The Cricket thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, March 05, 2007, 03:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doogie Browser

Quote from: DirtyDozen12 on June 16, 2009, 01:58:43 PM
Cracking finish to the game last night between the Windes and England.  Semi final line ups should be interesting.  I think it could be a Windes vs SA final.
The Jack Duckworth rule is a tad unfair though they do have to get an outcome, but when the english get beat at sport all is fair I suppose.

Paul Collingwood averaged just over 12 for the competiton and only managed 4 boundaries, not good enough.

Declan

Well everyone ready for the greatest sporting event in the world according to Sky?

Doogie Browser

Decent start to the ODI at Stormont today, the hero of the Oval Trott was out for a big fat duck, 129-5 after 38 overs.

Main Street

England 203   50 overs

4 wickets for Trent Johnston including 2 maidens, I'd say he enjoyed that immensely.

Hound

A bit of a sting in the tail for England with Wright and Bresnan getting 50 between them at over 8 an over. Brought the total to 200, which at 4 an over is still very gettable, but maybe beyond our lads. I would have been at lot more confident at 170-180.

Main Street

Not looking great for Ireland
good run rate  of 68 for 10 overs, for the loss of 4 wickets.

Denn Forever

Eoin Morgan gives a helping hand with 67 from 52 balls.  Fair play to him.
And he can't get i n the Test team.
How many positions can he play?  Wickets, Batman.  Can he bowl?

How many of the English/Welsh team are blowins?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Denn Forever on November 06, 2009, 04:48:32 PM

They are littered with blow ins. Trott, Strauss, Morgan, Joyce, KP. I am sure they are loads more.

It's always been the case for England's cricketers from Alan Lamb, Robin Smth, Gladstone Small prev.

An English cricket reporter stated today on the radio, that it's more like watching the Cricketing Barbarians!
A bit hypocritical though.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

AFS

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on November 06, 2009, 06:38:11 PM
Quote from: Denn Forever on November 06, 2009, 04:48:32 PM

They are littered with blow ins. Trott, Strauss, Morgan, Joyce, KP. I am sure they are loads more.

It's always been the case for England's cricketers from Alan Lamb, Robin Smth, Gladstone Small prev.

An English cricket reporter stated today on the radio, that it's more like watching the Cricketing Barbarians!
A bit hypocritical though.

Read this the other day, most of them seem to be South African  :-\

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/oliverbrett/2009/11/post.html

Caid

Ireland will face co-hosts Bangladesh in Dhaka in their opening fixture at the 2011 Cricket World Cup.

The format of the 2011 tournament has changed from the 2007 event, where Ireland progressed to the Super Eights stage after beating Pakistan and earning a tie against Zimbabwe in their group games.

The new format consists of two groups of seven with the top four from each group qualifying for the quarter-finals.

Ireland's opener in Dhaka, Bangladesh, will take place on 25 February 2011 against the side that they beat in the Super Eights in Barbados at the last World Cup.

After the Bangladesh clash, Ireland will move to Bangalore in central India where they will take on England on 2 March and India four days later.

Mohali in northern India is the next stop for Phil Simmons side where they will face the West Indies on 11 March.

Kolkata is where Ireland will play their final group games against South Africa on 15 March and the Netherlands on 18 March.

There will be no St Patrick's Day extravaganza for the Ireland team and the travelling Blarney Army as it is a rest day for Phil Simmons' side.

Ireland defeated Pakistan on St Patrick's Day in Jamaica at the 2007 World Cup, a result that is ranked as one of the greatest upsets in cricket history.

Realistically, Ireland will need to win at least three of their six games to qualify for the quarter-finals.

Ireland skipper William Porterfield is confident that his side can give another good account of themselves at the highest level, following their qualification for the Super 8 phase at the last two ICC tournaments.

Porterfield said: 'It's a tough opener for us. We saw just over 18 months ago how difficult a proposition Bangladesh are in their own back yard when we lost 3-0, but we'll be much better prepared come the 2011 World Cup. It's all going to be about getting acclimatised to the conditions on the sub-continent.

'I know we are currently in the process of getting our itinerary finalised for next year, and we're hoping to get to the sub-continent at least once and probably twice before the 2011 tournament.

'We'll be working hard as we know it's going to be difficult with the group we've been given, but if we play to our full potential, we know we have the ability to win games and reach the last eight.

'I see no reason why we can't make it three in a row in terms of getting through to the final stages.

'There's a lot of big games there which is what you'd expect. Not only do we play Bangladesh on their home soil, but that's a massive clash with India as well.

'It's going to be an incredible experience playing them in front of a capacity crowd of their fans. The England game is one which all the players relish, while I'm sure Phil (Simmons) will look forward to the West Indies game as a former player.

'It's always a challenge when you take on South Africa with the talent at their disposal, but we've acquitted ourselves well against all the top sides in the past.

'Our final game with The Netherlands will be keenly contested. We've had some great tussles with them in recent years, and I'm sure the World Cup will be no different.

'The last two campaigns on the world stage has given the squad a belief, and we know what we can do. We have assembled a pretty talented and experienced squad, and I see no reason why we can't be competitive and reach the latter stages.'
When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

Aerlik

My son made his cricketing debut at the weekend fo his local u-10 team.  Bit of an ignominious debut unfortunately, hit for a golden Duck.  However the laws for that age mean you can't be out on first ball, so he got a second chance and got three runs for his first over before being run out.  I managed to get the moment on camera so when he is making his international debut for Ireland/Australia, it'll be fun to remind him of that momentous day.

To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

stephenite

Aerlik

To be honest, I didn't know how to react.  Funny as feck but still I felt gutted for him as he had been so looking forward to the whole thing.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

stephenite

He'll learn from it surely - as long as he's keen and enoying himself he'll be grand

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...