The Cricket thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, March 05, 2007, 03:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celt_Man

GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Main Street

Brilliant,    I love days like this.

At the break, I honestly thought we were in for a hiding. It wasn't until O'Brien reached 50 and he wasn't bowled out with the next ball, that i thought something special might happen here.
So glad I took the time of to watch it from the first ball to the last.

Better than Stuttgart 1988? who cares ;D

Rossfan

Which team had the most Brits I wonder....... ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Tubberman

Quote from: Rossfan on March 02, 2011, 06:25:09 PM

9 of the Ireland team are Irish-born, 2 qualified through parents/grandparents according to Newstalk.
England had more 'non-natives' on their team, including their captain.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

tyssam5

Quote from: Tubberman on March 02, 2011, 06:34:50 PM

9 of the Ireland team are Irish-born, 2 qualified through parents/grandparents according to Newstalk.

Starting 11 would be 5 Dubs, 2 Aussies, 4 Northern gents.

tyssam5

Quote from: Tubberman on March 02, 2011, 06:34:50 PM

I think the 2 Aussies just qualified from getting passports after playing here and marrying birds. England boasted South Africans at 1,2,3 and 6.

Tony Baloney

tyssam5

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 02, 2011, 07:03:23 PM
f**k I love cricket, me.

Hey if you're getting on the band-wagon at least have the manners to do some research first and throw some 'facts' around.

highorlow

That was some batting by our lads. Roll on the Indians. We are going the whole way this time. Cant wait for the Olympics!
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Main Street

Guardian live match blog

Kevin O'Brien played one of the greatest innings in cricket history to inspire Ireland to an amazing win over England

K O'Brien 51 O'Brien brings up a sensational half-century in style, pulling Anderson behind square for six. He has faced just 31 balls, and this is the fastest-ever ODI fifty by an Irishman. Wonderful stuff.

K O'Brien 76  Sensational cricket from Kevin O'Brien..
He saves the best for last, driving a monstrous six over midwicket – the first 100-metre six of the tournament. "Kapow!" screams Mark Nicholas in the commentary box. O'Brien has 76 from just 38 balls. "We've got the moral victory in the bag,"

K O'Brien 80 O'Brien belts the last ball of the Powerplay, bowled by Yardy, through extra cover for four. This has been a staggering assault:

K O'Brien 100  Kevin O'Brien reaches one of the most amazing centuries in the history of cricket. He has smashed the record for the fastest World Cup hundred. It stood at 66 balls; he needed only 50! It's also the sixth fastest in ODIs. He has gone off on a mini lap of honour, and quite right too. I have never seen anything like this.

IRELAND WIN BY THREE WICKETS WITH FIVE BALLS TO SPARE!
O'Brien demolished the record for the fastest World Cup hundred, smashing his off only 50 balls; and then, at the finish, Ireland were ice cool. They played with stunning maturity when the pressure was on. Ireland have also set a new record for the highest World Cup chase. More importantly, they've beaten England. At cricket. Which is about as improbable as beating them at repressed self-loathing.

England had a shocker, but this is not about them. It's about one of the most charming and joyous wins we'll ever see and a match we will never forget, at least not until we're in the special home and the faculties have gone

Tony Baloney

Quote from: tyssam5 on March 02, 2011, 07:10:08 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 02, 2011, 07:03:23 PM
f**k I love cricket, me.

Hey if you're getting on the band-wagon at least have the manners to do some research first and throw some 'facts' around.
I was in Bangalore when India won it in 2003. Can I climb aboard now?

Lecale2

Someone on the wireless said "this is a bit like England beating Ireland at the hurling after we stole their best players". Class!

Kerry Mike

A great day for those involved at the grassroots level
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

mylestheslasher

I have never watched cricket, probably never will. Couldn't tell you where the nearest cricket pitch is. But this is surely one of the most amazing result in sporting history. It is also f**king hilarious  :D

Orior

Great result. I was following it in work on the net and couldnt believe it.

Why do all teams step up their game when playing Engerland?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians