Schools Hurling

Started by redsetanta, February 24, 2015, 06:49:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetanta

Quote from: Don Draper on November 23, 2016, 10:01:13 AM
Quote from: redsetanta on November 23, 2016, 09:52:51 AM
Good debate lads but Don what does SCR refer to?
Scoil Chriost Rí, Pat Critchley's domain. Competing at high levels in gaelic, basketball and even soccer.

Don't think we'll have too many from there hurling with the county in the coming years.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

clonadmad

You dont say ;D ;D ;D ;D

still no harm in drawing the parallels

Last Laois winners of the Leinster Schools Senior A Hurling Competition was Patrician College Ballyfin back in 1963,no Laois school has made a final since then.

redsetanta

St Fergals seem to have regressed somewhat aswell since winning the vocational schools a few years ago. They were comfortably the best hurling school in Laois but have now been overtaken by Mountrath and Heywood to a lesser extent.
Who's the driving force behind the hurling in Mountrath?
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

merman

St Fergal's catchment area has contracted greatly in recent years. They set a serious standard for a good number of years and so many Laois hurlers came through there.

Over the last couple of years, students from Durrow are tending to go to Heywood, those from Cullohill are going to Johnstown; Clough, Borris and Killadooley kids to Mountrath or Roscrea. There's always the few who go to St Kierans too.

Quote from: Keyser Söze on November 22, 2016, 11:30:37 PM
I'd also question the type of support we offer schools. I'd really question the return on sending GDAs into schools to do TY coaching courses and referees courses and that type of thing.
Will this help improve the quality of hurler emerging from our secondary schools? In my opinion, no.

I agree. I think our GDAs should be hitting certain primary schools every week where possible; and coaching kids at the youngest age possible. Most primary schools have some parental/club engagement when it gets up to games in 4th-6th class but we need to start catching potential hurlers/footballers at the youngest age.

Keyser Söze

St Fergal's have suffered greatly since Mountrath Community School opened.
They always lost a few to Roscrea (as did Mountrath Vocational School).

The thing about success in Secondary Schools is that is self fulfilling- if work is put in, the young lads buy into it and you will have relative success. That in itself attracts strong hurlers, and the whole thing becomes self fulfilling.

I don't agree that lads should be hired on the basis of medals won, but high profile appointments can help attract hurlers in, and get the whole thing kicked off.

I couldn't say exactly what is or isn't being done in the CBS, but I'd infer from their results that not enough is being done.
As I said already, it doesn't take large management teams to get schools going well. It takes 1 or 2 people to take it on and energise the whole set up. There are two men there surely capable of doing this.
Mick Scully in the CBS, Johhny Casey in Rathdowney, Critchely in SCR, Coughlan in Mountrath.

We need hurling men in Heywood, Mountrath, Mountmellick, Rathdowney and the CBS. There is only so much you can get done in development squads- school environments lend themselves to getting a team going. Easy access to the players and a ready made support base looking for any excuse to get excited and have a big day out.

As well as all of the above it is an effective way of keeping fellas engaged in school, particularly those who may struggle academically or who lack confidence in the school setting.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

clonadmad

Quote from: merman on November 23, 2016, 05:05:53 PM
St Fergal's catchment area has contacted greatly in recent years. They set a serious standard for a good number of years and so many Laois hurlers came through there.

Over the last couple of years, students from Durrow are tending to go to Heywood, those from Cullohill are going to Johnstown; Clough, Borris and Killadooley kids to Mountrath or Roscrea. There's always the few who go to St Kierans too.

Quote from: Keyser Söze on November 22, 2016, 11:30:37 PM
I'd also question the type of support we offer schools. I'd really question the return on sending GDAs into schools to do TY coaching courses and referees courses and that type of thing.
Will this help improve the quality of hurler emerging from our secondary schools? In my opinion, no.

I agree. I think our GDAs should be hitting certain primary schools every week where possible; and coaching kids at the youngest age possible. Most primary schools have some parental/club engagement when it gets up to games in 4th-6th class but we need to start catching potential hurlers/footballers at the youngest age.

How about we aim for once a year for starters?.

I have a lad in 3rd class in school in Portlaoise Parish and he's never had a GDA in either Football or Hurling in to do any coaching with his class.

redsetanta

Behindthefence

Brilliant discussion.

From what I have heard regarding the CBS is that school management have very little interest in sport and that the teachers have struggled for cover and support from management. I heard one story about them being asked which teams had a chance of winning something and looking to pull out the teams that had no hope.

The other factor to consider is that sport is extra curricular and you are depending on teachers to prepare, train and take teams on a completely voluntary basis. With croke park hours, reduced pay and union issues sport can suffer. How management approach sport can also play a huge role.

Mountraths management would appear to support sport as they seem to enter teams in every sport possible. Christy Coughlan and Eddie Kirwan plus a few new teachers are doing great work for hurling over there.

The CBS have Mick Scully, Jimmy walsh and Brian Carroll (new offaly director of hurling) but I'm not sure if Brian is involved with hurling there.

It's a pity, on another point we have someone like Darren Maher in Portlaoise College but no hurlers in there to train.

clonadmad

Very informative post there behind the fence well done.

A lot of nails hit on the head.

Schools should be enhancing and driving on the work being done in the clubs,in a lot of schools the opposite is happening.

Here's the opposite to what we have

https://www.google.as/amp/s/www.sportsjoe.ie/amp/gaa/has-training-got-out-of-hand-at-secondary-school-level-in-gaa/71889?client=safari

redsetanta

In fairness if the CBS can't get the hurling going with the likes of Jimmy Walshe and Brian Carroll working there then there's something not right in the school.  There must be no decent hurlers or certainly not enough of them.

clonadmad

Bit unfair to blame the boys  RS when as behind the fence mentioned the school management don't have any interest in sport.

I'm sure given the numbers involved,you could put out a decent outfit in time.

The college  seems to be a complete black hole as regards the gaa also.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: redsetanta on November 23, 2016, 09:56:14 PM
In fairness if the CBS can't get the hurling going with the likes of Jimmy Walshe and Brian Carroll working there then there's something not right in the school.  There must be no decent hurlers or certainly not enough of them.

1n 2014 Portlaoise won the Laois U16 Hurling title.
In April 2015 Mountrath CS hurled in the All Ireland B Final, there were no Portlaoise players on it.
In September 2015 Portlaoise got to the Minor A Hurling Final & U16 A Hurling Final.

If there are no hurlers in Portlaoise College, I can't see how they can be anywhere except the CBS.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

redsetanta

http://www.leinstergaa.ie/_fileupload/Leabhran%20Eolais%20-%20South%20Leinster.pdf

That is the masters fixture list for all grades in Leinster Schools comps. The CBS have teams entered in the B football competitions at senior and junior level however I don't see the CBS present in any of the hurling competitions and lets be honest all grades/standards are catered for with A to D levels. Maybe someone else has better eyesight and can see them in one of the comps.

I assume the only hurling any of these fella's will get is with Laois schools which isn't of much use.

clonadmad

I had a quick look over the Leinster Schools Competitions and the participation of the Portlaoise schools across Juvenile,Junior and Senior Competitions and the  Divisions that they are in.

Portlaoise CBS

Sth Leinster Juvenile Football B
Sth Leinster Junior Football B
Senior Football B

North Leinster Juvenile Hurling C
North Leinster Junior Hurling C
North Leinster Senior Hurling C

Portlaoise College

Sth Leinster Juvenile Football E
Sth Leinster Junior Football F

I then did a comparison with Knockbeg

Sth Leinster Juvenile Football A
Sth Leinster Junior Football A
Sth Leinster Juvenile Hurling C
Sth Leinster Junior Hurling C
Senior Football A
Senior Hurling C

Teams across all age grades and codes

Mountrath and Heywood also have 5 teams entered across the 6 competitions

Target Man

Portlaoise CBS compete in senior, junior and, juvenile hurling. They are in C grade and usually compete in North Leinster region. Due to play in nth Leinster senior final in next couple of weeks, reached nth Leinster juvenile final last year.