Ulster Club SFC 2019

Started by oakleaflad, October 21, 2019, 10:48:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

I've no problem with the idea of going to penalties to decide a result but if it's good enough for the clubs then the AI final this year should have been sorted in the same fashion too.
That was never a square ball!!

armaghniac

Quote from: BennyHarp on November 03, 2019, 11:14:20 PM
I've no problem with the idea of going to penalties to decide a result but if it's good enough for the clubs then the AI final this year should have been sorted in the same fashion too.

This was a first round game, not the final.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

marty34

Quote from: armaghniac on November 04, 2019, 12:05:18 AM

If the final is a draw, then it goes to a replay.

People really need to know the rules regarding the different games - today's game was to be finished on the day.  That was the directive. 

People just want to make up the rules as they go along.

Eire90

Well they could do this after normal extra time they play a 2nd stage of extra time and the first team to score two points a goal wins

I dont see anything wrong with a shootout tho

BennyHarp

Quote from: marty34 on November 04, 2019, 12:07:58 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on November 04, 2019, 12:05:18 AM

If the final is a draw, then it goes to a replay.

People really need to know the rules regarding the different games - today's game was to be finished on the day.  That was the directive. 

People just want to make up the rules as they go along.

Eh? Who is making up rules? I know the rules (if anything the GAA make it up as they go along - i.e. the Antrim championship randomly goes to free kicks then a replay) but if a game which has thousands of people travelling all over the world to see it, with thousands of pounds spent on banquets etc can't be sorted out on the day then why should a first round championship game? I'm merely making an observation on why does a final have to go to a replay and a first round doesn't? If it's deemed a satisfactory way of getting a result then it should he consistent across all games - especially an AI final.
That was never a square ball!!

tintin25

Anyways....back to the game.  Pleasantly surprised with how Derrygonnelly played, a lot better than I expected.  They cleaned Trillick out at midfield with the no. 9 (McGullion) very impressive...some great catches.  In fairness to Trillick, losing Donnelly was a serious blow as he was their main outlet in the first half and all their good play went through him.  IMO, they prob would have shaded it in normal
time had he stayed on.  You'd expect a Kilcoo v Clontibret final, but plenty of shocks and close games over the weekend in all grades, so no one can be ruled out.

t_mac

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 03, 2019, 05:36:01 PM
Quote from: Angelo on November 03, 2019, 05:32:11 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 03, 2019, 05:29:45 PM
Quote from: Angelo on November 03, 2019, 05:28:54 PM
Quote from: marty34 on November 03, 2019, 05:12:53 PM
Quote from: Angelo on November 03, 2019, 04:52:09 PM
Quote from: Schkite on November 03, 2019, 04:50:33 PM
We won a game in the Monaghan championship on penalties, but it would be an awful way to lose a game. There are time constraints sure, but there must be a better way.

Next score wins would be a much fairer way.

You're the lad preaching about how good Tyrone club football is - you're a waffler, a spoofer.  Another year without an Ulster club senior title.  Gone in the first round...again.

Well done to Derrygonnelly.  A well deserved victory.  Trillick unlucky - ahead on a few occasions but couldn't see it out.  Penalties is exciting for the neutrals.

As an aside, the Derrygonnelly person on Twitter must be good craic.  Done a great job.

Very open competition now.  Cavan champions must have been well poor. Naomh Conaill will get glad of the break now - a well deserved break.

I don't see how that disproves my point at all.

Tyrone still has the strongest senior club championship in Ulster.

Which club championship do you think is strongest in Ulster?

Fermanagh

Derrygonnelly have won 5 in a row in Fermanagh and needed penalties to beat Trillick at home, who were minus their best player for the majority of the game.

Well done to Derrygonnelly too, that was a great win.
Meh came back on again, no excuses please. Frees up the players for McKenna cup at least

t_mac

Quote from: Angelo on November 03, 2019, 05:28:54 PM
Quote from: marty34 on November 03, 2019, 05:12:53 PM
Quote from: Angelo on November 03, 2019, 04:52:09 PM
Quote from: Schkite on November 03, 2019, 04:50:33 PM
We won a game in the Monaghan championship on penalties, but it would be an awful way to lose a game. There are time constraints sure, but there must be a better way.

Next score wins would be a much fairer way.

You're the lad preaching about how good Tyrone club football is - you're a waffler, a spoofer.  Another year without an Ulster club senior title.  Gone in the first round...again.

Well done to Derrygonnelly.  A well deserved victory.  Trillick unlucky - ahead on a few occasions but couldn't see it out.  Penalties is exciting for the neutrals.

As an aside, the Derrygonnelly person on Twitter must be good craic.  Done a great job.

Very open competition now.  Cavan champions must have been well poor. Naomh Conaill will get glad of the break now - a well deserved break.

I don't see how that disproves my point at all.

Tyrone still has the strongest senior club championship in Ulster.

Which club championship do you think is strongest in Ulster?

Quote from: Angelo on October 25, 2019, 11:33:35 AM
Quote from: t_mac on October 25, 2019, 11:28:09 AM

Armagh Harps were beaten by Derrygonnelly Harps, whom then were beaten by Cavan Gaels.

Either way, it's not a good look for Armagh club football as Fermanagh clubs have a very, very poor record in this decade.

;D ;D ;D They seem to be improving unlike Tyrone  - You really are full of maddog shite, is there anything you post that isn't a load of waffle!

The Bearded One

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 03, 2019, 10:38:55 PM
Clubs are aware of the rules and regulations, why are people still complaining when 'your' clubs rubber stamps this via county or ulster county conventions?

If you're a member of a club you can it a motion through your club to change it. Until then it's what we've got, not my choice but it's difficult to fix

I don't recall my club rubber stamping anything to do with finish on the day protocols being introduced so not sure you are talking logically here.
It is what it is. Presumably.

Christmas Lights

Angelo completely windmilling and embarrassing himself in this thread

Look the Tyrone championship is a fantastic competition, it really is, hugely competitive games, excellent teams, excitement, drama, passion, everything you want as a supporter or spectator but can you stop trying to make comparisons between a county championship and a provincial championship.  They are two completely separate competitions. 

LeoMc

Quote from: The Bearded One on November 04, 2019, 09:18:26 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 03, 2019, 10:38:55 PM
Clubs are aware of the rules and regulations, why are people still complaining when 'your' clubs rubber stamps this via county or ulster county conventions?

If you're a member of a club you can it a motion through your club to change it. Until then it's what we've got, not my choice but it's difficult to fix

I don't recall my club rubber stamping anything to do with finish on the day protocols being introduced so not sure you are talking logically here.
Have you checked with your clubs delegates to the County convention?

LeoMc

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on November 03, 2019, 10:14:57 PM
Quote from: Ball Hopper on November 03, 2019, 09:58:22 PM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on November 03, 2019, 09:56:25 PM
Some suggestion earlier of "next score wins" as an alternative - that is a damn good recepie of a complete disaster in the making if it was decided by the referee awarding a "soft", dodgy or 50/50 free kick within scoring distance of the posts which was then knocked over the bar.

No different to he doing it with 10 seconds left in normal time.

Unless the referee tells whoever is taking the free kick that it's the last kick of the half, there's nothing stopping the official to get the team that is one behind "one last chance" from the kickout. In a "next score wins", the game is over once the ball crosses the goal line (assuming the score is not disallowed or made to be retaken).

Or maybe, to steal an idea from Tennis (if that is not too west Brit), first team to go 2 scores clear.

WT4E

Quote from: LeoMc on November 04, 2019, 11:16:43 AM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on November 03, 2019, 10:14:57 PM
Quote from: Ball Hopper on November 03, 2019, 09:58:22 PM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on November 03, 2019, 09:56:25 PM
Some suggestion earlier of "next score wins" as an alternative - that is a damn good recepie of a complete disaster in the making if it was decided by the referee awarding a "soft", dodgy or 50/50 free kick within scoring distance of the posts which was then knocked over the bar.

No different to he doing it with 10 seconds left in normal time.

Unless the referee tells whoever is taking the free kick that it's the last kick of the half, there's nothing stopping the official to get the team that is one behind "one last chance" from the kickout. In a "next score wins", the game is over once the ball crosses the goal line (assuming the score is not disallowed or made to be retaken).

Or maybe, to steal an idea from Tennis (if that is not too west Brit), first team to go 2 scores clear.

Remember an old manager of our club team did this and it was a great way to finish a training match!

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: WT4E on November 04, 2019, 11:48:33 AM
Remember an old manager of our club team did this and it was a great way to finish a training match!

It was...

... as long as ye didn't need to be anywhere for the next hour and half  ;D ;D

[I remember the 2 scores win end of match epics very fondly]
i usse an speelchekor

t_mac

Quote from: regal on November 02, 2019, 11:56:55 PM
I think Armagh's odds of winning promotion will have shortened after tonight. I'd imagine Armagh management will be delighted to have a full hand to chose from for the first league match. Cross nr 6 showed up well I thought.

Take out the O'Neill's and cross are very very ordinary. Although ulster is wide open I can't see clontibret winning it tbh.

Perhaps John mcentee could be enticed into the Armagh management for 2019?

John Mc took bit of stick on social media from so called cross fans, some tools shouldn't be allowed near a keyboard.