Butte, Montana

Started by john mcgill, January 19, 2014, 05:39:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john mcgill

Folks, I'm hoping to drive from San Francisco to Butte, Montana in July.  It's a place I've wanted to visit since I heard about the "Butte brogue" and the Irish that worked on the mines there.  Has anyone been and have they any recommendations?  Thanks

DrinkingHarp

That would be 1,100-1,200 miles one way which would be two days driving, around 9-11hrs with no breaks. Combine the drive back that is 4 SOLID days of just driving, look at flying into Helena via Salt Lake City from San Fran.
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

J70

The missus is a MT woman, but I've never been to Butte. I have read that Paddys Day is a big thing there and there's museums and stuff, but I don't know if its worth a drive from San Francisco. If you're going, make it a major trip as there is so much else to see on the way.

john mcgill

Thanks folks, I'm going to meander to Butte stopping off at different places.  After Butte I am thinking of heading to the coast and going back sourth to SF.  I'm out there for three weeks and have no specific timetable.

give her dixie

I headed off to Butte once from Portland with a couple of lads from Galway and Offaly. We got as far as La Grande and instead of stopping for an hour, we stayed 2 days. We never made it to Butte !!

As you have the time on your hands, it is worth the drive as the scenery en route is stunning. From what I hear, Butte is some spot. The largest Irish population per head of capita at one time during the mining boom.

En route back to SF, head back via Portland, stay a couple of days if possible, then head out to the coast and take the coastal route back south. I have traveled this road many times, and can honestly say it is one of the finest drives you will ever take. Oregon is a beautiful state, and this route back to California is the only way to go.
next stop, September 10, for number 4......