Corcoran bows out

Started by youbetterbelieveit, November 14, 2006, 10:42:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

youbetterbelieveit

Corcoran bows out

Brian Corcoran
14 November 2006

Cork supporters are coming to terms with the news that former Hurler of the Year Brian Corcoran is to quit inter-county hurling.

Corcoran, who won All-Ireland senior medals in 1999, 2004 and 2005, is expected to confirm his retirement when he launches his new book 'Every Single Ball' at Croke Park on Tuesday, November 14. He has cited work and family commitments as the reasons behind his decision.

Though approaching his mid-30s, the news still comes as a shock to Rebel County fans, especially after Corcoran recently declared that he had no thoughts of retirement. Corcoran won a county senior hurling championship medal with Erin's Own last month and was expected to captain Cork next season.

This is Corcoran's second retirement. The once mighty centre back walked away from the game after Cork lost to Limerick in the 2001 Munster championship but ended his exile in 2004 and went straight back into the team in a new role as an attacker.

Excelling in the full forward position, Corcoran won two All-Irelands since his return, scoring two points in the 2004 triumph over Kilkenny and finishing the year as an All-Star winner.

A former dual star, Corcoran made his senior hurling championship debut as a corner back against Tipperary in 1991. In 1993, he skippered the Rebels to a famous National League victory after three memorable games against Wexford and he also lined out for the footballers in their All-Ireland final defeat to Derry.

Corcoran is expected to see out 2006 with his club who meet Clare champions Wolfe Tones in the Munster club hurling championship semi-final in Pairc Ui Chaoimh on Sunday.

johnneycool

I'll always remember Brian in his first spell with Cork as a commanding centre back, one who teams tried to play round rather than out hurl him, something Ger Loughnane always tried to do with his Clare teams in the ninties. No one can give him a bigger compliiment than that.

tayto

Yea, a fantastic hurler, scored some vital points-goals for cork in recent times. He'll be hard to replace, they're lacking ball winners up front now.

hows she cutting

Good luck in your retirement Brian

You deserve it
A class act

Was never sure about his hair style in his early days though!

GalwayBayBoy

Big blow to Cork especially as their underage teams haven't been going to well in recent years so no ready made replacement may exist. Certainly strenghtens Kilkenny's hand even more for next year.

tayto

Much as i'd like to see Galway or Waterford win, Kilkenny are looking like raging hot favorites for next year already. Can Ger bring through the recent uderage teams from Galway, can Waterford get another year out of Paul Flynn.

Waterford Lurker

He has earned his retirement alright, a fabulous hurler

not sorry to see him go for obvious reasons  ;)
Up the DĂ©ise

AZOffaly

Pity to see him retiring. I thought he may have held on for the year, as I thought he was slated to be captain of Cork next year.

Best of luck to him. He's come a long way since I scored 1-4 off him in a football challenge match for the minors :) It was the making of him :)

timmykelleher

Pity to see him go alright.
He seems to have been around forever but was still on top of his game.
His hairstyle, even now, isn't one I'd copy.
The article in the tribune will be good motivation for waterford.

My main memories are as follows..

As a dominant full back for the football minors. Every attack seemed to founder on him. It was like he was playing the opposition single handed at times.

Dominating Pat Fox (?) in his debut season at senior. Being handed long range free duties in his first season. Narrowly missing out on a first all-ireland in a game where a few of those long range frees went astray.

Being tried at centre forward during the years when Cork were struggling and excelling there, in the league at least. (Can anyone tell me what year this was? circa 97?)

The build up to the 1999 final the speculation was about the key battle between Corcoran and Power. I'll always remember Corcoran catching the first ball over Powers head. I don't think Power got a puck that day.

Being shifted to corner back the following year as Offaly were getting an edge. (Can't remember was the problem that he just couldn't handle the size of Hanniffy or were Offaly just running the legs off him?) He certainly wasn't a corner back at that stage.

His reaction to Dinny Cahill's comments about him being washed up.

The goals against Waterford.

His point from the right corner against Kilkenny.

The amount of ball that he handled against Galway.
Corcaigh - McGrath cup champions - 2009

rootthemout

i know its a while since he kicked the big ball but one of the last great duel players.wish him all the best if it is true. ;D

slow corner back

Thats Lohan, McMahon and Corcoran all gone this winter, a huge blow to hurling at a time when it needs stars to liven it up. Cork will miss him but a county that size must be able to find a big ball winning full forward from somewhere.