The Cricket thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, March 05, 2007, 03:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel_Hurl

Gabriel_Hurl

GweylTah

Most exciting game since Ireland v Pakistan.

5 required off 3 balls now!

GweylTah

Fabulous finish - Sri Lanka win by 2 runs! Bopara out last ball!!

Gabriel_Hurl

QuoteIreland hope to draw inspiration from Bangladesh when they take on New Zealand in Guyana on Monday.

Bangladesh upset the odds at the same ground by beating South Africa, who Irish coach Adrian Birrell had tipped as potential World Cup winners.

"For us, it was a warning note that you must respect all teams and all conditions in this competition," said opposite number John Bracewell.

Ireland will give a late fitness test to Andre Botha (hamstring).

"Bowling and batting would be OK, but the fielding might be a problem. He's crucial to our set up, bowling in the power plays and batting at five or six. We have to give him every chance," said captain Trent Johnston.

Kevin O'Brien will return to the Irish side whether Botha is passed fit or not, but New Zealand have again decided not to risk batsman Ross Taylor, who will miss his fourth game in a row because of a similar injury to Botha's.

Seam bowler Mark Gillespie, however, is in contention for his World Cup debut after recovering from a shoulder problem.

But captain Stephen Fleming is against needless changes as they look to maintain the impressive form they have shown since losing to Bangladesh in a warm-up match prior to the start of the tournament proper.

"I have been involved in World Cups where we chopped and changed too much. If you have 12 guys in form and doing well, then keep them," he said.

A win would put New Zealand within touching distance of the semi-finals ahead of games against Sri Lanka, South Africa and Australia, and Fleming is backing his team to keep their momentum going.

"This is a very skilled side. We have come here [to the Caribbean] with a fair idea of what is needed and we are very confident of winning," he continued.

"The hardest part of the job and the toughest week is coming up with the top three to play, but up to now we have done everything that's been asked."

Ireland did well in defeat in their Super 8 games against England and South Africa but need more from their batsmen to test the Kiwis.

A return to form by Jeremy Bray, who began the World Cup with a century but failed to score in the last two games, would be welcome, especially as they will be facing Shane Bond armed with the new ball.

"It's a daunting task before us, but they have not played against us before, so that's an advantage," coach Adrian Birrell commented.

"We are playing at the highest level and to beat big sides we have to give 100%. We have to take every chance - but I am happy the guys are doing very well considering the circumstances."

Birrell impressed Kiwi coach Bracewell after spending a day at Bristol during the latter's spell in charge of English county side Gloucestershire.

"He's upgraded the model of no stars, all team, passion, enjoyment and no fear. They're somewhere they didn't expect to be. Why fear it?" said Bracewell.

"They have had exposure to the county programme and they don't fear big stars anymore. They probably play in the style of the New Zealand team - all for one and one for all."

He added: "We're taking Ireland as seriously as any team we've played. We've scouted them, we've had people watching games, we've videoed them and had information sent over."

The two sides last met in Ireland 13 years ago when Fleming, the only survivor on either side, made 58 as New Zealand scraped to a six-run win.

Ireland (from): T Johnston (capt), J Bray, W Porterfield, E Morgan, N O'Brien (wkt), A Botha, K O'Brien, A White, K McCallan, D Langford-Smith, B Rankin, P Mooney, J Mooney, P Gillespie, K Carroll.

New Zealand (from): S Fleming (capt), P Fulton, H Marshall, R Taylor, S Styris, C McMillan, J Oram, B McCullum (wkt), D Vettori, S Bond, J Franklin, M Gillespie, J Patel, M Mason, C Martin.

Umpires: S Bucknor (WI), S Taufel (Aus)

Norf Tyrone

Good to see Strabane man and an old classmate of mine, Peter Gillespie in the XI today.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Spiritof98

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on April 09, 2007, 05:47:57 PM
NZ - 189/7 after 43 overs

204/7 4 overs

No 4 or 6 for 11 overs
Ireland have a great chance here
I'll go back if Marsdens back

Spiritof98

263 -8 New Zealand had a great last 3 overs, possibly out of touch for Ireland.
I'll go back if Marsdens back

Norf Tyrone

The Kiwis hit 42 off the last 3 overs to ruin a good day's work by Ireland.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

ONeill

Ireland were suckin diesel for a while there.

Collapsed.

Were 109 for 3 in 28 overs.
Now 133 for 8 in 36 overs

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

continuity tug

there are still so called gaels into this shit?
my god

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: continuity tug on April 09, 2007, 09:53:27 PM
my god

A true gael would support his country in whatever they might be participating in Cricket,Soccer,Boxing,Athletics fuckin tiddly winks i don't care i'd support Ireland in anything so get that bag of spuds of your shoulder and grow up and move on
You'll Never Walk Alone.

continuity tug

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on April 09, 2007, 10:00:57 PM
Quote from: continuity tug on April 09, 2007, 09:53:27 PM
my god

A true gael would support his country in whatever they might be participating in Cricket,Soccer,Boxing,Athletics fuckin tiddly winks i don't care i'd support Ireland in anything so get that bag of spuds of your shoulder and grow up and move on
men like you would jump on any bandwagon

The Real Laoislad

No i just support my country men/women when their representing us playing for Ireland
You'll Never Walk Alone.