the replay this weekend, and still a week for the winners to prepare for semi.

If Trill/DG drew again, then have another replay, and push back the semi. What's the problem?

Cross Naomh Conaill played a final in 2010 about a week before Xmas because it kept getting cancelled due to weather. I don't see why the odd replay shouldn't be accommodated too, for the sake of an extra week or two. Sure the AI semi finals aren't until February anyway!

Semi finals set for 4/5 January 2020, with finals on 19 January.

BennyCake

Quote from: Ball Hopper on November 05, 2019, 01:17:20 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 05, 2019, 01:10:33 AM

Semi finals set for 4/5 January 2020, with finals on 19 January.

When was that announced?

Still 2/3 weeks to play with before Xmas though. Time enough for replays or postponements.

Main Street

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 04, 2019, 10:49:36 PM
Quote from: Main Street on November 04, 2019, 09:37:02 PM

Cargin had a draw and replay that went to extra time, they had to play following week against Derrygonnelly ( who beat the best club team in Ireland  ;D ) when they clearly had players injured or not able to be at their best to play in the first round.

Had they received another week  to rest up they'd have been in a better position. It's down to the county to allow games to be finished, with a view for the allowances of drawn games
Counties can work out a decent system for themselves, I think Monaghan's is a decent experiment, has worked well this year (at least for Clontibret) and is here to stay. When it comes to the Ulster Club SFC I think a drawn game should be settled on the day and all winning teams have an equal rest period before the semi final / final. The county championship is everything, this provincial competition is bonus territory but adds a taxing nuisance factor if replays are part of the format.