All Ireland club football championships 2023/24

Started by Blowitupref, January 06, 2023, 09:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClubScene13

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on January 16, 2023, 12:01:41 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 16, 2023, 09:55:08 AM
Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on January 16, 2023, 09:31:00 AM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on January 16, 2023, 09:14:37 AM
Kerry can setup internally as best they want for their club championships but it's absolutely disadvantaging clubs from other counties at this stage, the evidence is clear as day, in the final nearly every year and it's only because of the likes of Oughterard springing a huge upset against a Templenoe team that was sprinkled with Kerry county players that it's not every year.

I probably wouldn't be as bothered about it only I've seen my own home place win the Junior AI and how incredible that was for the players and the local people. Huge joy and priceless memories that will last a lifetime for everyone there on the day. Will anyone from our parish present in CP for that final live to see the likes again? Doubtful, this is one shot stuff for most clubs that get to the latter stages, it's hard to take that a team can slog through on a great run to come up against another club who shouldn't have been let into the competition in the first place, and a team from the number one football county in the country no less who would successful enough in the competitions even without such an artificial advantage.

Up to CP to grow a set of balls and ensure that there is a level playing field at this point, they were happy enough to dictate a hard limit to counties who didn't want to cut their number of Senior club teams and shouldn't care about hurting Kerry sensibilities.

The irony here of course being that the Croke Park "16 teams only in Senior" rule is stopping reform of Kerry Senior Championship and thereby holding up an automatic rebalancing of playing field. This is what I've been told at any rate. Kerry want (correctly) to maintain the divisional teams in Senior Championship but willing to restructure and bring more clubs up to Senior - 10 was proposed, along with 8 divisional teams playing off in a round robin to get to 2 teams entering the championship proper with 10 clubs, so 12 teams in effect. But the narrow minded approach in Croke Park was that they weren't allowed to do that.

They told the same thing to Cork I believe, which has almost 250 clubs. That's just daft.

Also, anybody talking about Senior B or playing divisional teams in a separate competition just doesn't get it. That won't be happening.

But it is already happening.. You can't just keep cooking the books to win competitions either though, so it's a bit of a hollow victory when everything is stacked in your favour no?

What is already happening? And no, I doubt any club that wins an All Ireland feels hollow either!

Listen, your entering your 9th best team in a competition where the vast majority of the country are entering their 17th. You're already the kingpins of football, and you reckon this is a level playing field. If you can't see what's wrong with that I don't know. Totally fine within Kerry and it works well for you, but once your in the 1st round of Munster it's a sham.
There's Kerry players togging out in the AI club intermediate and junior every year against club sides that are middle of the pack in their county. #9 from a football powerhouse against #17 elsewhere, keep patting yourselves on the back though

Armagh18

Quote from: ClubScene13 on January 16, 2023, 12:08:22 PM
Kerry can setup internally as best they want for their club championships but it's absolutely disadvantaging clubs from other counties at this stage, the evidence is clear as day, in the final nearly every year and it's only because of the likes of Oughterard springing a huge upset against a Templenoe team that was sprinkled with Kerry county players that it's not every year.

I probably wouldn't be as bothered about it only I've seen my own home place win the Junior AI and how incredible that was for the players and the local people. Huge joy and priceless memories that will last a lifetime for everyone there on the day. Will anyone from our parish present in CP for that final live to see the likes again? Doubtful, this is one shot stuff for most clubs that get to the latter stages, it's hard to take that a team can slog through on a great run to come up against another club who shouldn't have been let into the competition in the first place, and a team from the number one football county in the country no less who would successful enough in the competitions even without such an artificial advantage.

Up to CP to grow a set of balls and ensure that there is a level playing field at this point, they were happy enough to dictate a hard limit to counties who didn't want to cut their number of Senior club teams and shouldn't care about hurting Kerry sensibilities.

The irony here of course being that the Croke Park "16 teams only in Senior" rule is stopping reform of Kerry Senior Championship and thereby holding up an automatic rebalancing of playing field. This is what I've been told at any rate. Kerry want (correctly) to maintain the divisional teams in Senior Championship but willing to restructure and bring more clubs up to Senior - 10 was proposed, along with 8 divisional teams playing off in a round robin to get to 2 teams entering the championship proper with 10 clubs, so 12 teams in effect. But the narrow minded approach in Croke Park was that they weren't allowed to do that.

They told the same thing to Cork I believe, which has almost 250 clubs. That's just daft.

Also, anybody talking about Senior B or playing divisional teams in a separate competition just doesn't get it. That won't be happening.

But it is already happening.. You can't just keep cooking the books to win competitions either though, so it's a bit of a hollow victory when everything is stacked in your favour no?

What is already happening? And no, I doubt any club that wins an All Ireland feels hollow either!

Listen, your entering your 9th best team in a competition where the vast majority of the country are entering their 17th. You're already the kingpins of football, and you reckon this is a level playing field. If you can't see what's wrong with that I don't know. Totally fine within Kerry and it works well for you, but once your in the 1st round of Munster it's a sham.
There's Kerry players togging out in the AI club intermediate and junior every year against club sides that are middle of the pack in their county. #9 from a football powerhouse against #17 elsewhere, keep patting yourselves on the back though
Look the fault isn't with Kerry, they're being let away with it by Croke Park. Totally unfair on likes of those Tyrone teams yesterday.

Armagh18

The reality is that number one it's only club players affected and number 2 its a tiny percentage of club players, it doesn't affect enough people to really kick up a fuss about it.

ClubScene13

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 16, 2023, 12:12:17 PM
The reality is that number one it's only club players affected and number 2 its a tiny percentage of club players, it doesn't affect enough people to really kick up a fuss about it.

Fair point surely, but that junior roll of honour is a horror show. The Galway poster above talking about the once in a lifetime opportunity for these clubs to get their day in Croker is spot on. Just wrong on so many levels.

Bring on the national league, can kick this up again when Austin Stacks are waltzing through Munster Intermediate next year, laughable stuff.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on January 16, 2023, 10:51:21 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on January 16, 2023, 10:09:03 AM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on January 16, 2023, 09:35:30 AM
Fine, don't let Kerry compete in the club inter championship then, this can't be tail wagging the dog stuff.
Absolutely. Why cant they run it that the top 16 teams play senior championship. Twke the best 8 from that and play their divisional comp. Anyone outside the top 16 is playing intermediate, then outside the 32 should be junior. Fossa I imagine without the 2 lads would be well outside the 32 in Kerry so probably struggle most of the year.
They have more internal football competitions to beat the f**king band, a separate Senior club championship already, different North Board, South Board etc. club championships.
It's nonsense that they can't find some way of sending their 17th ranked team but sure it's all CP's fault and everyone else should change to the Kerry format is what I've heard before.
They don't give a f**k, will continue to pat themselves on the back for cleaning up in the lower club competitions. We had to hear enough whinging about funding when the Dubs were doing wreck in the 2010's but an actual complete competitive advantage in these club competitions for another big county doesn't seem as problematic.

You sound very peeved that Kerry's club structure, which predates the All Ireland club championships by decades, works for Kerry clubs? And like many you struggle to grasp the "why"..

Yes, there is a North Kerry Championship, South Kerry Championship etc at the end of the county championships (totally unconnected) in which every clubs first team competes against each other in that district. Fossa were Junior last year and played Crokes who are Senior in the East Kerry Championship for example. Most people from other counties can't get their head around this at all. Why are these competitions there? To give more games, which up to a few years ago was badly needed for teams who were gone from knockout county championships early. Not so much now. But still.

One big thing is that if I compare the few counties I know best, Cork, Clare and Kerry..the average Kerry club footballer gets 3/4 times the games the others do every year. And there are very few meaningless games because A)The county league in Kerry is taken very seriously and there is 3 up/3 down from each division and B)Clubs get to compete against teams in grades above them and have a cut off them. It's a big motivator and Junior clubs have won divisional championships for example. Some clubs thrive on it.

As I said repeatedly, we're not changing our Senior championship to exclude divisions, we're not calling intermediate Senior B - you're either Senior or you're not - but there SHOULD 100% be an increase in number of clubs in SFC to 10, maybe more. That would have a big knock on effect down the levels. Rathmore wouldn't be intermediate last year, Fossa possibly not Junior (although they were rubbish until David Cliff came along) and straight away things are evened out a bit.

In all this wailing and gnashing of teeth by people, is it being ignored that Stewartstown should have won the damn game yesterday? And Galbally missed 2 great goal chances in a one score game? It's not like there's an enormous gap here even as currently stands!
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

Ciarrai_thuaidh

All I asked you was to clarify your post on Senior B or Divisional teams? Which didn't make sense to me.

And no patting on the back going on here. Nearly everyone in Kerry wants to change the system - for the 50th time, it's Croke Park that are blocking that with their stupid rigid 16 team thing. I agree there should be a levelling out.

And just on Munster - if Cork fixed their structure, straight away things would also be more even. They put winners of 3rd tier into Intermediate and 5th tier into Junior, which is silly.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

seafoid

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on January 16, 2023, 12:16:14 PM
Fine, don't let Kerry compete in the club inter championship then, this can't be tail wagging the dog stuff.
Absolutely. Why cant they run it that the top 16 teams play senior championship. Twke the best 8 from that and play their divisional comp. Anyone outside the top 16 is playing intermediate, then outside the 32 should be junior. Fossa I imagine without the 2 lads would be well outside the 32 in Kerry so probably struggle most of the year.
They have more internal football competitions to beat the f**king band, a separate Senior club championship already, different North Board, South Board etc. club championships.
It's nonsense that they can't find some way of sending their 17th ranked team but sure it's all CP's fault and everyone else should change to the Kerry format is what I've heard before.
They don't give a f**k, will continue to pat themselves on the back for cleaning up in the lower club competitions. We had to hear enough whinging about funding when the Dubs were doing wreck in the 2010's but an actual complete competitive advantage in these club competitions for another big county doesn't seem as problematic.

You sound very peeved that Kerry's club structure, which predates the All Ireland club championships by decades, works for Kerry clubs? And like many you struggle to grasp the "why"..

Yes, there is a North Kerry Championship, South Kerry Championship etc at the end of the county championships (totally unconnected) in which every clubs first team competes against each other in that district. Fossa were Junior last year and played Crokes who are Senior in the East Kerry Championship for example. Most people from other counties can't get their head around this at all. Why are these competitions there? To give more games, which up to a few years ago was badly needed for teams who were gone from knockout county championships early. Not so much now. But still.

One big thing is that if I compare the few counties I know best, Cork, Clare and Kerry..the average Kerry club footballer gets 3/4 times the games the others do every year. And there are very few meaningless games because A)The county league in Kerry is taken very seriously and there is 3 up/3 down from each division and B)Clubs get to compete against teams in grades above them and have a cut off them. It's a big motivator and Junior clubs have won divisional championships for example. Some clubs thrive on it.

As I said repeatedly, we're not changing our Senior championship to exclude divisions, we're not calling intermediate Senior B - you're either Senior or you're not - but there SHOULD 100% be an increase in number of clubs in SFC to 10, maybe more. That would have a big knock on effect down the levels. Rathmore wouldn't be intermediate last year, Fossa possibly not Junior (although they were rubbish until David Cliff came along) and straight away things are evened out a bit.

In all this wailing and gnashing of teeth by people, is it being ignored that Stewartstown should have won the damn game yesterday? And Galbally missed 2 great goal chances in a one score game? It's not like there's an enormous gap here even as currently stands!
It works for Kerry. It doesn't work outside Kerry.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

general_lee

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on January 16, 2023, 12:20:11 PM

All I asked you was to clarify your post on Senior B or Divisional teams? Which didn't make sense to me.

And no patting on the back going on here. Nearly everyone in Kerry wants to change the system - for the 50th time, it's Croke Park that are blocking that with their stupid rigid 16 team thing. I agree there should be a levelling out.

And just on Munster - if Cork fixed their structure, straight away things would also be more even. They put winners of 3rd tier into Intermediate and 5th tier into Junior, which is silly.
What's the Croke Park 16 team thing? Are Croke Park saying all counties must have at least 16 clubs at senior level? Or are they saying clubs must have a maximum of 16 clubs at senior level? If it's the latter I don't see how that impedes Kerry from increasing their SFC to 16?

Armagh18

Quote from: ClubScene13 on January 16, 2023, 12:14:44 PM

Fair point surely, but that junior roll of honour is a horror show. The Galway poster above talking about the once in a lifetime opportunity for these clubs to get their day in Croker is spot on. Just wrong on so many levels.

Bring on the national league, can kick this up again when Austin Stacks are waltzing through Munster Intermediate next year, laughable stuff.
Yeah completely unfair on those clubs, I agree 100%

Halfquarter

Stacks have to win In Kerry first before they get a crack at Munster.
Stacks at the moment are no great shakes, would be surprised if they claim the intermediate title next year.

rodney trotter

Quote from: general_lee on January 16, 2023, 12:30:18 PM
Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on January 16, 2023, 12:20:11 PM

What's the Croke Park 16 team thing? Are Croke Park saying all counties must have at least 16 clubs at senior level? Or are they saying clubs must have a maximum of 16 clubs at senior level? If it's the latter I don't see how that impedes Kerry from increasing their SFC to 16?

No, Croke Park has it that the maximum amount of teams in Senior championship is 16. Kerry have 8 clubs and 8 Divisional teams

general_lee

And they have two senior championships? So surely one can have 16 clubs and the other can have 8 clubs along with their divisional sides.

Armagh18

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on January 16, 2023, 12:16:14 PM

No not increased to 10, increase to 16 like everyone else or don't bother entering provincials. Thats a credit to Stewartstown that they were able to compete with a team that should be intermediate. (Fossa probably a bad example to use due to the huge impact the Cliffords have, take them out and they are a poor junior side by looks of them)

Armagh18

Quote from: general_lee on January 16, 2023, 12:59:16 PM
And they have two senior championships? So surely one can have 16 clubs and the other can have 8 clubs along with their divisional sides.
Exactly. Whole thing is a joke tbh.

Armagh18

Quote from: Halfquarter on January 16, 2023, 12:44:00 PM

Stacks have to win In Kerry first before they get a crack at Munster.
Stacks at the moment are no great shakes, would be surprised if they claim the intermediate title next year.
Were they not Munster senior finalists last year? Whats happened them?